User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
atomicalex OP
Glück zu!

Oddometer: 2,506
Daily distances in the Alps?

Myself and a GF have decided to do an Alps trip. We plan to autoZug it down to München, then ride over to the Dolomites, and then West. The route is not so much of an issue, but the distances. IE - how much to plan per day.

She is riding her long-term F650GS twin with side cases and a top box, I'm hoping to have my F650GS single back on the road (don't ask) with Varioboxes and a soft bag on the back. Otherwise, it's the CBR (FSM, I hope not) with lots of softbags strapped on. Regardless, we will travel relatively light and for nine days and plan to do the pension thing so we can sleep in real beds and take showers.

We both have decent riding experience, and she's been around the Northern Alps once before, but not deep into the passes. Our goal is not to pound out every pass there is, but we do want to bag a few (ok, lots) and enjoy the scenery and the trip. I expect lots of picture taking and occasional trackbacks. We expect to be in the saddle for about six hours a day - three in the morning with a lunch break, then a further three in the afternoon. When things permit, we may ride further in the afternoons.

What is a realistic kilometer count per day with all of the mountains involved? 300? 400?
Old 08-19-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
I'm in Munich currently after a 9 day ride with two friends around the alps. We started here and did Innsbruck to Switzerland to northern Italy. 1400 miles total, and we did as much riding as possible, about 35 total passes with gps routes custom made for us. I wouldn't suggest more than 150 miles a day average if you only want to ride 6 hours a day.
Many days we were 8 + hours.

Enjoyed Splugen and of course Stelvio, with another north of Lenz also epic.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,165
Yup - 200 ~ 300 kms per day, depending on how often you stop to just watch the scenery. This was this past July - 18 riding days with about 1000 kms of the total on Autobahns from and to Heidelberg.

Very similar to past years - figure an average speed of 40 ~ 50 kph while moving.

Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
atomicalex OP
Glück zu!

Perfect! Thank you!!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

A couple of additional thoughts.

If you're in an area with lots of riding (like the Dolomites), consider basing in a central location for a few days. This gives you the ability to just ride and enjoy without the hassle of finding a place each night and the daily packing/unpacking drill.

I usually spend a couple of nights in the Andermatt area in Switzerland and the Arabba/Corvara area in the Dolomites. Lots of facilities and riding in the immediate area.

Another strategy is to get a room early in the day (beat the crowds) and ride into the evening in the local area.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
mhpr262

Oddometer: 3,459
You are welcome to check out my "Dolomites" and "Three days in the Alps" RRs in my sig. When do you intend to arrive? Summer holiday in bavaria end in exactly three weeks, high season is basically over then and you shouldn't have any trouble finding cheap rooms.
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Yup - 200 ~ 300 kms per day
+1

Calculate 60kph as a moving average for European secondary roads, but less in the Alps.

pip_muenster screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 01:55 PM
pip_muenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Cooltours
Rider of passion

Oddometer: 1,481
My magic formula is 300 500 700...., km's obviousely, NOT miles;-)
Cooltours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
I just got back from a trip through Austria and Slovenia. 300 km a day is fairly comfortable. Our last day was 500 km, and left me planning to install a softer seat.

Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
You might want to pick up a copy of John Hermann's book about touring the Alps:

http://www.amazon.ca/Motorcycle-Jour.../dp/1884313701
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,271
300km and 100 photos/day. It maybe doesn't sound like much but it's about what I ended up doing.
You're going to have a great time.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
Yojimbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Daily Milage

Took my (now ex) girlfriend on two trips in the Alps, so taking our time and enjoying the sights was 250 km/day, with the occasional longer or shorter day. Back in my "pass hound" days, I would do 400+ km/day, but that's up and going by 8:00, and riding till six or seven at night, which I wouldn't recommend if you plan on finding lodging as you go. In that case, you want to pick the town and find hotel/gasthof/albrego by four-thirty or five, because things can fill up. And, the more I've gone, the more convinced I am that the time spent having a cappuccino and watching the world go by is just as rewarding as the time on the bike. Enjoy!
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:15 AM   #13
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
Back in my "pass hound" days, I would do 400+ km/day, but that's up and going by 8:00, and riding till six or seven at night,
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
And, the more I've gone, the more convinced I am that the time spent having a cappuccino and watching the world go by is just as rewarding as the time on the bike. Enjoy!
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Old 08-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
atomicalex OP
Glück zu!

To update...

We've decided to plan 2000kms, München to home, with an optional side loop of 350kms if we are doing well. One of the things we have both discussed is that as we have never traveled toghether before and this will be the first real "adventure" trip for both of us. To that issue, we have planned two "escapes" that will allow us to end early if needed. The extra loop is in case things go super duper and we are making good time.

We booked our AutoZug tickets to München last night, if anyone else is around, we leave Düsseldorf on Friday, 20.Sep and arrive Sat 21.Sep. If you are out and about and see two loaded up baby GSs with dorky chicks on top, that will be us. Still have not decided on what to wear - it's between my leder and my Gore-Tex. Both have their strong and weak points.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #15
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Still have not decided on what to wear...
JUST like a woman

Seriously - leather comes into its own while sliding down the road without your bike. Any other time, it's a bit of a PITA.

Today's armored textile suits are almost as good, and just about equal at "Tourist Speeds". My usual gear is a first Gear Kilimanjaro and Aerostich Darien overpants. The entire outer layer is highly water resistant (NOTHING is waterPROOF). Under layers can be added or subtracted as temperatures dictate. The upside is that you never have to stop and mess with rain gear. I do carry a pair of rain covers for my gloves, but they take up almost no room in my tankbag.

The programmed bail-out point is a good idea, and provides a nice reality check on the ride's progress.

Have a ball, take lotsa pictures, and, of course, we want to hear all about it when you get back and get it all sorted out.
Michael J. - IBA #3901