User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #6346
attaboy
Let's go for it!

Oddometer: 40
Hello fellow inmates!

Well here I discover this awesome Guzzi / Stelvio thread tonight... and I will be flying to Italy in 4 days for a 3 week trip on a brand new rented Stelvio 2013. But I am quite overwhelmed by the 424 pages of infos... can anyone give me some words of advice (things to watch out for, gadgets to bring) before I leave home?

ps: travelling with my wife. purchased some new mesh jackets as the Klim ones are too hot for the south of Italy. Will bring my own GPS.

Thanks in advance
Attaboy
Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #6347
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
Hello fellow inmates!

ps: travelling with my wife.
Get her a back rest, keep her happy.

Marc
Old 08-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #6348
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
Hello fellow inmates!

Well here I discover this awesome Guzzi / Stelvio thread tonight... and I will be flying to Italy in 4 days for a 3 week trip on a brand new rented Stelvio 2013. But I am quite overwhelmed by the 424 pages of infos... can anyone give me some words of advice (things to watch out for, gadgets to bring) before I leave home?

ps: travelling with my wife. purchased some new mesh jackets as the Klim ones are too hot for the south of Italy. Will bring my own GPS.

Thanks in advance
Attaboy
I'd agree that a topbox with a backrest would be worth the effort and $$$ if it can happen.

If the stock Auxiliary lights are on it, either don't turn them on or disconnect them if you think you might by accident. If they are not fused you may very well end up with some electrical trouble. The easiest is just never turn them on, you don't really need them anyway as the twin headlights throw a great spread of light.

It might be worth your while to pop the seat and make sure the battery connections are tight once in a while along the way.

Other than that you should be good to go.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S

danketchpel screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 06:38 AM
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #6349
Oca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Thanks for the links Demar, I'm starting to get keyed into the Guzzi world. I need to join MGNOC.

We (wife and I) are planning to attend the "not a rally" event at Big Basin State Park. I spoke with Pierre this morning and there's plenty of camp space left. It's nice they are providing the meals (except lunch), that makes things so much easier.

We'll ride up Hwy 1 on Friday, that should be a nice ride. Hopefully the fog lifts early.

I'm looking forward to my first Guzzi gathering. This will also be our first trip camping off the bike so I have a bit of packing to work out.

I've ridden some of that area a couple decades ago and remember it being really pretty. I think the last time I rode to Alice's Restaurant was in the mid '80s.
Don't forget your red suspenders and corn cob pipe. (inside joke).

Enjoy.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #6350
Norcal_Rider
IBA Alumnus

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demar39 View Post
I'm gearing up for the Nata Rally in Big Basin this weekend.

http://www.nata-rally.org/

My first Guzzi Rally.

As a new Guzzi owner myself I really wanted to attend this event. But my work schedule won't allow it. I'm planning ahead so that I can attend the State Event in October! I'm looking forward to meeting other Northern California Moto Guzzi riders.
IBA #6154
1971 SL 350
2006 Stratoliner
2013 Stelvio NTX
Norcal_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #6351
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
Adam R, your driver is not connecting or is the wrong one, or the cable has the CH340 chip (will not work). If in windows, go to device manager and identify the hardware (cable), if it says anything with 340 in it, wrong cable. Notice in the first screen Danketchpel posted, at the bottom, says connected!
Got it going - turned out to be an old laptop that had fallen out with one of its USBs, used another - re-set the settings and away we went. TBs balanced. Just need much more fuel in there now to suit the pipe!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #6352
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Moto Guzzi National Rally in Canada

So my wife and I left for the rally yesterday morning. We were making a week long trip out of it by traveling around Canada and Michigan a bit. I had thrown my back out badly last week but it was slowly getting better and past experience had shown that riding often actually helped my back. The back had gotten good enough that I could get on and off the bike without too much pain so off we went. Not sure what is different this time than previously but after about 130 miles we had to turn back. My back would often spasm severely with very minor movements (shifting, lifting my hand off the handlebar etc.) I had severe pain when just moving my feet on and off the pegs at stop lights. Finally I decided that it was bad enough that it was not only painful as hell but also unsafe and we headed back home. Getting an MRI this afternoon.

I'm not a huge fan of rallies but I was really looking forward to this one and meeting other Guzzi owners and some of you on this thread. Plus I really love riding the Stelvio and new I'd really enjoy a longer trip on her.

Oh by the way, I added a 10" Universal Laminar Lip mounted about even with the top of the windshield and it helps smooth out the air. It in combination with the vent I previously cut into the shield essentially eliminates the buffetting (90% gone) when the windshield is in the low position. It still has more than I like in the upper positions but I almost always run it all the way down anyway.

Anyway, all of you who are going have a good time and drink a Molson for me!

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #6353
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Wow, sorry to hear that XT Traveler. It sounds like you've got a disc that's gotten worse and is putting more pressure on the spinal cord. It's time for surgery if it's that severe. I watched my Bro go through that, no amount of therapy will help if there's a physical pinch on the nerves. An MRI is the only way to know for sure and where it's happening.

I think you were wise to turn back if it was that severe.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #6354
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
Got it going - turned out to be an old laptop that had fallen out with one of its USBs, used another - re-set the settings and away we went. TBs balanced. Just need much more fuel in there now to suit the pipe!
Glad to hear it. Post up if you figure out any other features etc.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #6355
Oca
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
So my wife and I left for the rally yesterday morning. We were making a week long trip out of it by traveling around Canada and Michigan a bit. I had thrown my back out badly last week but it was slowly getting better and past experience had shown that riding often actually helped my back. The back had gotten good enough that I could get on and off the bike without too much pain so off we went. Not sure what is different this time than previously but after about 130 miles we had to turn back. My back would often spasm severely with very minor movements (shifting, lifting my hand off the handlebar etc.) I had severe pain when just moving my feet on and off the pegs at stop lights. Finally I decided that it was bad enough that it was not only painful as hell but also unsafe and we headed back home. Getting an MRI this afternoon.

I'm not a huge fan of rallies but I was really looking forward to this one and meeting other Guzzi owners and some of you on this thread. Plus I really love riding the Stelvio and new I'd really enjoy a longer trip on her.

Oh by the way, I added a 10" Universal Laminar Lip mounted about even with the top of the windshield and it helps smooth out the air. It in combination with the vent I previously cut into the shield essentially eliminates the buffetting (90% gone) when the windshield is in the low position. It still has more than I like in the upper positions but I almost always run it all the way down anyway.

Anyway, all of you who are going have a good time and drink a Molson for me!
I had an MRI last week. Herniated L-4/L5. Having the Microdisectotomy done.

Good luck.

It sucks getting old.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #6356
Oca
Gnarly Adventurer

Just to make my day even better, I received the recall letter re: Suspension.

The fix takes 1 hour.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #6357
attaboy
Let's go for it!

Oddometer: 40
Thanks for the backrest and auxiliary light suggestion. I'll look into it. But why?

Also, what is the dimension of the NTX aluminium sidecases and top case? I am trying to figure out my final luggage before going to the airport in a few days...

ciao
Old 08-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #6358
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,347
I called Piaggio and the dealer today and my bike is not on the recall list.

I am not much of a two up rider myself but have found that if the passenger has a back rest they tend to relax more, lean back, and enjoy the ride. This also relieves stress on the rider.

Marc
Old 08-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #6359
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oca View Post
Just to make my day even better, I received the recall letter re: Suspension.

The fix takes 1 hour.
Just got my recall letter today as well.

Will see about getting it taken care of next week. Until then, gonna ride!!!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #6360
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
I called Piaggio and the dealer today and my bike is not on the recall list.
That's good news....and unusual in that the bike was the first Stelvio NTX in Colorado so likely an early build.
Maybe my good karma rubbed off on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
I am not much of a two up rider myself but have found that if the passenger has a back rest they tend to relax more, lean back, and enjoy the ride. This also relieves stress on the rider.
Jeanne loved the top case - it was her 'purse' (I got the tankbag) and made the 5,500 mile trip the best she's taken on the back of a bike yet.

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote