ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,256
Best of Montana 2013 Goes Down in Flames Picture Thread

Here's the place for your pictures of the Best of Montana 1000 ride. Post away.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 910
Theme picture

Black Butte Gravelly Range.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,256
HellsAlien is looking sharp in front of the Butte!
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Watercat
Web Footed Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,459
Our fearless leader, Ron, on the first day of the ride; Tented here night before in the park on the Clearwater River in Kamiah, ID.

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,184
Ron, thanks for the great heroshot!

Here's my artsy shot from the Gravellys, before we got down to the fire...

My flaming pic...

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005

HellsAlien screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 08:24 PM
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Starter report – DAY 1

Starter report – DAY 1

The Best of Montana 2013 ride found its roots with the Montana 1000 Rallies of previous years. As a direct follow-up to the Best of Montana 2012, this year the route was basically reversed retaining the Lolo Motorway, the Magruder Corridor, and the Gravelly Ridge Road. These three stretches constitute some of the best remote long distance roads in the country.

This year we started in Kamiah, Idaho with many riders camping the previous night at the Kamiah City Park. Many riders from the greater Seattle area, Spokane area, Missoula, Helena, and even California started the ride with approximately 15 starting from Kamiah.

This ride is advertised as a loose ride requiring riders to be capable of supporting themselves if needed and riders are encourage to group up in smaller groups that match their speed, capability, personality, etc. The route was set by ADV inmate Timmer who could not make the trip himself this year due to a back problem. I collaborated with Timmer and became the Defacto cat herder for this event.

After a quick little section of pavement out of Kamiah, we were off on the dirt. GPS routing being what it is with different units, different base maps, etc. allowed for some rather interesting routes (and stories) from some, but all basically ended up on the formal Lolo Motorway – USFS #500.

The Lolo Motorway has a great series of interpretive signs installed with the Bicentennial Celebration of the Lewis & Clark Expedition. The road is long and surprised some of the riders with its basic ruggedness. This is remote country at its best. The weather was somewhat overcast which made the ride comfortable.

Various subgroups formed and occasionally rallied at key junctions and the numerous interpretive areas spread throughout the 143 mile route.

We planned to meet for dinner at the famous Lochsa Lodge for fuel for both riders and those bikes with smaller tanks. It would be the only gas available between Kamiah and Lolo the next day.

The first camp site was further along with a quick run up US 93 about 14 miles to the Lolo Pass Visitor Center then another stretch on dirt on the Elk Meadow which takes off just to the rear of the Visitor Center. Due to the length and slower than anticipated pace of many of the riders, many (self included) ended up at the primitive camp after 9:30 well into the dark (but the barbeque special at Lochsa made it worth it).

The next morning gave light to a primo view of the Elk Meadows.

Primitive, but special services available.

Enough for day one. I'll let others post thier views and start day 2 tommorrow.

Ron
Old 08-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Watercat
Web Footed Adventurer

Kamiah mural:

. . . . . . .

New friend on the trail . . . . .

Clark caught up with me for a lunch break . . . . . .

Love these alpine skinny trees . . . . . .

Typical hazy view from the Nez Perce trail ridge-top . . . . . Lewis & Clark were lucky to be guided !

Aaaaaaaaaahhh, time to relax !

Sunday is the BBQ special ! ! ! Yummmmm . . . . . . . . . . .

Anyone hungry ? ? ?

Nice view . . . . .

Edit: Forgot to mention that the weather was perfect for a blast up the ridge-top ! ! ! What a great dual-sport ride - Super day one ! ! !

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON

Watercat screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 04:21 AM
Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,422
Great images, thanks!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,184
Best of what we we're doing after MT1K!

Pioneer Bar, Virginia City, MT

Dog passed out on the bar, can't hold it's liquor after a long day in the saddle (it did 200 mi on big KTM today.)

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
Stinky
Team Hematoma

Oddometer: 438
Dave digging the scene(ry)

Boys will be boys...
Old 08-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
Invisidave
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Due to being of complete noob status here, I need to post enough to prove Im not doing the ....which means I cant see if these pics are showing up (using Photobucket). Going to post one pic per reply to try and rack up some ADV street cred.

Heres a morning shot of the camp at Elk Meadows. It was a postcard perfect camp site with the mist hanging low with the trees as a backdrop.

I hope these are linking ok... If not, I'll edit them later.

IT WORKS!!! Ok folks, here we go!

Here is another shot of the lodge (from almost the exact angle as Rons pic). In retrospect, what I really should of done was to get a pic of the baby back ribs...that me and a few lucky ones were there just in time to get. I mean, they were ok... they were sort of hard to eat though, when they kept falling off the bone.

My next post needed the moderator to spam check. Stay tuned!

Invisidave screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 08:46 PM
Invisidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Day 2

Woke up this morning to a beautiful view of Elk Meadows. The site was tucked in the trees just off the road. A small creek meanders close by in the meadow and on down through the trees past the camp site.

The mist in the meadow led to some great pictures as the sun came up and started the day.

From here we progressed on down our dirt route to US 12 just a few miles from Lolo and the junction with US 93. From Lolo we headed south to Florence where we discovered that Long Rider’s Barbecue at the Bum Steer was closed on Mondays – bummer. The route left US 93 for the East Side Highway here also and off we went down over the Bitterroot, on past a herd of Buffalo, and into Stevensville. Good place for lunch and gas with NO ethanol. Several of us hit the local Mexican joint - Fiesta En Jalisco - which has great food, great quantity, good prices. Didn’t hit the Blacksmith Brewery across the street, but they did stock their beer at the restaurant giving the best that could be for lunch. On down the road…

This day was mostly pavement, but had some definite highlights. We continued on to Hamilton where I see other riders hit for lunch. Just south of Hamilton the route turns up the Skalkaho Road to the East starting with pavement and progressing to well maintained dirt. This is a popular road open only in the summer so one has to be aware of oncoming traffic as the road does have its narrow and twisty stretches with steep drop offs. The jewel of this road is Skalkaho Falls where almost everyone has to stop and take pictures.

A refreshing stop.

Moving on, we headed on east crossing Skalkaho Pass eventually hitting more pavement moving on down through a narrow forest of trees that buzz by as the road begs to push the speed up a bit.

A quick run on down the road and we turn into the dirt and zip over to East Fork Reservoir and camp for the night. First problem…the normal USFS campground is closed due to pine beetle infestation. However, there are options and the main group of riders ended up on the other side of the lake up past the lake to a primitive camp site. We set up shelters quickly as an afternoon thunder storm was moving in quickly.

Proof Veestroms, mud, and tree roots don't always agree.

Shelters were barely set when we all bailed in and the rain dumped and the wind blew for the next hour.

The rain went away and normal camp activities ensued. Several riders camped just below the dam and had the privilege of full campground facilities. We closed out the day with a great campfire including some appropriate libation and the ensuing lies and general BS. Another great day!!!

My story and I'm sticking to it. Tommorrow I find my fresh(?) eggs for breakfast.

Ron
Old 08-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
Invisidave
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Here's another pic of the Skalkaho waterfall, with some guy ruining the shot...

This storm was pretty intense. Flashes of lightning immediately followed by super loud thunder right overhead. I tried to stand out in it long enough to take a few pics, but with rain like that, I was gonna be soaked within a few more moments. The kind of rain that makes you smile and laugh at just how ridiculously heavy it is. A good time to be alive...not to mention warm and dry.

When we set up camp, we had a fire pit, moments later that same fire pit had a moat!

Artsy after storm shot

Slowly emerging from the tents the next morning. The GS looking on unfazed by the storm.

Invisidave screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 08:19 AM
Invisidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Day 3 – The Adventure Escalates

Some overcast today, but things dried out overnight…that is except tents and flys which were stowed somewhat damp.

But a good breakfast fixes many things and I found my fresh eggs I thought I had left at home so scrambled eggs it was to start the day.

There are so many ways to cook eggs and you can pick them up 6 at a time or less from most any restaurant. My little old egg holder is still hanging in there after many backpack trips but still keeps the eggs when riding hard.

The front tire was a might low, but good enough to make Anaconda where we would re-supply and gas up for what would be a lot of pavement and some dirt (well for some anyway). We were starting to lose a few riders who had to get back to the real world, but there were plenty left.

In Anaconda, while others hit the Safeway, I pulled out my little air compressor to boost up the front tire. I attached the hose and the handle assembly promptly broke off the pump….. The handle also housed the pipe which connected the compressor head to the hose coupling. The result was all the air in the tire departed through the now dangling hose/handle assembly. The pipe broke off in the cylinder head flush with the surface. Why didn’t I stop off at the convenient store four blocks back that probably had an air station? What to do. Leatherman to the rescue. I found the right combination of tools to use as an easy out removing the small section of pipe remaining in the cylinder head and used the ˝ of one thread left on the pipe to carefully insert the pipe into the cylinder and pump up the tire. On the road again. Tire held for the rest of the trip.

We gassed up just east of Anaconda before heading down the Mt. Haggin Road where the sign says “Rough Road”. Interesting in as much as this is a paved road, but yes, it is rough. Keeps you on your toes avoiding patches and holes, but this is a very scenic section.

We hit MT 43 over to Wise River for lunch and on down the Pioneer Scenic Byway. Arguably one of the best kept secret paved motorcycle roads in the state. Fantastic road and outstanding scenery.

Part way through to Polaris on the south end of this stretch is a dirt side trip up to the old ghost town of Coolidge. Now long abandoned, it was a thriving mining town early in the 1900s including electricity and a rail connection. I’ve been there in the past and you normally walk the last ˝ mile from the parking lot. In fact, the intrepid CDT route maker and our own ADV inmate Canonshot visited this site about three years ago when creating his well used and re-used CDT routes. I know because I and my wife ran into him walking back to his over-loaded KLR just as we took off up the trail. Little would I then realize that meeting was probably what started my many current long distance two wheeled journeys.

We walked up to the town site back then, but today would be different, for I was here a month ago with another riding buddy on ourn “Ghost Town Tour” who happened to notice a sign behind the big sign that said “Road Closed to Vehicles over 40” in Width”. Obviously, that time we rode up to the town site, but this time I thought it had been taken down cause I could not see it, but our sharp eyed ZZO (Pat) looked beyond the big sign (just like my buddy Tim last month) and spied the road closure sign. Needless to say we were off up the rugged little trail without another thought.

Of course no good deed goes unpunished as ZZO did a slow bike drop which would haunt him as he entered the ghost town (pun intended). As Pat pulled up to our stopped bikes at the town site, his old red KLR was making a strange noise as he shut it off and he complained it was over-heating. Something KLRs are NOT famous for. More about that later, it was time to look at the old buildings, or what was left of them. Time and nature have not been kind to the town of Coolidge. There is only one substantial building left, but a lot of decayed buildings.

There is a string of outhouses (or whats left) out back of each main building like there had been a building code or something.

After a quick look-see we were off back to the pavement. Pat’s bike had cooled down and we were sure the fan had not come on when he was traveling the last ˝ mile up to the site. We figured by the time we got moving on the dirt and then pavement, it would be fine without the fan. Rob and I hung back with Pat on down to Polaris and the highway into Dillon with Pat’s bike doing fine. However, my KLR lost all 12 volt power on the last 10 miles. It ran as the ignition is it’s own circuit, but I knew I would not be able to restart with the electric starter so kept on going until we hit MT 278. I had been wiggling in the seat (happens after a 100 miles or so) and found the power loss was an intermittent thing associated with my movement on the seat, so I had a clue to its cause when we finally stopped at the highway junction. A quick look at the fuses found of all things, an intermittent fuse. A swap and we were off to Dillon.

Pat had taken off ahead of Rob to find a MC dealer to look at his bike. Rob spied Pat at the local Honda dealer in Dillon. I pulled in to provide Pat with moral support. Turns out the mechanic was an old Kawasaki mechanic and a current KLR rider himself. An hour later and ANOTHER fuse replaced and we were ready to catch up with the rest of the riders. The fuse had broken when Pat tipped over the bike at the Coolidge parking lot breaking the fuse (located just behind the right side fairing where the bike had dropped).

All was good to go…except another evening thunderstorm hit like a hammer just as we were repacking Pat’s bike. The dealership kindly let us take cover in the showroom until the storm past. When it did, we could see a terrible dark cloud right over the mountains where our route was to take us to Ruby Reservoir.

Being the intrepid adventurers we were, we took refuge at a McDonalds for dinner until the storm seemed to move on. We opted to continue, but decided it best to boogie on up the highway to Twin Bridges, Sheridan, Alder and down to the Reservoir for camp rather than the now probably very slippery dirt going up over the mountains. The Alder convenience store was closed, but it’s gas pumps were not so we gassed up for our entry into the Gravellys the next day. On to camp where we ran into a major gathering of our troops at the reservoir. The rain was gone, the night peaceful and we were ready to assault the Gravellys by a new route the next morning.

By this time, I wasn’t sure who was still with us or if new riders had joined or whatever, but more on that tomorrow….
Old 08-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #15
Watercat
Web Footed Adventurer

Luggage drama

Thanks to Rod for packing the Geeee-veeeee luggage that just kept popping off the Vee . . . . . . One latch broken, one not latching to rack . . . . . .

The Strom bcame the Strap-on.

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON