Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #16
4doora
Moped guy

Oddometer: 17
I can't wait to see the progress you make on this. I'm going to be building a similar bike soon.
4doora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #17
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 387
Sorry guys, I've been slacking a bit on the report.

I spent a bit of time making some work space in my shop so that I wouldn't keep tripping over everything. I've got parts for 4 bikes in there, plus all my tools and equipment, so space is a bit tight.

I did get a little progress made on the CT though. I had to do a bit of cutting and grinding on the frame to get the engine to bolt up. The little 4 1/2" Skil angle grinder that I bought at Wal-Mart really made quick work of it.

If you want to do any of these types of projects, and you don't have a small angle grinder - get one! The cheap ones from Harbor Freight would probably work too, but I don't have a HF store near me, and I don't want to mess with return shipping if it breaks, so I spent the $30 at Wally World. Then, get the $3 cutting blade for it, and you'll be able to cut, or grind just about anything you'll need on a bike project.
I have an old grinder that my dad gave me when I was 14. It is a heavy-duty (and very heavy at almost 20lbs.) all metal one that came from the oil fields in the 1960's.
The new ones are lighter, and work well for bike building. OK, enough about that.

I tried to take as little as possible off the frame because I didn't want it to look like a hack-job. I made some small cuts, and then ground down to the cut. Then, I test-fitted the frame to the engine, and repeated the process until it bolted together.

The pictures of the actual grinding didn't turn out because my camera was set on macro, and everything was blurry, even the sparks hitting my OSHA-approved bare feet!

So, here are the after pictures. you can see how I tried to keep the curves flowing.

Here is the left side:

Another up close:

Here is the right side:

And a close-up:

It took a little longer because of all the test fitting, but It will look pretty good when I get it touched up and repainted.

The rest of the work has been the tedious job of cleaning parts to prep for paint.

I also cleaned up the wheels so that I could see how the new Shinko trials tires will look on them.

(Those leaves are from last fall. I hate yard work! )

Not too bad:

Here is a close-up of the front:

The front wheel is a 19" wheel off an older (pre-disk brake) Honda 175 (I think). It is in pretty nice condition.

Here is a close-up of the rear:

It is an original 17" CT 90 wheel from the 60's, so it is in a bit rougher shape. I wanted to go with the original hub to be able to use the dual sprocket rear drive. Some of the spokes are a bit rusty, but I'm not going to replace them yet, just in case I want to change rim sizes. I'm starting with the 17 & 19, but I may go to a 19" rear with a 21" front. I'll have to see how I like the current set-up first.

That's about it for now, other than a lot of cleaning and sanding. Bike building is a dirty job!

66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #18
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Looks like it's coming along nicely!
'74 Jialonda XL70/125
www.possumliving.com
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #19
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,574
You'll like the Lifan 140 if you don't mind putting some umph into kick starting it, and you won't need the 68 tooth sprocket. With a 15/40 sprocket set it'll climb anything as long as you can get traction and keep the front wheel down. I now have over 11,000 miles on my CT90/140 and the only engine problem I've had is the shift drum stopper screw working loose causing it to jump out of gear (easy fix).
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #20
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
You'll like the Lifan 140 if you don't mind putting some umph into kick starting it, and you won't need the 68 tooth sprocket. With a 15/40 sprocket set it'll climb anything as long as you can get traction and keep the front wheel down. I now have over 11,000 miles on my CT90/140 and the only engine problem I've had is the shift drum stopper screw working loose causing it to jump out of gear (easy fix).
I don't think kick starting will be too bad. I used to kick start my old Yamaha 360, my 72 Sportster, and my BSA, so I hope I can kick a Lifan 140!

I'll probably change the front sprocket to a 17 or higher to get the road speed up a bit. I like having the option to play around with the different combinations with the dual rear. Maybe I'll change them out to something like a 36 and a 50ish.

I'm glad to hear that your Lifans are doing good. Your posts are what encouraged me to go the Lifan route instead of trying to find a good Honda engine.

Thanks hugemoth, and thanks to everyone else for following along and giving your encouragement!

Dirt Road Cowboy screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 09:21 PM
Old 08-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #21
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

Yesterday was a little strange here.

Our regular USPS letter carrier was off, so we get a new guy/substitute.
Anyway, he drove around the neighborhood, and checked each house for outgoing mail. Then, he drove around again to deliver the mail. He delivered 1 piece of junk mail, and drove off. A little while later, he drives back, and delivers an identical piece of junk mail! On his 4th trip around the neighborhood, he delivered a package I was waiting for!

4 trips to deliver the mail, one thing per trip! I'm glad I didn't have 100 pieces of mail, or the poor guy would still be driving around the neighborhood today! God forbid that he would have to walk the route instead of driving that little truck!

The US tax dollar at work!

Our regular carrier is pretty cool though. He always takes time to say hi, or pet my dogs. He'll even ask how "his girls" are doing if they aren't out when he comes by.

So, what does this have to do with the CT build? I was getting to that, just sit back and wait!

The package that the postman brought on the 4th trip was the stop/tail/turn signal/license holder that I bought for the CT.
I wanted a compact unit, rather than turn signals sticking out where they could get broken if the bike fell, so I found an all-in-one unit with LED lights for about $21 on ebay:

This is the stock CT tail light bracket:

(It has some cracks in the license bracket that I would have to weld up if I wanted to use it.)

I was just going to use the stock one, and find somewhere for the signal lights, but I like the all-in-one setup, plus, it's cheaper.

Then I got to looking at them, and saw something… The new unit has 2 sets of wires…

And I started thinking (I know, it's dangerous!), maybe…

Almost perfect!

There's a bit of a gap that I'll have to try to work with, but I think this might just be the ticket:

So, I'm thinking that I can bend the stock bracket, where the license plate bolts to, up and over to bolt to the new bracket, and drill a couple of holes to mount the top together.

If that doesn't work, I can just bolt the new set-up to the fender.

Dirt Road Cowboy screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 04:46 PM Reason: fix picture size
Old 08-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #22
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,310
I bought the same tail light & ithe tail light & stop light are not brite enough to use safely. Since it was already wired in & had my turnsignals & license plate light, I made a bracket from some ABS plastic & added a LED stop tail that is very bright. The turn signals are so so, but legal.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #23
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

Thanks for the warning. I'll have to hook them up to a 12v battery and check them out.

Were you running yours with a battery, or just off the engine?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #24
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,310
They were/are installed on my bike. Intitially just the cat eyes & my riding buddies let me know I wasn't very visible on the road. That cheap LED stop tail in the center is extremly bright.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

Thanks 4play. It's always good to hear from people with experience. Where did you get the brighter stop light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
They were/are installed on my bike. Intitially just the cat eyes & my riding buddies let me know I wasn't very visible on the road. That cheap LED stop tail in the center is extremly bright.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #26
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Grote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Road Cowboy View Post
Thanks 4play. It's always good to hear from people with experience. Where did you get the brighter stop light?
It looks like the lights we use on our trailers, check a parts house for big trucks.
I don't think they're expensive, very bright too. Good luck, more pix please.
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #27
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Subscribed!

I'm on the other side of the Metromess from you so I probably won't be running out to give you an hand, but I have been wanting to get one of the CT's for my wife to ride. So I"m going to watch your build
And that Lifan looks to be just the ticket for her.

I've got several 70's XL 125's in the bowels of my shop and when the Grandsons get bigger I may dig them out and put them back together for them to tear up.

Should you decide you have to have something powder coated let me know. My oven is 32" x 32" x 60"'s so I can PC and bake anything up to a bike frame. As long as it fits! Just one of those tools I always wanted and it fell in my lap one day.
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" -Burt Munro
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #28
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

Sorry for being so slow at doing the bike work. Life has been getting in the way.

Yeah, I know, stop the excuses, and get your priorities straight…Bike work and build report before the brakes on the wife's truck!

If only it worked that way…

I found a spot where the frame still hit the engine, and made it a tight fit, so I ground it down a little more, and now it's all good.
Then a little paint touch up, and the frame is done.

Finished:

And, I got a little more sanding and painting done on a few other parts.

Under seat gas tank:

Luggage rack:

Swing arm:

I don't know why the pictures look orange, but the parts really are very red!

Hopefully, I'll be able to start putting some of the pieces together tomorrow.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #29
Dirt Road Cowboy OP
Treasure Hunter

Finally - visible progress!

I did a bit of rough assembly today just to see how things will look, and to give myself some motivation!

This will be about the actual height, as you can tell from the low tires (I don't have the tubes in them yet).

Rear High:

Rear Low:

The rear shocks are from a Honda 500. I don't remember the exact model right off hand though. It looks like they will give me about 4" over stock height, keeping the 17" CT wheel.

Front High:

Front Low:

The front forks are from a Honda 125, either an XT or XR. I'm not sure. The front fender definitely needs some alterations, since it is hitting the engine right now!
The ball bearings were easy to get in, just glue them in with lots of grease!

I have a few different handlebars, some lower, some higher, but I think I like the height of these.

The plastic top gas tank will still need to have some brackets made to hold it, and the seat will have to go back 2" - 3" to fit comfortably. I'll make a steel plate with some adjustable mounting holes to get a perfect fit, and I will need to make some brackets to move the rack back a little, too.

Anyway, that's roughly how Linda is going to look. I think she's looking nice, but I may be a bit biased!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #30
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,076
You know we love dirt bike pics.you delivered.The frame is humping it's own power plant.

ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote