Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #31
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,089
Back at again Rich.Bike has been through some transformations.Good to see you're still wrenching.Surprised to see you away from DTT.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #32
BiGR Rich OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Thanks fellas.

Ben - it's not that I'm away from DTT so much.....all this is over there as well. I just haven't had much to report lately.....the GS450 has taken up a good bit of my time.
BiGR Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #33
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGR Rich View Post
Thanks fellas.

Ben - it's not that I'm away from DTT so much.....all this is over there as well. I just haven't had much to report lately.....the GS450 has taken up a good bit of my time.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:25 AM   #34
BiGR Rich OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks to Mr Salty Monk for any trial and error he put in on this.......bought a 98 Ducati M900 shock on eBay:

And proceeded to swap the Ducati spring with the stock GR650 spring

Rear shock installed:

BiGR Rich screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 06:57 PM
Old 08-03-2013, 02:30 AM   #35
BiGR Rich OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And I couldn't help but notice how similar the GS750ES swingarm is to my own. After buying one on eBay, there are 2 differences worth noting: the swingarm is about 7/8" longer, and the lower shock mount is definitely a different length (can't recall the exact amount right now). But sometime in the future I may be swapping in an aluminum swingarm with a disc brake......

BiGR Rich screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 06:57 PM
Old 08-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #36
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 872
outstanding work. love the new tank.a rear disk and aluminum swing arm would be nice addition. any sidecovers in the future?
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #37
ben2go
Moto Flunky

That swing arm info is an interesting factoid.The aluminum arm any lighter?Upgrading to disc brake in the rear is a must for me if the swing arms are interchangeable.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #38
BiGR Rich OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ben - I don't have a scale small enough to weigh the two, but it is definitely lighter than stock.

Duckman - I have put some thought into sidecovers, actually. I haven't decided one way or another though. I like the look of the open space, but also like running some type of airbox (which is ugly enough to be hidden). Still have plenty of time to work that detail out......
Old 08-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #39
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 872
I noticed your airbox, I think its easier to tune a carbureted bike with an airbox rather than individual filters, and I've never seen a nice looking one. the nicest side covers I ever owned were aftermarket carbon fiber units for my 03 monster.i replaced the oem ones when I removed the charcoal box for the gas fumes. all ducati brought into the us must be California legal.
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #40
BiGR Rich OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry for the lack of updates - between working 12 hour shifts I've been working on a swing set for my son and chopping down a pine tree in the yard.....

Back to work though! I did a test fitting of the aluminum swingarm:

The pivot itself is perfect: same width, pivot bolt diameter, etc. The only issue with it was the GR dust caps are different than the GS's caps. So I'll need to order some of those (along with some other small bits and pieces for the swingarm).
Old 08-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #41
BiGR Rich OP
Gnarly Adventurer

To fix the ride height issue while using the GS swingarm, I was planning on having the lower shock mount tig welded in a proper position. But then it dawned on me......moving the upper shock mount would have the same affect.

I cut about 1/4" of steel from the upper bolt's hole to get the proper ride height. I'll have it welded up within a month or so, but for the time being I can at least set the bike on 2 wheels.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #42
BiGR Rich OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Also worth mentioning: I ordered a tail light lens from a T500. I was going to mock up the tail light mount, but I ran out of sheet metal...... dammit.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #43
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,772
My tempter was my very first bike. I found it in a guys garage, gave him $250 for it after no less than 15 years of storage. Bad gas and all. Put about $50 into it and rode the wheels off it, old cracked tires and all.....ahhhh the ignorance of youth.

It makes a great offroad bike too. DAMHIK
Old 09-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #44
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,767
Excellent thread, Rich. I haven't been paying real close attention to ADV this summer (sad, I know), so I just found this. I really like what you're doing with the rear suspension (both swingarm and shock). On the rear wheel, is that a bolt-on conversion, or was any modification required? BTW, it you go to a rear disk soon, I might be interested in buying your rear wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGR Rich View Post
Used the wheel and spokes from a GT750 to convert the stock 16" wheel to an 18" wheel:

Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #45
BiGR Rich OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry Pablo, I've been distracted as well......

I've been going back and forth researching what will and will not fit as far as the rear wheel goes. The rear GS750 wheel I was looking at will require either machining the swingarm to fit the 20mm axle or fitting some 17x42x12 bearings (which are only available as "non-sealed" for a Honda motor). Regardless though, I have a couple rear GR650 wheels. Shoot me a pm as to what you're looking for, pretty good chance I have it hanging on the wall....

Legitimate updates coming soon, I swear.