User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Kingsized OP
Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
I'll have that Bourbon Kingsized, this time it's serious

Ok, I tried to start a RR but it fell apart due to the lack of wifi on my trip and since it was less than a week, it should really have been here anyway so I started over. I hope you don't mind.

My first disclaimer is that while this the obvious topic is whisky, I want to ensure that at no time was I under the influence while on my motorcycle. For the last 15 years I've been in a liquor store manager of a very large liquor business and am a wine Sommelier. Point being that I am a professional. I take my business seriously and when I do taste, it's never more than 1/8 or an ounce. Most of the time, I didn't taste at all since I've had 95% of the whiskies I saw. My visits were to see the behind the scenes work that creates the product that I sell.

In one circumstance, it was for a better reason but I'll get into that later. So let's get started!

I left about 4:30 on Saturday from Flowood, MS. Natchez Trace up to Nashville and then up to Mammoth Cave National park in KY for the night. After a close call with a deer and a barn owl, I stopped and waited for the sun to come up!

Mammoth Cave has a huge cave system. I read about it while there but all the tours had ended by the time I arrived. I need to go for the weekend and check this out more later.

Their hotel restaurant was pretty darn good. Enjoy this food picture because it's the only food picture I have from the trip.

Woke the next morning at 3:30. Why can't I sleep away from home? Headed over to Bardstown and hit Knob Creek (the real creek where Abe Lincoln grew up) along the way.

My first stop was Maker's Mark. I had scheduled a tour in advance.

Let gave me a pint to dip. The girl pointed to the top and said, dip to this line...I went all the way to the bottom on the wax pot. Too bad it wasn't deeper. Ha! I also bought a (Rob Sammuel's) signed .750 of Maker's white dog since you can only buy it there. That is what I'm dipping here.

Then off to Jim Beam! Where Maker's was smaller than I expected, Jim Beam was larger!

Me all touristy and all. Rinsing Knob Creek bottles.

Before I left, the gave me a gift bag with a (Fred Noe) signed and numbered bottle of their American Stillhouse Bourbon.

DAY 2

Woke at 4:30 (what is it with me not sleeping?)
Ok, today is what this trip is all about. It's the reason why I came. Today is all about work. Time to roll up my sleeves and get the job done.
I came in and met Wayne. He was the man in charge of pulling sample barrels of Elijah Craig 12 year whisky. I'd be choosing one to have bottles as a single barrel Bourbon for our store. Since this is a $8,000 to $10,000 value (depending on the amount in the barrel), it was something I took seriously.

A few picture of the tour we did first.

Ok, let's speed this up....tour....labeling line....packaging...Ok, now here we are. Here are my sample barrels. The range in barrel proof. Each come from a different place in the rickhouse. Each are different due to this placement. The ones in the center have a more consistent temperature while the ones on the top or outer edges have more temperature swings. There are 1000 different things that can make a single barrel of whisky taste different. These all were different. Not slightly either. Here are the alcohol proofs (130.6, 133.6, 140.9, 130.1, 150.5, 139.1) It will later be cut down to Elijah's 94 proof. What makes this different is that it's not mixed with other barrels. In a normal bottling, 100+ barrels are all emptied and mixed and then bottled. It ensures a consistent flavor. They mix those gem barrels with some that may not have aged as well.

And the tasting supplies:

Evan Williams is made here too. That is why I have this glass.

Note the weeping from this barrel. This is less common and increases the Angel Share or evaporation from the barrel during the 12 years it's aged creating a more rich a concentrated whisky. This is my GEM!

I signed it and won't see it again for 6-8 weeks.

Now time to remind everyone, I use aroma for 99% of my judging. I was given a nice set of barrel samples to take back home. Clean and sober, I head off to do some riding, leaving Bardstown and heading over to Frankfort.

More to come later...

Kingsized screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 06:15 AM
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Very interesting and educational. That ham and three biscuits carried the whole report though.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
If you ever find yourself in need of an assistant, I am at your disposal.

Looking forward to the rest of your trip!
CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Olmaler
Gettin' Back to Dirt

Oddometer: 56
Nice Ride Report!

Great trip -- I might just have to see you at the shop here, in about 6-8 weeks!
Olmaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Knightwork
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Rr

Damn I could not make this trip but now I should have just gone and went AWOL @ work I could spend all day watching them make and fill the barrels ---And every time I go anywhere with KS I learn something new anyway.

Probably because I have lived a very SHELTERED LIFE---

Bless You My Children

COOL REPORT KS

'09 R1200GSA (Frau Brueller)
Knightwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmaler View Post
Great trip -- I might just have to see you at the shop here, in about 6-8 weeks!
I was just thinking the same thing... Are all those bottles spoken for?
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 2,013
Great start KS! Keep it coming.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,506
My kind of trip... Looking forward to more KS
Old 08-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
carabnsol
should have been a cowboy

Oddometer: 2,087
I loved touring the Maker's distillery and can't wait to finish following the bourbon trail. Great report, looking forward to more.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
Kingsized OP
Kingsized Adventurer

Thanks guys for the kind words. It was a short trip with a lot packed in. As far as the whisky goes, there will be bottles available. I'll let you guys know when we get it in.

So where was I? Oh, I had just left Bardstown and am heading over to Frankfort. I want to thank Voodoo Child and FYYFFKY from the KY regional here for sharing some route ideas. Good stuff!

An example of the rolling hills along the way.

Ate lunch a very late lunch at Wallace Station on Old Frankfort Pike. I didn't get a picture but here is one I lifted off the web. It's a very nice ride.

Wallace Station was on Dinners Drive-ins and Dives and Guy said their burger was in the top 5 he'd ever eaten. I wanted something lighter so I had hot ham and brie with apples on their home made bread. (I forgot I had this second food picture)

I got to Woodford but was too late for a tour so I headed up to check in to my room at Frankfort and crash early maybe some sleep tonight.

DAY 3

I started off north to ride up aside the Kentucky river on one of the routes I was given.

First time I'd seen a well pump on the front porch. Cool!

Road a while on this road. Can't believe it was a 2 lane.

I then took the Buffalo Trace tour. I'll save you the usual picture but this was cool. A couple guys competing stacking Blanton's bottles. Now how many days was it since our last accident?

Then over to Wild Turkey but the bus was driving off for a tour and I didn't want to wait for the next. I did see this interesting well pump.

Now off for Four Roses. I have met Jim Rutledge, the master distiller a few times and was going to see if he was in the shake his hand.

Found Jim!

Apparently, the Food network came down to film a show about the local Burgoo Festival and the guy who won the last three years in a row works at Four Roses. The next thing you know, they are here filming a show. I asked what the name of the show was and they didn't know because it's a a new one and this is going to be the pilot show. I don't think I'll be talking to Jim.

What's Burgoo? Haven't a clue.

Time to head over to Willett.

Ok, back over to Mammoth Cave for my last night in KY.

My ride back home would have been boring if it hadn't been for the 100+ turkeys I had to watch out for. And 2 close deer calls. One had my ABS skittering!

Well, that's my short ride report. thanks for looking. Kentucky sure does have some pretty country to ride and I hope to make it back again!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #11
Kingsized OP
Kingsized Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carabnsol View Post
I loved touring the Maker's distillery and can't wait to finish following the bourbon trail. Great report, looking forward to more.
I met a lot of the same folks in those three days because they were doing the trail. I should have gotten a passport but though "I'm in the business, it's not big deal" only later to change that to "why the heck didn't I get that passport, how stupid".
Old 08-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
FYYFFKY
Adventurous

Oddometer: 348
Aww man I should have told you that the KY photo tag was at Willett. Ole voo doo Mark put it there. Oh well, wish I could have joined you Monday and I have to give Jim some credit because I stole those routes from him . Anyhow, glad you enjoyed the trip and enjoy that barrel!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
Kingsized OP
Kingsized Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFFKY View Post
Aww man I should have told you that the KY photo tag was at Willett. Ole voo doo Mark put it there. Oh well, wish I could have joined you Monday and I have to give Jim some credit because I stole those routes from him . Anyhow, glad you enjoyed the trip and enjoy that barrel!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
A little bird told me that the tag was there but I had a hard time uploading pictures so I let it pass. Please do credit Jim, those were great.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,421
Great RR!!!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
O Team
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
great RR. Those bourbons looked awful tasty. Now if you could combine that trip with a ride through Cuban cigar country - you'd have the perfect ride.