User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #31
coppertop
occasional meanderthal

Oddometer: 241
Did I miss something?

I recieved the DVD and information packet, but I haven't yet seen anything on what corner I am assigned?

I was at 13b last year...
coppertop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #32
okiegtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
I recieved the DVD and information packet, but I haven't yet seen anything on what corner I am assigned?

I was at 13b last year...
I have not seen anything yet on flag assignments. Guess we'll get the news next week.
okiegtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #33
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,523
Wow, what am experience!

Three very full days (not counting the Thursday track walk and evening session) and a lot of tiring activity, all in the bright mid-west sun, but a great experience.

Who did My brother and i end up teamed with but Uncle Duke (Ken), the OP of this thread! That was pure coincidence, and we did not discover each other's ADV identity until last night (Saturday)! He was a great station captain, showing us the ropes, and patiently correcting us when we made mistakes, and by Sunday we felt very comfortable with all the responsibilities. We were at the outside of Turn 14, so we saw a lot of action all weekend, including Rossi's pass on Cal at Turn 16 to nab fourth, and of course Nicky's pass on Dovi in nearly the same spot!

I highly recommend this experience to all ADV'ers - because of the schedule, we decided to pass on the Mile on Saturday evening (which we LOVED last year), but we believe even with that trade-off, it was worth it.

Thanks, Ken! See you next year!

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #34
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,119
Talking 2 enthusiastic thumbs up

I second that, not sure If I met Ken or not, but I had a great time working harder and longer hours than I work at my regular job. Like to give a shout out to Jason and Janen< not sure how to spell his name, but the 2 guys I met from KC that showed me how to get in the pits and the paddock. And okrider, and Lee my corner Captain, was a great guy with tons of experience and way under spoken, I bet he has some great stories.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:10 AM   #35
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a group pic of the team that worked Turn 14b:

I am in the back wearing the black floppy hat (I wore that between events, as it offered more sun protection). My brother is the tall skinny one on the left, wearing the headset. Ken (Uncle Duke) is wearing the mirrow sunglasses and with the cigar in his mouth.

A great time, working with great people!

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #36
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 403
Wanted to thank whoever was working pit exit for allowing me the sneaky ninja access to shoot bikes leaving the pits for part of the day on Saturday. That along with the paddock pass and the fantastic team on the exit of turn 9 that kept making room for me to shoot through gave me some of the best shots I have gotten from Indy yet.
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #37
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Somebody always has to be the class clown:

Old 08-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #38
okiegtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Wanted to thank whoever was working pit exit for allowing me the sneaky ninja access to shoot bikes leaving the pits for part of the day on Saturday. That along with the paddock pass and the fantastic team on the exit of turn 9 that kept making room for me to shoot through gave me some of the best shots I have gotten from Indy yet.
I just might know who that fellow was at pit out. English accent?

By the way, your photos are fabulous!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #39
okiegtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

I had a terrific time at Indy last weekend and had bird's eye view of the grid and everything happening on pit lane.

IMG_3884
Old 08-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #40
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

These should be the last pics I have. First is Uncle Duke schooling me on proper technique:

Next, here we are surfing Jo Momma on Ken's smart phone, looking for Toxic over 40 pics:

Finally, Uncle Duke is styling for the massive crowd of his fans:

See you next year!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #41
okiegtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

a few random shots, some bikes that inmates rode to Indy, a few shots of some of the inmates I ran into there.

2013-08-15 001 2013-08-15 004
Steverino

2013-08-15 001 2013-08-15 001
In the parking lot at Brickyard Crossing

IMS 2013-08-15 002
Behind the USAC office

IMS 2013-08-15 001

IMS 2013-08-15 003
Old 08-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #42
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegtrider View Post
a few random shots, some bikes that inmates rode to Indy, a few shots of some of the inmates I ran into there.

2013-08-15 001 2013-08-15 001
In the parking lot at Brickyard Crossing
Was I doing a Popey impersonation??
Old 08-26-2013, 03:06 AM   #43
okiegtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post

Probably just surprised at how funny that fellow next to you talked.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #44
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
"I yams what I yams."

Old 08-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #45
Uncle Duke OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Spezjag is too kind!

Thank you, Spezjag for your kind words! YOu and your brother were terrific corner mates and it was an honor flagging with you two. It is my sincere hope we can do it again next year.

And the rest of this message is to everyone who volunteered for duty at both COTA and Indy. First of all, my apologies for not posting this sooner....sometimes life is a process of cramming 5 pounds of stuff into 3 pound bags and the time just got away from me.

OK, enough of my whining. Here is the inside word on ALL the ADV people that stepped up to the plate: YOU ALL ROCK! The true Powers That Be (and I am not in that group, for I am a mere peon) have acknowledged that each and every ADV person who volunteered was a significant asset to conducting a safe and efficient race meeting at both venues. Without you, we really would not have had such a successful event at Indyand COTA and our entire flag crew really did get kudos from USAC, AMA and FIM, among others.

And now, for a few comments on COTA. I've been biding my time in addressing COTA and those of us who attended this year certainly recognized a few, uh, shall we say, kerfuffles. Now, having said that, again the contributions of ADV were significant, neccessary and most welcome, even if some of the people at COTA had no idea who we are.

And one of those people is no longer with the track operations.

Now at the helm at COTA is a truly great man of motorsport, Mr. Mel Harder, formerly of the IMS. I have every confidence that next year's COTA MotoGP will provide us an infinitely greater worker experience, with the teething pains well past and a much smoother overall operation.

I urge everyone here at ADV to consider both events next year. I'm gonna try to do the American Trifecta, flagging at COTA, Laguna Seca and Indy, which may very well be the last time in my lifetime that we will see three Moto's in the USA. Dorna has made it pretty clear that 4 Motos in Spain and 3 Motos in the USA are one Moto too much at each venue. May the Force be with me on this one!

But I do hope everyone that hung out on a corner this summer had a great time and I think we can all agree that the racing at both COTA (such an amazingly beautiful facility!) and Indy were spectacular! WE get the best seats in the house and they aren't even for sale.

And again, my sincere thanks to everyone for the excellent work this summer.

Now onwards to 2014! Hmmm, think next year Mr. Marquez wil be defending his championship??
Uncle Duke is offline   Reply With Quote