ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #766
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
That does appear to be a sweet lens. Thanks for looking it up.
New Mexico makes you want to reach for a camera. I take the Suzuki out for evening rides just to watch the colors in the sky change.
Looked into it a bit, that 325 one is the model that wont AF on your camera, but the new one is 450 so still under your budget:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._AT_X_124.html

Used with what's up right now only saves you 50 bucks:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digi...99106612J?r=FE
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #767
MrBob
Jambo!
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Looked into it a bit, that 325 one is the model that wont AF on your camera, but the new one is 450 so still under your budget:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._AT_X_124.html

Used with what's up right now only saves you 50 bucks:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digi...99106612J?r=FE
I'm going to belabor a point here and try to get something clear in my mind.
For the moment, set aside cost considerations. If my goal is to try to do justice to the magnificent scenery surrounding me, is a full frame camera clearly the best choice. Or, would a lens like the Tokina reduce the disparity between a cropped and full frame camera to the point of insignificance.
What I'm trying to avoid is getting caught up in atom-splitting comparisons and just being too anal.
__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #768
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I'm going to belabor a point here and try to get something clear in my mind.
For the moment, set aside cost considerations. If my goal is to try to do justice to the magnificent scenery surrounding me, is a full frame camera clearly the best choice. Or, would a lens like the Tokina reduce the disparity between a cropped and full frame camera to the point of insignificance.
What I'm trying to avoid is getting caught up in atom-splitting comparisons and just being too anal.
FF will help with the shadow noise, and possibly a bit in detail but there it's all in the quality of lens in front of it, and you likely wont need that extra detail unless you madereally large prints.

Crop actually is better in that you have a bigger depth of field for the equivalent focal length and F stop.

The Tokina will get you a lot better images, I can't stress enough how big of an improvement it will be from your 18-55.

Dynamic range is still something you'll be lacking in comparison to the best cameras out there but both the Nikon crop and FF cameras are similar in this (and better than Canon IIRC).

And all full frame is not the same, the 5D wouldn't be the step to take from your position because a D5200 can in many respects take better landscapes. I own a D700 (better than the 5D) and a D7100 (crop camera) and the 7100 is my hands down choice for landscapes based on my experience with it so far.

I could go on and into the "atom splitting" but there isn't a night and day difference anymore so your camera will do well, and you have an upgrade path with crop cameras. The biggest improvements right now will come from taking thousands of photos not FF VS crop to be honest.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #769
MrBob
Jambo!
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post

Crop actually is better in that you have a bigger depth of field for the equivalent focal length and F stop.

The Tokina will get you a lot better images, I can't stress enough how big of an improvement it will be from your 18-55.



And all full frame is not the same, the 5D wouldn't be the step to take from your position because a D5200 can in many respects take better landscapes. I own a D700 (better than the 5D) and a D7100 (crop camera) and the 7100 is my hands down choice for landscapes based on my experience with it so far.

The biggest improvements right now will come from taking thousands of photos not FF VS crop to be honest.
I've shot steadily since 1971, so this isn't my first rodeo, but thanks for your input. The government issued us pretty good film cameras to take into the field when I worked as an archaeologist and I've followed along a few steps behind the technology since then. My favorite camera of all time was the Nikkormat with a Nikon 28-80mm lens that my ex-brother in law brought back from Korea and sold to me. My last DSLR was a first generation Rebel, which sucked in so many ways. My current point and shoot is a S 90, which can surprise me from time to time.
The 3100 is another level of sophistication and I enjoy becoming familiar with it. Eventually, I settle down and just use the stuff.
Thanks again for the tip on the Tokina.
__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #770
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..
 
XpressCS's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: The big box California
Oddometer: 1,054
Okay this one isn't my very best, but I thought it might be worth sharing.



I know I know, I need to get my camera cleaned...
__________________
2004 KLR650

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #771
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Okay this one isn't my very best, but I thought it might be worth sharing.



I know I know, I need to get my camera cleaned...
Cleaning up that image wont be too bad, if you don't have PS I can do it for you, just send/link me to a full res version.

It's a nice seen, and one of my favorite types to shoot actually. The 2 things I would do are zoom in and make the sky a greater part of the frame. And move the camera around slightly to try and get the flare in a better position....you wont be able to get rid of it, but if that circle of it that's right above the mountain was instead just below it then that would be a lot easier to remove.

Also the image looks a little desaturated right now, I'd try increasing the color, and going B&W then using curves to increase the contrast and see how those compare to the current version.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #772
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..
 
XpressCS's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: The big box California
Oddometer: 1,054
Something about like this?



I don't do the whole B&W thing, the lack of color hurts my eyes.
__________________
2004 KLR650

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #773
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
cheap old digital camera camping







__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #774
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Something about like this?



I don't do the whole B&W thing, the lack of color hurts my eyes.
That's a bit too much, it's bringing out a lot of digital noise and is a a little over saturated. I played with it in PS and if you have that something like +15-20 on saturation works well. Also for a crop point a little bit past the end of that big white cloud which goes across most of the frame would be good. You'd be taking 10-15% off the right and bottom which would make it more even between the mountain and sky.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #775
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post






The big thing I'd try to do for these (1, 3, 4 specifically) is give everything more room when you shoot since a lot of the time you have part of the main subject cropped or just a sliver between them and the end of the frame. Detail isn't a big issue anymore with even cheap cameras having at least 10-12 MP so go a lil extra wide and then crop in post.

For #2 if you went close to the water and had it more level you might be able to get more of a mirror effect which could be cool.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #776
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Portland
Oddometer: 518
I put this in the "pic a day" thread but thought I might get some help here:

This picture was texted to me. It was taken by a friend in a 19' open boat. I was on the boat in the picture. Before the storm hit both boats took all sail down, we took his boat under tow and he came aboard our boat. A half hour later it was all over.



So what do you think? Can this image be cleaned up by you expert types? Maybe I can get hold of a better resolution version.
MaineScoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #777
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineScoot View Post
I put this in the "pic a day" thread but thought I might get some help here:

This picture was texted to me. It was taken by a friend in a 19' open boat. I was on the boat in the picture. Before the storm hit both boats took all sail down, we took his boat under tow and he came aboard our boat. A half hour later it was all over.



So what do you think? Can this image be cleaned up by you expert types? Maybe I can get hold of a better resolution version.
The full resolution version will be needed, that one either has JPEG artifacts or tons of noise, if it's the former than it'll be a lot easier. If you sent that to me I'm not sure what can be done, but I'll definitely take a look.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #778
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..
 
XpressCS's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: The big box California
Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
That's a bit too much, it's bringing out a lot of digital noise and is a a little over saturated. I played with it in PS and if you have that something like +15-20 on saturation works well. Also for a crop point a little bit past the end of that big white cloud which goes across most of the frame would be good. You'd be taking 10-15% off the right and bottom which would make it more even between the mountain and sky.
Ready?

Aaaaand GO:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7494/6vhj.jpg
__________________
2004 KLR650

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #779
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Idaho Falls
Oddometer: 320
D5200 or 7100 or ?
Been using a D40 for ever and am looking upgrade to something that will do bulb astrophotography (widefield stuff mostly) on a GEM mount, specifically, and all around in general.

Prolly a Tokina 11-16 to go with my 35mm 1.8 and eventually replace my existing kit lenses.

Is the 7100 worth the premium over the 5200? I would just get a body as another kit lens is kinda silly.

I do like the feature of setting timed long exposures in these cameras.

Eventually I'll get a used Canon 450 or something and get it modded for nebula/galaxies, etc. when I decide to extend in that direction and get an astrograph scope.

Thanks!
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #780
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bappo View Post
D5200 or 7100 or ?
Been using a D40 for ever and am looking upgrade to something that will do bulb astrophotography (widefield stuff mostly) on a GEM mount, specifically, and all around in general.

Prolly a Tokina 11-16 to go with my 35mm 1.8 and eventually replace my existing kit lenses.

Is the 7100 worth the premium over the 5200? I would just get a body as another kit lens is kinda silly.

I do like the feature of setting timed long exposures in these cameras.

Eventually I'll get a used Canon 450 or something and get it modded for nebula/galaxies, etc. when I decide to extend in that direction and get an astrograph scope.

Thanks!
So just the 11-16 for astro and no telescopes?
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014