User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 03:16 AM   #7291
T680277
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Bike is squeaking

Hello there as i am rideing my 05 dr200 i can hear a skeaking nose comeing from the right side of the bike but when i take my hand off the throtel it gose away it sounds like a old chair and your bounsing on it can anyone help or have had the same problum i am useing amsoil (full synthetic) in it and oil change as done 1 1/2 months ago and i only put on about 1500km thanks
T680277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #7292
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
What is the best way to wire a 12-volt GPS into the DR?
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #7293
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
I like my gps always on so you can check tracks etc. while stopped with the bike off. No worries about leaving it on and draining the battery because I just pop it out of its cradle and take it with me if leaving the bike unattended. Straight to the battery is simplest. I use Eastern Beavers stuff for all my electrical. He has a simple 3 Circuit solution that works great if you don't need a fuse block. I order it with one unswitched so that's for my gps, then one switched for my heated grips, and one left for heated vest or charging cell phone etc.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring...3_circuit.html
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #7294
suseuser
Love to ride

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
I would just plug it into the trickle-charger jack.
suseuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #7295
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
back peg wheelies

I gotta cover that rear brake!!!

northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #7296
LumberingJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I've got a problem with my 200 that's starting to baffle me a bit now.

A few weeks ago we were taking part in a local big bike rally which consisted of mainly fireroads and open moorland going but the special test took in a few deepish water spashes.

On the first two laps it didn't ike the water but kept going and sorted itself, but on the third it spluttered and died. Looking at where the water had gotten to I'm pretty sure it hadn't swallowed any water, or if it had it was at worst a splashing over the end of the carb breather (though that seemed to be clean insode on inspection).

I put fresh plug in and it went again and ran fine for about 5 minutes or so and then it wouldn't rev out past about half throttle, any less than that and it ran fine but nothing above at all, even if held flat out.

So, we limped back the last bit and I got busy with the WD40 on all the connections. No better. Swapped plug, no better. Swapped HT lead and plug cap and no better. Panicking a bit as it was getting dark and we wouldn't have long in the morning before the start, I even had the cab off and blew through everything and it was still no better. Have even cleaned every connector and earth and even tried disconnecting the kill switches/side stand switch and anything else I could try to eliminate and none of it worked.

Limped it through the second day, got home, washed it, let it warm up and dry out then put it back in the garage until I had chance to have another go today. Whipped carb off again just in case and gave it another thorough clean.

It starts fine, has plenty of poke at low throttle openings but just splutters and coughs from about half. If I hold it flat out it just keeps spluttering but doesn't die. I'm thinking electrical as the smoke is smelling quite gassy like it's not burning it all (so not firing rather than starving it of Gas).

Has anyone else had similar symptoms before I start stripping the elctricals again.

One other thing while I'm on, would fitting the flatslide carb off of a late 1980's DR 200 onto a similar aged DR 125 be of any benefit? Half wondered if it might help a little on top end but not sure. It's just I have one kicking about in the shed that might as well get put to good use.

LumberingJack screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 06:14 AM
LumberingJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #7297
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

that's a tough call...I'm guessing either electrical or carb

when you say "half", do you mean throttle position or engine speed?

if it's engine speed, it might be electrical - I've seen it happen with an XR250 where he had a loose ground...you would just have to chase all the electrical to where it attaches on the frame and clean/re-attach the connections

if it's throttle position, my *guess* is that it's carb - low throttle response means the pilot circuit works fine, but higher throttle position either means the bike is starving for gas or there is an issue with the slide or main jet/needle

since the carb is easier to figure out, I would try that first
Old 08-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #7298
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm looking at the wiring diagram for the dr200se, and there are no auxiliary leads on the system anywhere - what this means is that you can't just plug it in somewhere

quick option 1: tap into the battery
quick option 2: tap into the head/tail light**

**issue: I don't know how much extra current the GPS will use, so I don't know if it will pop any fuses

best option: use a relay to tap off the battery, and have it trigger with the head/tail light leads so that the power shuts off when the bike is off

protip - if you tap off the tail light, then you can put the key in the "park" mode and still get power while the bike is off, and keep the headlight off to save the battery
Old 08-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #7299
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
I'm looking at the wiring diagram for the dr200se, and there are no auxiliary leads on the system anywhere - what this means is that you can't just plug it in somewhere

quick option 1: tap into the battery
quick option 2: tap into the head/tail light**

**issue: I don't know how much extra current the GPS will use, so I don't know if it will pop any fuses

best option: use a relay to tap off the battery, and have it trigger with the head/tail light leads so that the power shuts off when the bike is off

protip - if you tap off the tail light, then you can put the key in the "park" mode and still get power while the bike is off, and keep the headlight off to save the battery
I am seeing a unused connector with a brown and black wires. Mine is 2013 model. The wires are pretty skinny looking.

73Mustang screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 02:23 PM
Old 08-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #7300
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

where??
Old 08-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #7301
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
where??
Above the headlight. Inside the giant bundle of wires and connectors.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #7302
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

hmm...then I'm not sure...time to break out the multimeter (free at harbor freight with coupon at times)
Old 08-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #7303
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

One wire is 12V that turns off with the key. Other is ground.

Is it normal to have unused wires with connector?

I wonder if I missed something when I repaired the instrument panel.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #7304
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:
One wire is 12V that turns off with the key. Other is ground.

Is it normal to have unused wires with connector?

I wonder if I missed something when I repaired the instrument panel.
That's normal, the DR650 has the same unused wire pair. I think it may be for Euro hazard lights or something. Good place to tap into a switched circuit though.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #7305
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

hmm...I will have to check if mine has it too

I had a 1989 Ninja 600R with auxiliary leads coming off under the seat...I felt like those were 80's designed options and that newer bikes wouldn't have them