User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
4doora OP
Moped guy

Oddometer: 20
Early Honda Trail 90 build

Hey everyone. My name is RJ. I signed up on this forum not too long ago looking for info on Honda ct90s. After seeing a lot of builds (and spending hours reading the postman's story), I got determined to build one for myself.

One of the reasons I decided to build one is I have a 140cc lifan motor that I bought new not too long ago. It's currently attached to this bike.

It started life as a PUCH magnum. 50cc two stroke moped. It was a fun build, but it's not a very practical bike. The grey area of registration (moped v. motorcycle & inspection) has always been a concern as well. Not to mention the moped community hates 4 strokes . The engine is just too heavy for it. I'm probably going to convert it back into a moped after I rob the engine off of it.

Just yesterday I purchased a lot of CT90s from a craigslist ad.

One of the rollers is a ct90 with a bottom end to the motor, the other roller is a ct200, and theres another ct200 frame cut in two.
From what I've read on this great forum, the lifan should bolt right up to the ct200, so that's what I'm going to use.
(please excuse the shitty ipod pictures)

I just started tearing into it tonight. Not I'm not so sure which direction I'm going to go... either give her a new shiney coat of paint, or try to bring the original stuff back to life again. Any input is appreciated, as I'm one of the most indecisive people around.
4doora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
4doora OP
Moped guy

Well, I got her all torn apart all over my garage. I discovered somewhere down the line someone welded the top and bottom of the forks together, so out came the grinder and I separated them. luckily there was a spare shell of a former set of forks on the half bike I got in the deal. They were straight, so I robbed the guts from the junk forks and built myself a decent pair. The past weekend has been filled with cleaning and sanding of all sorts of parts.

Forks cleaned and primed:

Frame cleaned/ primed:

After the first few coats of Rustoleum apple red. It's a great match for the original red.

And here she sits tonight. I polished the aluminum bits on my buffing wheel to give them a bit of sheen. I can't resist polishing aluminum, it cleans up so nicely.

You can see my '78 Honda Hobbit in the background of this pic. I just got her forks and front wheel all fixed up from an accident last week.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
This will be a good build, well done sir

2009 Yamaha Jog 50RR LC sold 2011
2011 Rieju Marathon Pro 125 SM sold 2013
1990 Honda VFR 400 NC30 purchased 2013
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
4doora OP
Moped guy

Thanks kennon!

Here she sits tonight. I got the wheels all cleaned up as best I could and got the brakes all freed up. Also got the front fender painted and fitted along with the front mudflap.

The tank/seat are off the '68 ct90. The inside of the tank is absolutely spotless, and the original paint on the outside isn't so bad. I'm debating on painting it or just leaving it original. It's a bit more orange than the rest of the bike though.

I also placed an order for some odds and ends on ebay from a shop in Thailand... shipping was almost as much as the parts cost, and it's probably going to take about a month, but there's not many other options
Old 08-15-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Perhaps try abit of T-cut and polishing up to try and bring the faded red up to a reasonable standard with the rest of the bike.

2009 Yamaha Jog 50RR LC sold 2011
2011 Rieju Marathon Pro 125 SM sold 2013
1990 Honda VFR 400 NC30 purchased 2013
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,361
Got a link to the Thai shop by any chance?

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
4doora OP
Moped guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
Got a link to the Thai shop by any chance?
Just an ebay shop:
http://stores.ebay.com/otto-classicb...p2047675.l2563
They're one of the few places I could find the headlight surround, so I ordered some other parts from there as well. I can't yet say how apt I would be to recommend them.

I've also dealt with this store in the past on an order for my Honda Passport c70, and was pleased with my purchase. The mirrors I ordered were very good quality, and only cost me about $15 plus shipping.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
4doora OP
Moped guy

Got the motor bolted up!

It took a bit of work with the grinder to get the clearance to fit, but the bolt holes lined up nicely after that.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 388
Looking good. I'm doing the same build, even down to the high $$$ Rustoleum Apple Red paint job!

Here's my report:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909247

I didn't get any complete bikes for my build though. People here can't tell garbage from gold. They're asking $2k for bikes that are in the condition yours started off in.

Mine is being Frankenbiked together out of a pile of misc. bike parts that I've assembled over the years.

And, yes, the Thai bike shops take a lot longer than the Chinese ones!

66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
4doora OP
Moped guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Road Cowboy View Post
I didn't get any complete bikes for my build though. People here can't tell garbage from gold. They're asking $2k for bikes that are in the condition yours started off in.
I hear ya man. It took me a bit of searching to find anything worthwhile. Everyone seems to have the mindset that a ct90 in decent shape just under a grand is a "a bargain". I managed to pick up the lot of bikes for $225. Whatever I have left over I'll probably sell for parts. I'm sure someone out there could use a nice frame and bottom end. The half bike I'm going to hang onto for a chopper project in the distant future.

Anywho, last week I managed to piece together an exhaust. The header on the stock honda pipe was banged up, and the flange isn't right for the lifan anyways; so I cut it up along with the pit bike exhaust and made a decent pipe. After a coat of BBQ paint on the pipe, and gloss black on the guards, here's how it looks:

I also got the rack painted and mounted, along with some grip tape to dress it up a little.

Amazing how much the look of the bike changes with just the signature ct90 exhaust and rear rack mounted up.

Since I didn't have any brake levers or good controls I decided to try out a set of cheapo chinese honda-style controls off ebay. The quality of the metal isn't the greatest; I had half of one of the original honda levers and it was still heavier than one of the cheap levers. For 25 bucks, I can't complain.

I didn't need the directional switch so i took it out.

And I'm not sure why there's both a 3 position light switch on the right and a hi-lo switch on the left. Oh well, they're shiny.

While I wait on parts I guess I'll start on wiring
I think I'm going to wire it up to run without a battery like I did with the magnum, not certain yet.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 388
I got the same kind of Chinese controls, but mine has a red button on the right side. I'm going to wire it up as a kill button.

I'm keeping the turn signals too. I know they aren't required, but maybe they will help cagers to be able to "see" me in traffic. Most of the drivers around here wouldn't know a hand signal from the ADV salute!

Good job on your build!
I like the exhaust. I picked up a Chinese cheapo CT70 pipe on ebay for $50 that I'll need to make fit.

The wiring shouldn't be much of a problem, since you had it wired once before.

66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #12
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4doora View Post
I hear ya man. It took me a bit of searching to find anything worthwhile. Everyone seems to have the mindset that a ct90 in decent shape just under a grand is a "a bargain". I managed to pick up the lot of bikes for $225. Whatever I have left over I'll probably sell for parts. I'm sure someone out there could use a nice frame and bottom end. The half bike I'm going to hang onto for a chopper project in the distant future.

Anywho, last week I managed to piece together an exhaust. The header on the stock honda pipe was banged up, and the flange isn't right for the lifan anyways; so I cut it up along with the pit bike exhaust and made a decent pipe. After a coat of BBQ paint on the pipe, and gloss black on the guards, here's how it looks:

I also got the rack painted and mounted, along with some grip tape to dress it up a little.

Amazing how much the look of the bike changes with just the signature ct90 exhaust and rear rack mounted up.

Since I didn't have any brake levers or good controls I decided to try out a set of cheapo chinese honda-style controls off ebay. The quality of the metal isn't the greatest; I had half of one of the original honda levers and it was still heavier than one of the cheap levers. For 25 bucks, I can't complain.

I didn't need the directional switch so i took it out.

And I'm not sure why there's both a 3 position light switch on the right and a hi-lo switch on the left. Oh well, they're shiny.

While I wait on parts I guess I'll start on wiring
I think I'm going to wire it up to run without a battery like I did with the magnum, not certain yet.
I would run a battery as the lights will stay brighter when on the go,.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,172
I like to wire the turn signal button as a kill switch. Middle is on, both right and left are off. Makes a cool anti-theft device....
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Watching this over on the Yuku site.
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
billfires
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Is the middle position on the right side switch for "parking" lights? I know that Honda use to have a position for just the tail light to stay on. Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote