Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #18211
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnthope View Post
The protective bar across my tank opening is gone. It must have fell in. I know this is a common issue, but is it really a problem? Its easier to fill the tank and I don't let the nozzle hit the white plastic on the bottom of the tank while filling. The bike is under warranty. Are most folks getting fixed or just fishing out the bar?
I took mine into the dealer, but I'm willing to bet a sizeable chunk of green that they left it in there. Once the new one was in place I noticed how loose it was and how easy it would be for it to fall out. I just pealed it off and threw it in a drawer so I wouldn't have 2 of them floating around in my gas tank.

When I do the valve adjustment at 12k miles, which is soon, I have to remove the tank so I'll find out if I'm right or not.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #18212
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I just buy a kit from HotCams, then I have any size I need on hand. Easily pays for itself when my closest dealer is 2 hours away and multiple bikes in the garage. Just did the valves in my wife's Street Triple and my Tiger will be due this fall.

As for that kit, I didn't replace any of the rubber gaskets on the Street Triple, just new plugs, air filter, oil change etc. Only gasket I could have used was the
28: GASKET, CRANK COVER 2712002 1 $6.70 $6.09

but I just used black RTV and it hasn't leaked. I now have a gasket on hand for next time I do the valves.
Thanks.

Know what size shims I need to order?
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #18213
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy One View Post
Thanks.

Know what size shims I need to order?
Haven't done my Tiger yet but assuming they're the same size as the Street Triple, 7.48mm

PS Don't type in hotcams.com looking for shims if you're at work.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #18214
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,306
Quote:
I just buy a kit from HotCams, then I have any size I need on hand.
When I took over the parts dept at a newly acquired dealership, I found the shop was just exchanging whatever shims they had from previous jobs. I lost it! I immediately ordered the full range of HotCams kits, so they'd have what they needed. I ordered a bunch of tools, Pit Bull stands, etc. I've never seen such a pathetic shop with such dedicated employees. They weren't even allowed to turn on the A/C in their department, under previous ownership. WTF?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #18215
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
When I took over the parts dept at a newly acquired dealership, I found the shop was just exchanging whatever shims they had from previous jobs. I lost it! I immediately ordered the full range of HotCams kits, so they'd have what they needed. I ordered a bunch of tools, Pit Bull stands, etc. I've never seen such a pathetic shop with such dedicated employees. They weren't even allowed to turn on the A/C in their department, under previous ownership. WTF?
That would be efficient for a shop, no doubt. For a home mechanic? Naw. I just take a run down to my indy and he exchanges what I've got for what I need. Half the time it's just one out of a whole group. Some of those shim kits are hundreds, although seems to me the hotcams one is like $100 or something. I could see for a guy either way out off the grid, or with a LOT of bikes using the same diameter shims.

What other bikes have our size shim??

No need for a pitbull with a center either.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #18216
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
That would be efficient for a shop, no doubt. For a home mechanic? Naw. I just take a run down to my indy and he exchanges what I've got for what I need. Half the time it's just one out of a whole group. Some of those shim kits are hundreds, although seems to me the hotcams one is like $100 or something. I could see for a guy either way out off the grid, or with a LOT of bikes using the same diameter shims.

What other bikes have our size shim??

I have both 7 and 9mm. The 9s are left over from our sons KTM. The 7s worked in my Honda and now the Triumphs.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #18217
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Umm. Well, a shop sees more than just Tigers with centerstands.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #18218
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
I live two hours from my 'local' Triumph dealer so doing all my own work has been part of the plan even before buying it. So far I'm into it for a brand new lap top, Dealer Tool software and a few hand tools. Picking up a set of shims won't be an issue.

I don't want the bike to be down for more than a few hours so getting everything together before I begin is going to be essential in making that happen.

To those that have done this before, how difficult/tricky is this job? It doesn't look too bad to me, but I am a bit concerned about pulling the cams and possibly getting the timing off. Is there anything here that's easy to screw up?
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #18219
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,620
Quote:
I live two hours from my 'local' Triumph dealer so doing all my own work has been part of the plan even before buying it. So far I'm into it for a brand new lap top, Dealer Tool software and a few hand tools. Picking up a set of shims won't be an issue.

I don't want the bike to be down for more than a few hours so getting everything together before I begin is going to be essential in making that happen.

To those that have done this before, how difficult/tricky is this job? It doesn't look too bad to me, but I am a bit concerned about pulling the cams and possibly getting the timing off. Is there anything here that's easy to screw up?
If it's your first valve check it's quite likely you won't have to make any adjustments at all. I haven't done the job on the 800 yet but I did it on the 1050 and it's pretty straightforward.

If you do have to pull cams to make adjustments, key items will be getting the engine to TDC on #1 and then NOT ROTATING IT with the cams off, as well as not letting the timing chain fall into the engine when removing cams.

You really should have the service manual for this job as it points out the proper alignment of all the timing marks that would be essential for re-assembly after camshaft removal - as well as the proper order in which to remove and install the cam ladder bolts if need be.

It's imperative that you get the cam timing right when re-installing, else you will have valves striking pistons as the engine rotates, which is engine rebuild time.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #18220
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,614
Funny how 'paddock stands' have become 'pitbull' stands these days. Now that's branding for ya...

You do have the shop manual, right? My valve adjust is gonna be coming up here real soon as well. I'd be surprised if they're out.

Out for a night ride last night and marveled at how smooth the bike was. Still getting to know this thing after 8K miles. Shifts like butter.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #18221
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:

Checking is pretty straight forward, just gets a bit more involved if any are out, then you have to pull the cams. Haven't done my Tiger yet but my wife's Street Triple was pretty cramped on a couple of exhaust valves, not a lot of room. Hopefully the Tiger isn't quite as tightly packaged as the Street Triple was. Take your time and double, triple check things. Before I do mine I want to find a good set of angled gauges, I think they would make those cramped one easier to get to.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #18222
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Funny how 'paddock stands' have become 'pitbull' stands these days. Now that's branding for ya...
I got the guys actual Pit Bull brand and started stocking them, too.

Again, I came unglued, when I saw a 2X4 and floor jack being used under a sportbike's titanium header to lift the bike. When I questioned the tech, he responds with "That's just how we've been doing it.". The replacement cost was more than 2 of his week's wages.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #18223
henkew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Throttle fail in Alaska

My Tiger 800XC throttle died on me. It starts, but turn the throttle and nothing. I took the handle off and the throttle cable is kinked up, it locked down at the engine. I can start it and it will move on the idle throttle level. Not sure what that means, trying to figure that out now. And can you believe it, right when the full warranty from Triumph expired. I am in Chistochina, Alaska. Halfway through a 3 week trip. I know there is a Triumph dealership in Anchorage. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

UPDATE
Cable is severed, in the middle. This seems unusal, how often does this happen. Can I use a bicycle cable to get me to anchorage? I am just suprised at this. Those things don't seem like they would be under the stress to cause them to just break in the middle.

henkew screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 12:35 AM
henkew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #18224
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I got the guys actual Pit Bull brand and started stocking them, too.

Again, I came unglued, when I saw a 2X4 and floor jack being used under a sportbike's titanium header to lift the bike. When I questioned the tech, he responds with "That's just how we've been doing it.". The replacement cost was more than 2 of his week's wages.
Quick note: I've been working with Pitbull to make a headlift stand pin for the Tiger Roadie and XC. The last prototype they sent me was spot on for the Roadie. George at Pitbull was waiting for me to test it on an XC, but I'm almost positive it will be fine. Pitbull will be updating their product charts soon but they've got one if you need it.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #18225
motonut
Old Guy

Oddometer: 62
Shim Diameter?

Quote:
Haven't done my Tiger yet but assuming they're the same size as the Street Triple, 7.48mm
I read through a discussion on another forum where it was stated that the valve shims diameter is 9.48mm. Can you confirm that this is wrong and that 7.48mm is right for the Tiger 800?

Thanks.
motonut is offline   Reply With Quote