Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #76
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Good that you are still vertical James, albeit scraped and little broken. As others mention, the bike can be replaced.

Maybe if you get it back it will be a good basis for a Rat -GS.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #77
auldublinr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Mucho Hombre

Jaysus lad you are one tough Limey.Love your attitude on the situation.Really glad you are walking around and planning more trips.Those pictures are really intense.Your wife is a very strong lady also.
I'm going to drink a couple of Boddingtons to your Family's great Spirit this eve.
Regards
auldublinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #78
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,185
Because of this I was certainly more careful when I was down there with the wife. I did actually stop off and see the bike....
I would have given the guy $400 for it

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #79
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,547
My bike

it was pretty bad eh?

To hell with it, I raided my SEP IRA and bought two used BMW R1200GS's!

So I get a new to me bike and to be fair Colleen get's one as well!

It's either money in the bank or motorcycles. I know which one brings me more pleasure.

Just gotta get these hands working.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #80
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
That"s a good choice TUCKERS, any day of the week.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #81
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,979
Really glad to read that you survived and it wasn't any worse. It sure could have gone the wrong way.
Its pretty ironic that a vegitarian killed a cow !
Old 03-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #82
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 685
brutal
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:17 AM   #83
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Update:

Hands are about 90% now .

I bought a 2006 BMW R1200GS with 6000 miles on. So the PO did ALL of that in about six years.

Since May I have put 7000 more miles on it (haven't been able to ride as much because of money and hands.)

Been prepping our two DR650's for a ride WAY south this year after Thanksgiving. Good therapy for the hands and good for the soul.

Hope to be doing a Ride Report.

Tuckers to Tierra Del Fuego

it's good to be alive
Old 08-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #84
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 312
Glad to hear it, man, you made it through a rough one! As someone who's behind you on the recovery curve, how did your mental recovery go? How was the process of beginning to ride again?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #85
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

I wasn't too interested in getting on a bike from about September until around March. My hands just wouldn't allow it.

We bought two 1200's, one in Sacramento and one in Prescott AZ. I took Colleen in the car and she rode BOTH bikes home. I just didn't want to ride.

I did my first ride to Occupational Therapy in Los Angeles, about 30 miles of freeway. I was apprehensive initially, but once on the freeway everything just kicked in and I was splitting lanes and riding well.

My first ride up the mountain (California Hwy 2) was scary. I thought there would be something around every corner, but after the first 100 miles my confidence came back.

Even now though almost one year after I am apprehensive before a ride, but on reflection I always am. I used to road race and would be super jittery before each race. I do find myself putting off rides and I certainly have been using the car more for local trips.

We head back down to Baja in November, so we will see how that goes when I get past Mama Espinoza's and on the same day ride as that fateful one. I know for sure when I see cow signs I am slowing down A LOT, I noticed in my Police Truck ride down there the cop almost stopped whenever he even saw a cow. Of course it's the right thing to do. I was reckless really thinking about it on reflection.

So....I'd say there was quite an amount of mental anxiety and only 'doing' it allowed me to overcome that. Sitting around thinking about it was detrimental.

I can't imagine NOT riding motor bikes, I've been doing it since Christmas Day 1962! (12 years old riding a friends BSA Bantam).
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #86
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,321
Are you riding back to nucomb's? I was up there most Sundays this summer with my son, he is on a Husky Strada, pretty rare bike. I have lost track of what your bikes look like so may have crossed paths.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #87
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
Are you riding back to nucomb's? I was up there most Sundays this summer with my son, he is on a Husky Strada, pretty rare bike. I have lost track of what your bikes look like so may have crossed paths.
Yes we have been going again. We went just last Sunday and it was packed. We have been up twice since the road resurface (crap).

We now have R1200GS both gray and silver.

People don't usually miss Colleen's presence, what with her full three panniers she always sports on her bike and her curly red hair!

Aren't you riding a Ducati 848 or something like that...the new one?

We may not ride for a couple of weeks as we have a house guest who doesn't ride. Although I hope to sneak away for a quickie, I may be riding a Suzuki DR650 with a Touratech top box and Acerbis tank...it's starting to look like Frankenbike.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #88
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Sounds like you're doing great for an impact like that. Any idea of where the cow took the hit? I ask because I'd think the front wheel might go under the midsection of a cow and not get ripped off, so I'm guessing you hit it in the rear leg.

Keep on ridin'!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #89
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

I'm thinking I hit her or him about mid section or towards the rear left side. It was a shorty, not full grown, so perhaps I just caught it 'just so'..I was travelling south and bovine was crossing to my left. Colleen didn't see me flying, but she did see the bike doing cartwheels, she said the fork seemed to part company in mid air.

All I remember is "shit I'm going to hit a cow" then rolling...black top/sky for a half dozen times or more. I don't recall the impact or the flight over the bovine. Colleen saw the bike flying in mid air......the cow had taken a few steps across the road and then keeled over.....she didn't even see what I hit and wondered how I managed to get the bike cartwheeling like that. She never saw the cow at all.

IIRC GPS shows 100 feet length of movement at 5mph. I still have the GPS down load of the crash site and the previous two hours non stop riding, showing all our speeds. 66mph before, then 5mph after. Also elevation changes, the bike went from highest 80 feet above sea level to lowest 30 feet above sea level at crash site. The ditch looked to be 20/30 feet deep so the bike must have flown perhaps 20 feet upwards in the air at the windshield height (were my GPS was mounted).
I stopped 50 feet short of the bike.....it was way ahead of me and I had to look to find it. It was also across the road and facing north. It looked like I could have been travelling north and run in the right side ditch if you didn't know the story. I was surprised how far me and the bike had gone from point of impact.

TUCKERS screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 04:35 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #90
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Yes we have been going again. We went just last Sunday and it was packed. We have been up twice since the road resurface (crap).

We now have R1200GS both gray and silver.

People don't usually miss Colleen's presence, what with her full three panniers she always sports on her bike and her curly red hair!

Aren't you riding a Ducati 848 or something like that...the new one?

We may not ride for a couple of weeks as we have a house guest who doesn't ride. Although I hope to sneak away for a quickie, I may be riding a Suzuki DR650 with a Touratech top box and Acerbis tank...it's starting to look like Frankenbike.
I'm down to a 07GSA (white) which always has a top box on, and my son's Husky650 Strada.

I won't be up for a couple of weeks at least most likely. I was slipping on fresh tar snakes a couple of weeks ago.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote