Ohh...we got a "Brain Banger" on board .....eeeheeee
I'm not terribly smart, just educated
"The older I get, the dumber I feel."
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #422
BubbaMc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
To those of you who have adjusted your front preload for the optimal sag measurement of 56mm,

1. How much do you weigh?
2. How many turns of preload did you set?
3. Which mode(s) were you in when this was done?

If you were unable to get the optimal 56mm (I know a few people have reported only being able to set ~25mm), let us know!
BubbaMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #423
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaMc View Post
To those of you who have adjusted your front preload for the optimal sag measurement of 56mm,

If you were unable to get the optimal 56mm (I know a few people have reported only being able to set ~25mm), let us know!
I don't know what my settings (turns) are as I did it in conjunction with the dealer after changing the springs front and rear. It takes at least one other person and really, two helpers are better for most of us; one to hold the bike up with the rider settled on the saddle, and another to take the measurement.

However, it doesn't matter what mode you are in for the front end, except to the extent that the rear sag affects the front as it does not adjust for sag/preload when switching modes. For the rear, I believe it should be set to single rider, urban mode as other settings add preload and/or damping with the presumed increases in weight.

What other people set their static sag to is a bit of a red herring in any case. Your setting will essentially be unique to you. You have to emulate your standard seated riding position with gear and then there is the matter of preference for those of us savvy enough (I don't fall into that category) to know the small differences an mm here or there might make.

For me, it was worth getting help with although the general procedures are easy enough as long as you have the helpers. My dealer essentially did it for free after the spring change.

I have a 2012, but this is one place where I think the general approach is the same for both.

Pampero screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 06:02 PM
Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #424
BubbaMc
Adventurer

Thanks for the reply Pampero however my question was more aimed at 2013 owners.

I've seen a few statements here and there that people have only been able to dial in 25mm of front sag on Skyhook forks.

I'm trying to get an idea of 1. if this is a widespread problem for skyhook bikes (if someone has dialed in 56mm successfully, I'd like to know about it!), and 2. if using a different spring rate would fix it (as far as I know, no one has re-sprung skyhook forks, I'm not sure if it's even possible)

I'm going to adjust mine in the near future, will post how I go.

Thanks again, some good info in your post.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #425
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
You're welcome Bubba. Actually, it wasn't until after I posted that I realized we were on the 2013 thread; by then it was too late and I let it stand after adding my 2012 info. Later I realized you'd been discussing this over on .ms as well. I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

These suspensions will be truly fully active when they are able to manage the sag settings as well, should such a day ever come. As it is, the tech piggybacks on the automotive developments.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #426
BubbaMc
Adventurer

BTW guys I've noticed my forks banging/clunking in some low speed situations (urban and touring modes) with low preload settings.

Increasing the damping setting to a notch or two (firmer) should help to eliminate the clunking. I'll let you know how I go.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #427
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
BTW guys I've noticed my forks banging/clunking in some low speed situations (urban and touring modes) with low preload settings.

Increasing the damping setting to a notch or two (firmer) should help to eliminate the clunking. I'll let you know how I go.
It does seem to effect the initiation of the bang/clang; i.e., it may not occur as easily at some speeds or on some bumps, but, alas, not the existence of the clanging....

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/2664361-post63.html
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #428
O Trader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
More preload is static compression of the spring. This will then reduce the amount of sag to a certain extent but will also allow the spring to expand back rapidly to its set point.

To check this you can set the fork preload to zero (none) and get a friend to help you bounce the front wheel on the ground and lift it of the ground (with the ignition on) then set the preload to the max setting and do the same. Then do it again with the ignition off and note the results.

O Trader screwed with this post 11-29-2013 at 06:03 PM
O Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #429
DropinParts
Ducatista

Oddometer: 93
Cry Mo Rain

I just saw this on the local news and had to take a picture.
It just won't stop raining here. We've had over 70 inches of rain this year.
The most rain in one year for us since the late 1800's. (Western NC)
Old 08-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #430
BubbaMc
Adventurer

Guys with the clunking issue, are you positive it's the front end that's clunking?

While riding slowly today in touring mode I heard it, but the front end soaked up the bump nicely as it should, it wasn't until the rear wheel traveled over the bump that it clunked.

I'm not convinced it's the suspension bottoming out or topping out that's causing it (I'll rest my heel on the swingarm and pay attention to the travel next time it happens), it could well be the chain banging on the guard or even the number plate or flimsy ass rear fender rattling that's causing the noise. Only happens at very low speeds in my case.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #431
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:

Bubba, have you been able to get your own sag measurements yet? If so, what were they? And how much gas was in the tank when you took the measurements?

Hope you're enjoying your bike.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #432
BubbaMc
Adventurer

Not yet mate, should be doing it this weekemd. I'll post the outcome here.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #433
duckman44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Guys with the clunking issue, are you positive it's the front end that's clunking?

While riding slowly today in touring mode I heard it, but the front end soaked up the bump nicely as it should, it wasn't until the rear wheel traveled over the bump that it clunked.

I'm not convinced it's the suspension bottoming out or topping out that's causing it (I'll rest my heel on the swingarm and pay attention to the travel next time it happens), it could well be the chain banging on the guard or even the number plate or flimsy ass rear fender rattling that's causing the noise. Only happens at very low speeds in my case.
It is the forks. When it is the right conditions, it will rattle your teeth. Anyone that has ridden many years most likely has experienced this with an old vintage bike. When a fork on an old bike has lost all of it's damping from lack of oil and whooped dampers, it is an unmistakable feel and sound.
1977 Yamaha XS 400 Cafe Racer - 1976 Honda CB 750 Cafe Racer
1968 Triumph 650 Old School Chopper - 1982 Yamaha 750 Virago
duckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #434
vellies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:

I set mine not too long ago. I weigh 100kg. I ended up 1 full turn out from all the way in on the front. I have a standard model though, so may be different to the electronic suspension models.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #435
O Trader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vellies View Post
I set mine not too long ago. I weigh 100kg. I ended up 1 full turn out from all the way in on the front. I have a standard model though, so may be different to the electronic suspension models.
Vellies - At 90% ( 9 out of 10 turns ) fully pre-loaded does it still clunk once the front wheel leaves the tarmac ? (as rebound controls its speed back to it natural sag level (rider + fuel + luggage) )

O Trader screwed with this post 11-29-2013 at 06:06 PM
O Trader is offline   Reply With Quote