User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 399 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #11281
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,345
Wolveriners, is there a point to upgrading the turret? Looks like all it would do is add weight and slow down my turreting (I just made that word up).

Or am I missing the bigger picture?

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #11282
Theaty Hannington
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
So here is the replay for the match I posted the battle summary for earlier:

So in this one I got to the battle early enough to start dealing damage at that first encounter, but I learned a few things:

1. I trust my camo too much. Being deeper in cover could have let me not get shot at all. Camo helps tremendously, but it can become a crutch. Getting caught out in the open sucks quickly.
2. Sick air off of sweet jumps are for the training rooms, not battles. Pretty boneheaded move on my part.
3. I should have decided where to go more quickly near the end. The OpFor had two tanks left, I knew exactly where they were, and I didn't make a decision on where to go for about 30 seconds. Too slow. Much too slow.

Any critiques welcome.

"Everyone who isn't playing your tank in that round knows how to play it better." - Morgue
Theaty Hannington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #11283
Theaty Hannington
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
Wolveriners, is there a point to upgrading the turret? Looks like all it would do is add weight and slow down my turreting (I just made that word up).

Or am I missing the bigger picture?
It adds 20 more hit points and increases your rate of fire.

"Everyone who isn't playing your tank in that round knows how to play it better." - Morgue
Old 08-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #11284
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theaty Hannington View Post
It adds 20 more hit points and increases your rate of fire.
Haha.. winnn. Got 5 kills and won with 20 points left. Good thing I upgraded!

This is my signature.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #11285
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244

Posted on by Silentstalker88 Comments ↓
- it looks like no matter what happens with the KV-1S 122mm gun, the 100mm S-34 will be added either way
- the reason for KV-1S balance is that it stands out in the statistics. Not terribly, but it does. So in any case it is necessery to somehow nerf the 122mm KV-1S, but what exactly is still being discussed
- the German unhistorical engines removal was the balance team’s idea, not SerB’s.

- Q: “Why remove unhistorical German engines when most of the players don’t care about their historicity anyway, but it did cost a lot of XP to level them up and it causes distrust between players and WG?” A: “We don’t care about distrust, conspiracy theorists would make up a conspiracy theory anyway”
- gold shells use has not increased compared to before, according to developers, the gold ammo for credits was a good thing to do
- no skill MM will ever appear: “If you get more skilled, you will have the right to pwn”
- SerB wants to remove the new sliders from the test, he already wrote Storm about it
- will the Object 140 have better accuracy on the move because of the improved suspension? “Tests will show”
- officially there will not be an option to actually select, which national voiceover goes to which tank, but the modmakers will do something like that SerB says
- SerB on constant WoT rebalance: “There is stability only in grave – in the sense that there is not one “live” MMO without constant rebalance”
- the GW E tracks are too heavy (40 tons, 30 tons for other E-100 vehicles), these 10 tons will be moved from the trucks to the hull, it has no influence on gameplay, so it has very low priority
- whilem the T-44-85 will carry the S-54 gun, its ballistic properties are allegedly the same as the ones of S-53, eg. 120 pen. It’s possible that the T-44-85 will recieve special shells to improve the penetration
- maps Moscow, Stalingrad, Minsk and Kharkov (city maps) are being developed for random battles too
- national voiceover subtitles in other language are not planned
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #11286
Theaty Hannington
Beastly Adventurer

In 8.9, WG will add the Type 3 Chi-Nu Kai. There will then be five tier 5 premium mediums to choose from, and two that are unobtainable premiums. As you all must know by now, I will be buying the Chi-Nu Kai. I have excited since Open Beta about the promised Japanese line. This morning, I wanted to see how it would stack up against the other tier 5 medium premiums though, so I made the following chart. The numbers are from this article.

Make what conclusions you want from it. I am excited about the Chi-Nu Kai due to its good pen, accuracy, and turret armor for the tier. This, to me, looks like a very fun tank, and I have waited two years already, what's a few more months? It stacks up against non-premium tier 5 mediums like this:

Now, these numbers for the Chi-Nu Kai are just the ones that leaked from the super-test, so they will probably change. But so far it's looking slow with weak hull armor, but a great gun and a great turret. We will see how it changes while being balanced over the next few months. I am excited no matter what. IJA finally in the game!

A little history on this premium tank:

The Type 97 Chi-Ha (above) is in the game and a great tank, in my opinion, though shuffled away to the "We have no tanks of our own" Chinese line. The Imperial Japanese Army realized that it would be ineffectual against the M4 Sherman in the eventual invasion of the Home Islands, so in 1943 they began development of the Type 4 Chi-To. The Type 4 was much larger than the Chi-Ha, but with similar lines and angling. The development ran into issues and delays so they fast-tracked a stop-gap tank solution. They took the Type 97 Chi-Ha hull and suspension, a 75mm Type 3 Tank Gun, and a new turret based on the angular Type 4's turret. Marrying them together they created the Type 3 Chi-Nu (Below). The Chi-Nu was the last tank the IJA fielded in the war. Production of them was stopped by the American Army.

The Chi-Nu Kai is the chassis and suspension from the Type 3 Chi-Nu, mated to the turret and gun of the Type 4 Chi-To (Below). That gun is a modified Type 4 AA Gun named the Type 5 75mm Tank Gun. The single prototype of this Frankenstein design was finished in March 1945, but never entered combat.

PS -- Some Type 97 Chi-Has had 120mm guns attached to them:

Can you imagine that at tier 3?

Theaty Hannington screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 03:18 PM
Old 08-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #11287
Morgue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
National Crew voices (except US and Uk have the same). I am excited for this. Anyone who gets on TS with me will here me speaking Chinese now.

http://youtu.be/IwHx0W_82gI

Morgue screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 08:42 AM
Morgue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #11288
we3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Please pleas pleasePLEASE pleasepleaseplease tell me I can turn that crap off - its enough to make me walk away from the game.

They tried that lame assed voice overs once before and got laughed off the internet - so much so that they hot fixed it 48 hours after the BIG REVEAL.

Not no but - HELL NO.

....I miss America
we3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #11289
Morgue
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by we3 View Post
Please pleas pleasePLEASE pleasepleaseplease tell me I can turn that crap off - its enough to make me walk away from the game.

They tried that lame assed voice overs once before and got laughed off the internet - so much so that they hot fixed it 48 hours after the BIG REVEAL.

Not no but - HELL NO.

It is optional. I think they said you have to go turn it on in the settings. I don't know what they sounded like before, but now all but the UK sound pretty decent.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #11290
we3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Actually SilentStalker has said it is ON or ALL OFF no voices what so ever - ALL on or ALL off is his reply .

Also the thread - it look like not a single person likes them (again)

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2013/08/26/national-voiceovers/

The chinese syntax is in English which the chinese players are saying it is totally grammatically wrong (show you my surprised face that WarGaming screwed the pooch?)

Cheap code too - as the example - drive a German vehicle, have German audio. Die and change to watching someone play - say French - the audio for the French your listening to is still German and not Frog.

Another fine job of quality control WarGaming.... we expect nothing more.

....I miss America
we3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #11291
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,369
I don't play arty too much anymore, but platooning with Lobster yesterday I slid into my GWPanther. I can't believe how little damage it does now
Just played another round, and even direct hits were only between 90 and 225hp

hardly seems worth it anymore.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #11292
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,838
Nice pictures and write up, THeaty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by we3 View Post

Not no but - HELL NO.
And what a commotion it made! For those newer to the game, it was an incredible backlash after they changed to more flambouyant voices.

To be honest, part of it really seemed as if they hired an actual Russian to do the American voice-overs. There was something alien and accented about his louder "We've been Hit!!" or whatever the phrases were.

Perhaps they'll do better this time? I think many likesd the neatrality with which the current voices state events.

--------

Had a surprise today when I rushed my T-54 down a hill to kill an E50. Apparently the tier nine E50 can back down a hill at nearly the same speed a T-54 can go down that same hill forward. My perceived advantge was negated.

I did get the kill, but then got killed afterward from having to linger in the area in the long amount of time it took me to get behind him.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 10:11 AM
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #11293
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244

Posted on by Silentstalker55 Comments ↓
First, some info from Overlord:
- the bug where the vehicle says “not ready for battle” but in fact it IS read for battle on test server is a bug, it will be solved
- the Tiger buffs will make the Tiger more popular
- there will be no special XP/credit compensation for engines lost in 8.8
- if you sell your Superpershing, you will get no gold compensation for its gold ammo

Regular Q&A
- WG will compensate premium account only if the servers were down for more than 4 hours
- the new WG rating does not imply there will be a rating based MM
- there will be no “forsage” mode/consumable for Germans, as the 1200hp engines (E-50/75) were totally unhistorical, the “forsage” allowed the engine to temporarily operate at 1000hp and it was available only in the 60′s
- boiler plates of the same thickness are roughly two times less effective than armor plates, when it comes to resistance to shells. That’s one of the reasons more “layers” of Superpershing armor will not be modelled, it will stay as it is in 8.8
- the reason Leopard prototype has such a thin armor (50mm) is that by that time, all the countries used HEAT and subcaliber rounds en masse and the designers thought that no matter what they do, the armor will get penetrated anyway, so they might as well make it withstand only low caliber weapons fire from autocannons, while making the vehicle lighter and faster
- the German tanks didn’t have historical modules in the past, because “it was not possible to do it from the start” (SS: I guess it’s tied to the evolution of the branches, where vehicles were forced to fill other niches, f.e. +/-3 tier spread)
- SerB has a Moskvich 2141 from 1993 as his car
- Soviet 1200hp engines are historical, as it was basically two 600hp V-2 engines working in pair
- Q:”Will you make the commander’s copulas not damageable by shells?” A:”And what about a ‘make me invulnerable and kill all’ button?”
- reward tanks from missions will be hard to obtain
- SerB on how much historical WOT is: “We balance the historicity and the playability in such an extent we consider necessery”
- despite the fact tanks are being balanced around their top configuration, SerB states that no gun is considered to be “top” and thus the two guns for T-44 for example (D-25T and LB-1) are considered equal
- RU251 will not come in 8.9, as there are still some issues with obtaining some info from Münster
- the idea is that free experience should be shared between WoT, WoWp and WoWs, but the developers are still waiting for some technical solution on this
- Q: “You removed the unhistorical engine from E-75. How do you know what engine was historical, when the vehicle was never built and no engine was installed in it?” A: “No engine was installed in it in real life, so we’ll just remove all the engines from it”
- Object 139 won’t be introduced as a separate tank
- the entire German E-series rebalance is a compromise according to SerB
- Havoc server-side destruction physics will be implemented
- S-34 (the new coming KV-1S gun) is roughly equal to the 100mm D-10T, it’s a bit weaker in secondary parameters
- SerB is still fighting to keep the 122mm KV-1S
- 2nd German TD branch in 8.9? “It’s possible”
- 7/42 companies: “when it’s done it’s done”
- the fire extinguisher change is not actual ATM (SS: there was a plan to make all the fire extinguishers automatic, with the skill reducing the delay in which they activate)
- Q: “Why does not shooting allies who are capturing enemy base reset the capture counter like when you shoot enemies?” A: “So that retards – and you did try that, didn’t you? – don’t disrupt the capture while screaming ‘No cap!!!!!!’”
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #11294
Morgue
Gnarly Adventurer

The 112 and the t-43-3 are now available to test on the test server.

Quote:
Hello everyone,

as many of you (judging from the queues) probably noticed, both the 112 and the T-34-3 are available on the test server now. The developers used a strange way to add them: since they weren’t added to the test shop, they added them as special mission reward:
Quote:
As you can see, all you have to do to get them is to play one battle. Simple enough.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #11295
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theaty Hannington View Post
I learned a few things:

1. I trust my camo too much. Being deeper in cover could have let me not get shot at all. Camo helps tremendously, but it can become a crutch. Getting caught out in the open sucks quickly.
2. Sick air off of sweet jumps are for the training rooms, not battles. Pretty boneheaded move on my part.
3. I should have decided where to go more quickly near the end. The OpFor had two tanks left, I knew exactly where they were, and I didn't make a decision on where to go for about 30 seconds. Too slow. Much too slow.

Any critiques welcome.
When I do critiques, I watch the video once, pause when I type a note, then hit play again. Here is what I saw:

Quote:
@0:30:
- You appear to be following the M3 Stuart; he is already beyond the expectation of cover fire.
- The Pz2G and the M3 Lee will soon have lights. You should be moving to the west side of the ridge.

@0:40:
- You've noticed the spots from Pz2G. You are there by 0:50.

@1:30
- You are parked in the open, showing your side, firing at an advancing enemy. Between shots, you should be backing into cover.

@1:50
- Still in the open, shooting a KV-1 that is 242m away. Even though you haven't taken a hit, your position is very exposed.

@2:10
- You finally take a hit; I don't know why the AT2, BDR, and KV1 hadn't shot you till now.
- You are maneuvering in sniper mode. This is almost always a bad idea. Sides still exposed.

@2:45
- Believe it or not, third-person would have allowed you to aim at the AT2's weak spot.

@3:10
- Your camera has been facing southwest for more than 2 minutes. There are two other fights nearby:
- Green T82 fighting a red M2 Medium behind you. He may be dying.
- Green Matilda is advancing against a red M3 Lee. He may need cover fire.

@3:20
- You burned your repair kit on tracks by reflex. Very bad habit. It may cost you a damaged gun or engine down the road.

@3:35
- T82 asks for help against M2 Medium.

@3:40
- T82 dies to M2 Medium. Your camera is still facing southwest.

@3:49
- Your camera is finally facing north-east!

@4:00
- Incredibly, this match is still in the air.
- Only you, green Pz4, green M4 are close enough to prevent the M2 from capping out.
- You haven't checked the health of the green Pz4, green M4, or red M2.

@4:16
- Ally base cap timer starts.
- You and the M4 went south. You and M4 have lost any potential cap race, and are too far away to reset.
- The outcome of this game is now a 1v1 between a Pz4 and a M2. You know the HP of neither vehicle.

@4:35
- Green Pz4 resets cap timer.
- Does he secure the kill?

@5:00
- You start capping.

@5:10
- Green Pz4 kills the M2 Medium.
TL;DR - At 4:00 you forfeited the game to the green Pz4 to win against an M2 Medium. Was the Pz4 damaged? Was the M2 Medium firing 75mm HEAT? The video doesn't show.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: