Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #151
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
. Snakebitten, maybe you are the same guy, a 2nd name... don't care, add, don't subtract...
You mean I'm really GrahamD?

Nope. He lives almost exactly half way around the world, AND on the other side of the equator.

Strangely though, I did ride a Yamaha Super Tenere within just a few miles from his house, I think. (Rental bike in Melbourne) He did NOT invite me to dinner or anything. I was devastated.

If he ever finds himself in Texas, I assure you I WILL invite him for some good Mexican food. Or some BBQ.

I post too much too.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #152
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
And why is it hard to live elsewhere?

so can I, at least on the internet. Regardless, I was in Florida doing the "Theme Park" thing with the family for a WHOLE week... Love the Fam. hate the theme parks... Not to mention I was doing the manly ( god I want to be anywhere but here) mandatory drinking in the evening just to get by... Holy hell the beer selection in Orlando sucks... Anyway I was being dickish, now I am home, good beer in hand, and much happier...

Enough hijacking, on my end.. back to topic

Of course I think my ideas are the best
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #153
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,385
You know, sometimes my GF makes me see some girly films. And sometimes, I confess, they get interesting and all. But let me tell you this, I always, and I mean always, like better to read about motorcycles, to learn about motorcycles and to talk about motorcycles. So, can we say now that the love story among you guys is over... let's put your romance drama and love exchanges to the side so we go back to the motorcycles? We were talking about turds, actually. The RD03 was a turd. And the Varadero was a more expensive and bigger turd. And now we are talking about HRC-lipstick on a turd. Now that took me to Alaska. And this is where a bike's story really counts. The real adventure bike should do those Alaskan roads well. Should travel to Tierra del Fuego sin problemas. And you know what? Any of those turds could do it very well. But can they do it as fast as Nick Sanders did on the Super Tenere? Ok, now we are back to bikes.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #154
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Any of those turds could do it very well. But can they do it as fast as Nick Sanders did on the Super Tenere? Ok, now we are back to bikes.
Sanders is a freak, and I mean that in a good way.

And Yamaha wanted to prove a point about durability, in the face of perceived strengths of BMW.

So, um, fucks knows what the AT will be..
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #155
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Well, since you brought up the Tenere, :) , those that don't ride them would be shocked at what that Big Pig can accomplish.

So if Yamaha can build a dirty 1200cc pig, why can't Honda?
I think they can. Just wanna see if they will.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #156
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 416
I guess the community is split in two camps : one wants a light weight rally bike , kind off like KTM690 . Other half wants a full blown Honda adventure bike kind off like Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ... oh wait and there is one more camp , it's the ones that post just for the sake of posting and consider everybody's opinion nonsense except theirs but I'll leave that to "Jo mamma" ...
Anyway ... according to the rumors and it's just rumors , 1000cc Vara/Superhawk engine , cable clutch , high front fender , Honda is going to build a 1000cc KLR . Basic , simple, good on the road and quite manageable off road , not too heavy not too light , but in the right hands a swiss knife .
I also have to agree with Snakebitten . Yamaha S10 is a heavy bike , but it shines everywhere except sand . I took it to some fire roads during my test drive in Colorado and it is a very capable adventure bike , probably the best out there at the moment . Great traction control made me feel like a Dakar hero fishtailing all over the place , but putting things in straight line when I got carried away too much .
Cheers ...

lukasteam screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 05:00 AM
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #157
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Pricing prices...

Quote:
The RD03 was a turd. And the Varadero was a more expensive and bigger turd. And now we are talking about HRC-lipstick on a turd. Now that took me to Alaska. And this is where a bike's story really counts. The real adventure bike should do those Alaskan roads well. Should travel to Tierra del Fuego sin problemas. And you know what? Any of those turds could do it very well. But can they do it as fast as Nick Sanders did on the Super Tenere? Ok, now we are back to bikes.
Have to correct you on the prices...
When the XL1000V Varadero was introduced (september 1998), the price line up (Dutch list prices, that means a BIG amount of silly taxes) was like this:

Honda XL600V Transalp: € 8000,-
Honda XRV750 Africa Twin: € 10.275,-
Honda XL1000V Varadero: € 10.725,-

The only 'too expensive turd' in this list ís the old Africa Twin. Keeping in mind, that it had only 10 Bhp more than the Transalp, but was over 30kg more heavy...

Strange is the (very little) price difference to the MK1 Varadero. Which was 20 kg more heavier than the Africa Twin (253 kg), but 98 Bhp.

I would love a new Honda Vtwin dual sport bike in the 10.000-12.000 price range... Even if it is designed as a turd...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #158
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 234
I'm in the camp that wants a twin version of the KTM 690 enduro R.

sorry guys but coprophilia just isn't my thing
Old 08-25-2013, 05:51 AM   #159
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,385
Quote:
You know, sometimes my GF makes me see some girly films. And sometimes, I confess, they get interesting and all. But let me tell you this, I always, and I mean always, like better to read about motorcycles, to learn about motorcycles and to talk about motorcycles. So, can we say now that the love story among you guys is over... let's put your romance drama and love exchanges to the side so we go back to the motorcycles? We were talking about turds, actually. The RD03 was a turd. And the Varadero was a more expensive and bigger turd. And now we are talking about HRC-lipstick on a turd. Now that took me to Alaska. And this is where a bike's story really counts. The real adventure bike should do those Alaskan roads well. Should travel to Tierra del Fuego sin problemas. And you know what? Any of those turds could do it very well. But can they do it as fast as Nick Sanders did on the Super Tenere? Ok, now we are back to bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Have to correct you on the prices...
When the XL1000V Varadero was introduced (september 1998), the price line up (Dutch list prices, that means a BIG amount of silly taxes) was like this:

Honda XL600V Transalp: € 8000,-
Honda XRV750 Africa Twin: € 10.275,-
Honda XL1000V Varadero: € 10.725,-

The only 'too expensive turd' in this list ís the old Africa Twin. Keeping in mind, that it had only 10 Bhp more than the Transalp, but was over 30kg more heavy...

Strange is the (very little) price difference to the MK1 Varadero. Which was 20 kg more heavier than the Africa Twin (253 kg), but 98 Bhp.

I would love a new Honda Vtwin dual sport bike in the 10.000-12.000 price range... Even if it is designed as a turd...

Have to correct you on your reading comprehension.
I never said "too expensive." I said more expensive and bigger. Which you confirm on both counts based on your 1998 turd data.
Now, I did not say which bike is more lekker.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #160
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by milzispete View Post
I'm in the camp that wants a twin version of the KTM 690 enduro R.
Me too, and I don't care which factory it comes from. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, KTM. The first one to build something like that is going to have to deal with me trying force a pile dollar bills down their throat.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #161
ON8JU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
Me too, and I don't care which factory it comes from. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, KTM. The first one to build something like that is going to have to deal with me trying force a pile dollar bills down their throat.
Wel go and get this one:http://www.ccm-motorcycles.com/ and let Honda make a 200kg, 100hp, big twin.
ON8JU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #162
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Keeping in mind, that it had only 10 Bhp more than the Transalp, but was over 30kg more heavy...
what are you saying?
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #163
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ON8JU View Post
Wel go and get this one:http://www.ccm-motorcycles.com/ and let Honda make a 200kg, 100hp, big twin.
450 single 5 speed = 500 twin six speed? Really? What is so hard to get about wanting a small two cylinder dual sport. Not everyone is a fan of winding up a single cylinder bike down the highway.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #164
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
what are you saying?
The early 600 Transalps are far better off road and better all round bikes too.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #165
raoulserban
vrrummm

Oddometer: 98
I had both AT and TA. both are reliable good bikes and they do not excel on anything. they can do a little of everything which is just enough for the average biker or the "adventure" biker .
From my point of view the TA is for single rider while the AT for 2 riders , this is how they where thinked and designed.
So please stop comparing the 2 sisters as they were tuned (designed ) for different uses/ers .

I have a question:
- how many of you AT fans out there expect a reliable motorcycle instead of a rally, light , fully power bike?
This was the main ATU of the AT. its engine was bulletproof, everything built to endure and last, like a tank!
From Honda point of view , i think , it is not rentable to make such a reliable bike. So they will most likely build an SUVbike like all others (with Dakar/ADV look , and for publicity they will say it has the heritage of the AT ), cause this is the same scenario like in the cars industry.
raoulserban is offline   Reply With Quote