User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #5446
Trail Dumpster
4.5 Years to Freedom

Oddometer: 152
2005 955 Tigger

Bought this 2005 Tiger a couple weeks back. It belonged to a dude in Colorado, he insurance totaled it in 2008, it was auctioned and repaired that same year by this crazy bike horder out near Salt Lake. It had not been registered since 2008,so it has only 10,000 miles on it. I test road a green 2003 out in Colorado Springs earlier this year and loved it only problem it had was 70,000 miles and no history. I put rear brakes, tires, top box, and a new battery in it. I built some crash bars in my garage and a skidplate is in the works. I also have some sweet 26w LED fog/flood lights to mount on the bars. I needed/wanted a two up ADV bike that I could ride hard and not feel bad about dropping. Paid 3800$ for this Tiger, very happy so far.

1975 Honda XL175
1991 Klr 650.. 1994 FE501 Berg'
Trail Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #5447
yourdrunkdad
I just wanna ride!!

Oddometer: 246
Thats a sweet Dr in the back there. How does that thing ride?
yourdrunkdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #5448
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
I think Drunk Dad should buy a Tiger from Drunk Uncle. Still enough summer to fly n ride.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #5449
yourdrunkdad
I just wanna ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
I think Drunk Dad should buy a Tiger from Drunk Uncle. Still enough summer to fly n ride.
Would love to but im a broke Sgt. In 2015 Dumpster and I will be up there though. I may have an 800xc by then. Maybe you could meet up and drive more north with us.

Thats kinda funny you replaced the Tiger with a KLR, Dumpster replace a KLR wit a Tiger.

yourdrunkdad screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 11:07 PM
yourdrunkdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #5450
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Well not exactly replaced, but I really do like the KLR even out on the road. It just doesn't cruise at 75-80mph like the Tiger does. I just want fewer bikes in the garage, lower insurance, and fewer registration renewals until I find out where I am going from here.

I did the Dempster this year after D2D so probably won't be going up again. There is an MSR bottle full of gas on the side of the road somewhere along with a G650GS tail light assembly complete with license plate. 2014 is going to be my last summer here and hopefully another tour in Europe.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #5451
yourdrunkdad
I just wanna ride!!

I did 3 there at Elmendorf. Wish I could have stayd. Good luck going back to europe.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #5452
Yukon PER
Blacksheep

Oddometer: 462
Rode this Tiger to the dealership a couple of weeks ago. I had it for 7 years and put 37,000 miles on it. I did a 1500 mile trip in May that included the BRP, Tail of the Dragon and the Snake; she never let me down.

Rode this one home...........

Yukon PER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #5453
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon PER View Post
Rode this Tiger to the dealership a couple of weeks ago. I had it for 7 years and put 37,000 miles on it. I did a 1500 mile trip in May that included the BRP, Tail of the Dragon and the Snake; she never let me down.

Rode this one home...........

Nice job! Have a Caspin blue 2006 myself. Curious what they gave you on trade, if you care to share.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #5454
Yukon PER
Blacksheep

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by atokad View Post
Nice job! Have a Caspin blue 2006 myself. Curious what they gave you on trade, if you care to share.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
PM Sent
Yukon PER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #5455
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #5456
Trail Dumpster
4.5 Years to Freedom

Oddometer: 152
Little Ride up to Bear Lake

1975 Honda XL175
1991 Klr 650.. 1994 FE501 Berg'
Trail Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #5457
mountainkiller075
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Camping with a tiger...priceless

mountainkiller075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #5458
Rikki Rockett
Look What The Cat Rode In

Oddometer: 326
Thumb Nice Pics!

Man, there are some nice pictures on this thread. I need to step up my game!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #5459
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
I an now addicted to this thread. Look every day. I had a KLR that I did some of every type terrain on and loved it. My only real complaint was the lack of power. Even heavily modded KLRs are weak. If I can find one in my price range, my next big bike will be a Steamer. I'm getting by with a DRZ now, but long rides kind of suck.

The real reason I am on here is to ask if any of you guys who ride real off road terrain have tried any of the new 19" trials tires on the front? I rode a motor and suspension modded (for off road), KLR that the owner had actually gone down to a 19" front wheel just to try a trials tire, and found it was great. He went back and forth from a trials tire to a small 125cc 100x100x19 I assume, MX type knobby, and decided the trials tire was more versatile. He said he eventually would re-lace another 19 wheel to keep a knobby on, and mostly use the trials tire. He said using a rear knobby on front it lasted 5 times longer than on the rear. KLRs are lighter than Tigers, but I have had mine loaded with 65 lbs of gear and the trials tires did ok with high air pressure. I put about 1500 miles on a Mitas on a KLR and other than normal wear it was fine.

Anyway, I rode this other guys KLR with the 19" trials tire on front, TKC 80 on back, with 15lbs air pressure, (again, rocky off road terrain, singletrack etc). and it was great. On dirt roads, also great. Didn't try it on pavement but I've used rear trials tires before on KLRs and DRZs and they are very versatile. The best for longevity and overall function is a Mitas I think, although many others are not bad. The Mitas has a stronger sidewall than most and wears well. You need to stick with the stronger ones that have stiffer sidewalls on heavy bikes. The Dunlops and Michelins won't hold up, but Mitas and supposedly others do well. There is a 19" Shinko for about 50.00 which seems to be favored by the off road race guys, they say it has a stiff sidewall but I haven't tried it yet.

Many guys on various bikes go to a 21" front wheel to increase ability to roll over trail junk, and to increse ground clearance. Trials tires are about 30% taller than most knobbies, so a 19" would probably be roughly equal to a 20" front tire/wheel setup with a knobby.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any experience with these on Tigers. Keep up the pics and stories! I'm selling toys now to try and get either another KLR, Husky 610, or Tiger, depending on what deals I can find. A Tiger is my first choice now, but they seem to be very hard to find in my area for reasonable prices. KLRs are everywhere, cheap, so we'll see.

Jeff.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #5460
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
What would use a 19" trials tire? Trials bikes are 21/18. I was not aware they made other sizes.

I used rear trails tires on my enduro bikes, but always run a traditional knobb on the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas View Post
I an now addicted to this thread. Look every day. I had a KLR that I did some of every type terrain on and loved it. My only real complaint was the lack of power. Even heavily modded KLRs are weak. If I can find one in my price range, my next big bike will be a Steamer. I'm getting by with a DRZ now, but long rides kind of suck.

The real reason I am on here is to ask if any of you guys who ride real off road terrain have tried any of the new 19" trials tires on the front? I rode a motor and suspension modded (for off road), KLR that the owner had actually gone down to a 19" front wheel just to try a trials tire, and found it was great. He went back and forth from a trials tire to a small 125cc 100x100x19 I assume, MX type knobby, and decided the trials tire was more versatile. He said he eventually would re-lace another 19 wheel to keep a knobby on, and mostly use the trials tire. He said using a rear knobby on front it lasted 5 times longer than on the rear. KLRs are lighter than Tigers, but I have had mine loaded with 65 lbs of gear and the trials tires did ok with high air pressure. I put about 1500 miles on a Mitas on a KLR and other than normal wear it was fine.

Anyway, I rode this other guys KLR with the 19" trials tire on front, TKC 80 on back, with 15lbs air pressure, (again, rocky off road terrain, singletrack etc). and it was great. On dirt roads, also great. Didn't try it on pavement but I've used rear trials tires before on KLRs and DRZs and they are very versatile. The best for longevity and overall function is a Mitas I think, although many others are not bad. The Mitas has a stronger sidewall than most and wears well. You need to stick with the stronger ones that have stiffer sidewalls on heavy bikes. The Dunlops and Michelins won't hold up, but Mitas and supposedly others do well. There is a 19" Shinko for about 50.00 which seems to be favored by the off road race guys, they say it has a stiff sidewall but I haven't tried it yet.

Many guys on various bikes go to a 21" front wheel to increase ability to roll over trail junk, and to increse ground clearance. Trials tires are about 30% taller than most knobbies, so a 19" would probably be roughly equal to a 20" front tire/wheel setup with a knobby.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any experience with these on Tigers. Keep up the pics and stories! I'm selling toys now to try and get either another KLR, Husky 610, or Tiger, depending on what deals I can find. A Tiger is my first choice now, but they seem to be very hard to find in my area for reasonable prices. KLRs are everywhere, cheap, so we'll see.

Jeff.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote