Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #331
FishrCutB8
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 113
But there is an unprotected wifi in the building, and I do have an iPad....

Those are exactly what I was looking for - THANK YOU! It looks like there is a little bend to make things match up, but nothing too bad.

THANKS AGAIN!
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #332
FishrCutB8
Oh HAI!

Success!

What a difference! Had it up to 65 and it was calm, cool, collected. It might look like a barn door, but it WORKS! At one point I was wondering what that sou d was, when I realized it was my tires (that's tyres to our international friends) on the pavement.

Thanks so much for all of the help choosing and installing my Madstad.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #333
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Have you tried it with the side wings installed and compared?

I notice a pretty big difference between having them an not - both ways are far better than stock.

Without = zero buffeting but some persistent wind noise.

With = calm serenity and the chance to hear all the good sounds the bike's making. I've convinced myself that the bike looks ok with them in place, even though my buddy says my bike now looks like a Gold Wing...
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #334
Smopho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Does anyone else's Madstad squeak like crazy on bumpy roads? Mine does and I can't figure out where exactly it is coming from, or it might even be the headlight assembly itself and not the windscreen. I think some rubber isolation washers are in order.
Smopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #335
Applevalleyguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
First ride with my Madstad

65mph, visor up. earplugs out. Heaven!!! Closed my visor---it got louder. Always thought I had a quiet helmet. Damn, now I have to find a quieter helmet. A few notes here:
6'2"--22" screen I think a 20" would have worked as well, and would have given me more adjustability.
Color: Dark Smoke Works fine for me as I don't ride at night. Overall a light smoke might be a better choice.
Fit and finish: Perfect in every way. I can't say enough nice things about this screen and the hardware.
Looks: It grows on you.
Effect: To me it transforms the bike from a good all rounder to a very serious all rounder.
Last view: Perhaps the best screen I have ridden behind.
Applevalleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #336
FishrCutB8
Oh HAI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smopho View Post
Does anyone else's Madstad squeak like crazy on bumpy roads?
It's actually a testiment to the effectiveness of the screen - you can HEAR squeaking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frytown View Post
Have you tried it with the side wings installed and compared?
I wanted to try without first. That will be my next step as it still doesn't feel quite right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applevalleyguy View Post
65mph, visor up. earplugs out. Heaven!!! Closed my visor---it got louder.
Color: Dark Smoke Works fine for me as I don't ride at night. Overall a light smoke might be a better choice.
Mine is light gray and it's perfect. Also, I have the exact same experience with my helmet. I am riding with an HJC modular and it gets LOUDER when I close the visor. Do helmets make that much of a difference?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #337
vanjoosten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Im selling a 20" Madstad Explorer if anyone is interested

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908768
vanjoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #338
TAMPAJIM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Madstad vs stock shield

Guy from Oz posted this video on the T800 site.. Very impressive demonstration of the difference between the stock and Madstad screens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2AruT1PnI-8
Old 08-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #339
BaddAndy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Scored me a stock and a touring Triumph windshield and a Touratech spoiler for $100 off of Craigs list. I mounted the touring one and see if it's what I need next ride. BTW, i have a stock one for sale now with hardware.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #340
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 121
I picked up one of these from Revzilla today. The PUIG touring screen is a very simple bolt on product. Matter of fact it comes out of the box fully assembled. You take the bolts off the stocker and use them on this screen in the same place. The only hard part is swapping the grommets on the front of the screen.

The comfort factor is better at higher speeds taking the pressure off the shoulders and buffeting from the sides of my helmet. With me being 5'10" with my stock seat at the higher position I adjusted the screen to be somewhere between full low and middle. That gave me smooth airflow. The only negative is that the smooth/still airflow on a hot day like today is not wanted. Dropping the screen to full low really doesn't change much of the airflow on your body. I may put my stock screen back on in the middle summer months and use this for colder days and or long highway trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrCutB8 View Post
Stephane (Sleffer) was kind to share these Puig pics. Hope they help.

2000 Ducati 996S - No reason
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #341
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
I may have missed this since I've not read every page in this thread. How does the Tiger work with no windscreen at all? Smooth clean air?
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #342
TigerMarker
Ducati/Triumph

Oddometer: 79
From what others say, yes. No experience myself.
'75 Norton Commando 850 (Sold)
'02 Ducati MH900e (Sold)
TigerMarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:27 AM   #343
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
I may have missed this since I've not read every page in this thread. How does the Tiger work with no windscreen at all? Smooth clean air?
googled and found this

I may cut down my stock unit and paint it black. I'll post results when finished.
2000 Ducati 996S - No reason
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #344
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
googled and found this

I may cut down my stock unit and paint it black. I'll post results when finished.
Thanks! I'm a member over at Triumphrat, but somehow missed that thread. I test rode a Tiger 800 for about 10 miles. Not far enough to get much of an impression, but better than sitting on it in the showroom making vroom noises. On the brief ride the only negative I found was the wind noise and buffeting off the screen.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #345
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,503
I've been running the factory touring shield for the past year and found it okay. But, I did get buffeting and way too much noise. I've been looking to buy the Puig, but it's never in stock, so I gave up and got a Givi instead.

Before anyone posts the praises of the Madstad, I didn't want one. I've had their products before and was less than impressed. For the record: on certain applications I think he makes a good product, but I don't care for it on other applications.

Since I just got the Givi I don't have any ride results yet, but will post them after I'm done evaluating it. One thing I can say is that you have to buy the shield and the mounting kit separately, which is okay, but the mounting kit is NOT complete and it makes you re-use about half of the stock parts. That is a total turn off for me. Also, for that money, it is NOT adjustable, like the Puig or factory touring shield. However, it does integrate well and fits the lines of the bike, so that's a win.

Now, the proof's in the puddling.