User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Mr. Fisherman OP
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,658
Brokeback Idaho, Chasing the Nez and Stompin' Stanley

This is the story about my recent 18 day 1730 mile adventure ride with my good friend PeterMAN and our broke back Idaho adventure of discovery.

The plan was pretty simple and was hatched months if not years before... Peter had been trying to talk me into doing the Nez Peirce ride for years. I finally signed up in time and this was the year.

The plan was simple enough... we're going. We had not even determined a meet up location until just days before the event. Madras Oregon which was a mid point for both of us. Finally Madras has a purpose... a place to meet, gas and go.

I was riding my trusted steed, a 2008 WR250X set up for adventure touring and PeterMAN was riding his trusted KLR 685, Grasshopper.

Not many pics of the early part of the trip. We met up at Safeway which was easy to find. The place we were going to have lunch was closed so we just rode onward... planning to stop at John Day City Park for the night.

Just the other side of Prineville we rode through a pretty good storm that dropped hail up to the size of a quarter from the sky... PeterMAN was a fair bit ahead and I swear I could hear him shouting Ouch, ouch, OUCH as we rode through the storm and over the summit.

We stopped in Mitchell for gas and lunch at Tasty Treat... it was pretty good.

We stopped a little further up the road for stogies then on to Jonh Day to set up camp for the night.

A surprise to us, the City Park was charging for camping. This was new and unexpected. Also, they had painted the area and assigned numbers and set up plastic posts and roped off areas, it was all official and stuff.

We camped in PeterMANs favorite spot in the back and headed into town for provisions... Chicken parts, pasta salad and beer. Life was good.

End of day 1.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Mr. Fisherman OP
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Day 2 starts a bit rough for me... I did NOT sleep well at all as I was not able to charge my cpap battery and there was not power available. In my rush and lack of actual planning I had forgotten about this.

I plugged the battery into a charger at the RV park and waited for it to charge while we broke camp. If any of you have experienced this you know what I was going through, I needed to sort this out and the sooner the better.

We packed up and headed out... chasing PeterMAN through the desert we passed all sorts of critters... Peter nearly hits a snake on the road and it sets up and strikes at me as I ride past... not very nice Mr. Snattlerake!

There was a corpse in the road that looked to me like a ferule pig, neither of us were sure what it was...

It was a long hot ride into Boise. First we stopped at Radio Shack... they had parts but would not help with soldering or actually putting anything together. Next we stopped at the local BMW dealer to try to sort out my CPAP battery charging issue. They didn't have what I needed but they did call the local Battery Plus store and verified that they could help. We headed there and experienced the best service I have ever received... A technician there sold me an inverter, changed the power plug from a cigarette lighter plug to the RCA plug that I had bought at Radio Shack and tested it to make sure it would work. This was a 200 WATT coffee cup shaped inverter with 2 outlets and a USB 5V 1A outlet. It was perfect! Finally I was able to charge my CPAP battery while I ride.

Photo credit to Peterman.

Onward and upwards... Gas and refreshments at Idaho City then on to camp for the night near Sour Dough at a place that was shared with me by a local girl at the gas station. It was perfect, secluded and right on the "Pay It River" (almost... read on) It was dubbed Camp Oasis.

PeterMAN is happy after setting up camp...

The view...

The girl at the station had called and checked on fire restrictions and had said that a fire was restricted to established sites and that this site had an established fire ring so a fire should be ok. We checked the sign at the camp and there was nothing restricting it. There were no trees overhead and the pit was deep with nothing but dirt around it for several feet... perfect...

It was nice to have a camp fire.... until someone hotrodded into camp kicking up dust and shining his bright lights on us... It was a forest ranger asking us why we were having a fire in a fire restricted area. We tried to tell him that the girl at the station had called and checked and that we checked the sign for restrictions but he was having nothing to do with it and threatened to issue us a fine if we kept talking (arguing).
We took out bucket and shovel and doused the fire... heck, we were just about to do it anyway when he showed up... He was unable to print us a warning ticket because his printer didn't work. I suppressed the comment about not being able to issue us a ticket then... probably smart.

Anyway, after a very restful slumber and a real mans crap in the woods it was time to saddle up for day 3.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Mr. Fisherman OP
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Day 3 on the road...

We both knew that we had seen no sign warning about the restrictions. We checked the sign at camp and sure enough there was no notice there. The "big yellow sign you had to ride by to get here" was no where to be seen.
On the way out we did see the sign, but we had come in on a quad road and it was NOT visible from that entry point... we were not lying.

Onwards and upwards... Peter pulls over to add a layer as we ascend.
On to Stanley...

Peter gets a shot of me with my trailer in tow...

and gets a great shot of the Sawtooths as we ride...

On to the Sawmill... If any of you are worth your salt you will stop in Sawmill to gas up and get yourself the very best steak and eggs on the planet... Mmm Mmmm Mmmm! Couldn't even get a pic, it was that good. Anytime I am within hundreds of miles of this place I look forward to stopping. Breakfast on the patio was awesome. The fact that a womans bicycle group was riding through the area did not hamper the view .

After breakfast it was on to Bayhorse Lake CG to set up camp for the first night of the Nez Pierce Run.

Then it was on to town for provisions.
While we were there we checked out the cockeyed crosswalk between the two bars on main street...

It needs repainted. The story is that the locals painted the crosswalk so thehy could safely walk from one bar to the other

Back at camp, dinner did not disappoint...

The support rig for the event was very cool too...

This was the first day at the event. We had ridden 716.8 miles to get here and it was worth it.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
Mr. Fisherman OP
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Day 4, 1st day of the Nez!

We wake after a restful slumber... have breakfast and pack up camp. Anyone wondering why I titled this broke back Idaho should have seen me and Peterman after making or braking camp

Mike needs to work on the support van. He needed to burp air from the cooling system after his bypass repair when a hose had broke the day before. I help him with that then pack up.

Peter and I are the last to leave camp. As I hit my starter my battery is dead. I guess the technology on the inverter that shouldn't let you drain down the battery while charging is not working as expected... bummer.

We are able to start the bike rolling down the hill.

All is good for about 2 miles... Right on a steep shale slide area my rear gets really squirly and it took a lot to keep the bike from going over the edge and over the side, several hundred feet. Pucker factor was high as the trailer likes to push the bike in this instance. It was close.

I was able to get it down to a flatter area with some shade so I could change the tube.
Whats wrong with this picture?

The culprit! Never seen a screw like this before and it was sure out of place up here in the wilderness...

Anyway, with the delay we decide to go get gas and shorten our adventure to the next camp. It was not a bad decision...

As we head off on the shortened route we discover what the word gulch means... Silt beds.

I ride through the first one and stop to make sure Peter makes it. He does and I head into the second one... now, the first one was bad enough, but this one was much longer and a lot worse. The dist was more than Axel deep and the ruts and rocks beneath were bad... I barely made it through. I waited on the other side... and waited... and waited.... crap. I had to ride back to check on Peter. He was down in the middle. I could not stop, I had to ride to the other side then wade back to him.
After making sure he was ok I took this pic.

The pic does not do this justice. It was hard for both of us to lift the loaded bike back up. Hos tool tube had broke loose on one side and the left mirror was broken. At least he was ok.

We had both had enough of the silt beds and decided to bypass this section. On the way out we passed a large truck with a big section of pipe or something. It was fun getting around the truck on this road.

Then on to the good stuff.

Camp for the night...

If you look close you can see trails up this sheer face... or maybe it was down it... but either way, WOW!

This was a great spot by the creek...

More camp pics...

Dinner did NOT suck!

For perspective...

Nothing short of amazing!

This was bear country and I thought for sure we would have them poking around camp as you could smell this cooking no matter if you were up wind or down. We did not leave any for the bears... it was delicious!

End of day 1 of the Nez. 828 miles since leaving home. Camp was at 7163'. An eventful start .

Mr. Fisherman screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 11:15 PM
Old 08-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Whoa, what a dinner. May I ask what gearing are you running on the X? I'm buying some knobbies soon and would like to know what works...

Also how much was the trailer?
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
Mr. Fisherman OP
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Nez Day 2, Adventure day 5.

After a restful slumber and a delicious meal we pack up. Again Peter and I are the last to leave camp. This is mostly my fault as I am in no hurry.

We hit the road and I have a close call early. On the way out I saw a juvenile Coyote and a beautiful Red Tail Hawk.
I am a bit concerned about not having a spare tube anymore and I take it easy. We head into town for lunch and gas then get started on the days adventure.

After a bit of a detour we head into the canyon... the views are stunning.

As we ride along I start to find my groove and the speed starts to creep up, and up, and up.... soon we are flying and I am loving it! A little while later I come up on 3 riders. It is hard to believe we closed on them and passed them so fast. It was right before a cattle guard for me... passing a KTM 990, then a KTM 950, then the big BMW GS, passing the first just before the cattle guard and flying through the air past the second and landing to pass the third... I wish I had footage.
The ride didn't seem to last long at all. Soon we were across the desert and back into the mountains. I had a close call with a deer just a few miles from camp.
We were the 3rd and 4th bike to make it to camp and we got a fantastic spot, the best of the trip. It was right on the creek and there was a waterfall in camp, awesome.

The view out my front door made me think of my friend Ladybug.... flowers for her...

My setup inside the tent...

From across the creek...

Camp PeterMAN...

another flower shot...

It was nice to be able to take a shower in the middle of nowhere.

After cleaning up and unwinding for a bit we hiked across the creek to try to get a better look at a couple of raptors. That's when we came across this tree that had healed around a fallen branch from a fire years ago...

We never got a good look at the bird. I suspect it was a Coopers Hawk.

This was a great day.

935.3 miles since leaving home. Camp was at 7298'.

Mr. Fisherman screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 03:47 AM
Old 08-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,016
IN! Great start!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #8
Mr. Fisherman OP
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Nez Day 3, Adventure day 5.

Another restful night and we are up and at em.

Have breakfast and head out. It dawns on me how lucky I was the day before and I take it a lot easier. I don't want to risk getting a flat without a spare tube.

We stop off at a hot spring that has tropical fish then continue on. While we are stopped I notice I am missing a bolt to my side stand. I don't have a spare this size and there is no way to wire it. I tighten the other bolt holding it but due to the way it is mounted I need to take it easy. We opt for pavement and take it easy. As we ride into Chalice there is evidence of the fires nearby. The fire camp is in full swing and tankers and helicopters are all over the place.

On the way to camp we see another Red Tailed Hawk, deer and a herd of Big Horn Sheep.

We set up camp at Chalice Hot Springs and enjoy a shower and a soak.

Another awesome meal...

1027.5 miles so far. Camp at 4907'.

Mr. Fisherman screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 12:29 AM
Old 08-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
Mr. Fisherman OP
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
Whoa, what a dinner. May I ask what gearing are you running on the X? I'm buying some knobbies soon and would like to know what works...

Also how much was the trailer?

I am running 14 50. Same as Big Dog.
http://bigdogadventures.com/WR250R.htm

Trailer details here:

http://motomule.com/trailers.html
Old 08-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #10
Mr. Fisherman OP
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Nez Day 4, Adventure Day 8

Fresh and relaxed, it is time to break camp for the last time on the Nez.

The day prior a friend had found me a replacement bolt for my side stand and a spare tube! Awesome.

I put the bolt on with some lock tight and was set for adventure.

We had intended to ride Custer Motorway, but it was still closed due to the fire and had not opened yet. We slabbed it to Grand Jean and the Sawtooth Lodge.

We set up camp and relaxed...

This was the first day of the Stanley Stomp.... a lot of these bikes were not suitable for the Nez.
The van made it...

It was my last night with my Nez Brothers and I was a little sad in a way. I had signed up for the Stomp too but I didn't really know anyone. No problem, this is an adventure, right?

I had met a lot of good people and some old friends on the Nez... I will be back. I made some new friends that I plan to keep.

1137 miles since leaving home. Camp was at 5134'.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #11
Mr. Fisherman OP
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Stanley Stomp Day 2, Adventure Day 9

Today Peter packs up and heads for home. It sure was fun adventuring with him again and I am a little sad to see him ride off.

I spent the day lounging around camp, taking in a few presentations and swimming a few laps in the pool. Life was good.

I picked up a new Helinox Chair from Greg, a vender that had set up shop.

I have thoroughly tested this chair and while I have a Kermit, this thing really has grown on me. It packs up tiny and weighs only 2 pounds. Before I tried one I would not have believed it would be suitable for me, but it is and I am happy that Greg was there and that he was willing to let me try one.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:08 AM   #12
Mr. Fisherman OP
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Stomp Day 3, Adventure Day 10

Day 3 of the Stomp. I lounged again around camp... hung out at the booth with Greg and his lovely wife helping to sell a few chairs with my stress test demo .
Overnight 18 new fires were started by lightning all within a 35 mile radius of camp. This was a little concerning as there was only one way in or out of camp up an 11 mile dirt road. The smoke was bad when the wind blew one way and a lot of ash settled when it shifted the other way.

We also received news that a murderer had been spotted with a hostage only 30 miles from camp. Authorities had recommended carrying your weapon in close ready access and not to stop for strangers.

It turned out they got him later that night.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/amber-alert...ry?id=19928753
Old 08-22-2013, 03:20 AM   #13
Mr. Fisherman OP
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Stomp Day 4, Adventure Day 11

Last day at the stomp. Most of the attendees were excited to get the big streak dinner tonight.

I took a short rip up the end of the road. The trails were not open due to fire danger. I rolled back to camp, did my laundry and enjoyed a shower and a swim.

The smoke was getting worse. The sunsets were pretty different.

Enjoying camp in my new chair...

Dinner did not suck!

Last night in this camp...
Old 08-22-2013, 03:35 AM   #14
Mr. Fisherman OP
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Adventure home

After packing up I ripped up the road passing a few people on the way with a friendly wave.

Someone broke stride and paced with me for a while but I was feeling it and it felt good rip down the gravel.

I rode down to Boise to visit with family.
My nephew was on leave from Texas after finishing his tour in Afghanistan.
I think my great niece was glad to see me...

I spent a week visiting rolling home 6 days later.

1732 miles total and miles of smiles.

The last day was pretty long riding the little 250 all the way home in one day... but I would do it again tomorrow.

I used 1 tube, replaced 1 kickstand bolt and that's it. I really enjoy this little bike

Let me know if you have questions.

I will be doing a review of the Helinox chair and the Geigerrig Tactical hydration system later.

Enjoy the ride
Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,016
Boy She does seem excited! That's awsome.

I like the Paella cooker - looks like you could feed an army...or a couple a hungry Adv'rs.

Nice report Ray.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote