ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #2566
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Home again, Home again, Jiggity jig

Add two more does and one raccoon the size of a small sheepdog to the list.

Here's the one cemetery I could find:

Here's my Tiger at the Indian Lake Stewart's (rained a bit):

Total of 270 miles for a nice evening ride. Honestly, riding through the Adirondacks at night is very peaceful and enjoyable when there is no traffic (none tonight). You just have to use some common sense with the throttle position because of the nocturnal wildlife.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #2567
pit0rz
Off on a bimble...

Oddometer: 714
Welcome to the Tiger fold! She's a nice lookin scoot for sure.

take the long way home
pit0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #2568
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 442
Ssevy

That sounds like a great ride and certainly an awesome bike. It is really a shame that you were so close to the tag but did not find it. It looks like you might have turned onto Racquette River Rd. rather than staying on Stark Rd. which would have brought you to the Blake Cemetary sign.

I did about 240 miles yesterday, first met up with a new friend with a DRZ400 in the morning and cruised some spots over by his house. We both had to go home to entertain the wives, but when I got home mine was talking about going to one of my favorite places, which we might not have access to in the future.

Of course that means meeting her there and taking a little detour to grab the ADK tag in case nobody else has ;)

After grabbing the tag (it was on Stark Rd. btw) I headed towards rt56 and then rt3. A couple miles after leaving the Stark rd I bump into this familiar character having a legitimate business meeting in the Long Pond trailhead on a Sunday afternoon.......

Had a Coke and a smoke and went on my merry way.

Here's the new tag:

I'll give some hints since this is even more out of the way and not technically in the park (but does follow the rules)

disclaimer: this does require riding on a dirt road, and while lamenting this fact on the way there I met a bright and shiny Ruby Red Metric Cruiser Bagger thing with crashbars and hard bags and a middle aged guy in a beany helmet riding up this dirt road (seriously, not joking at all) -- So if he can do it surely you ADVRIDER types can :)

The road has the same name as the lodge. There are technically two sections of the road that no longer connect due to a bridge being out. This would be on the longer stretch if you are looking at a map and is also the stretch with the state forest of the same name.

Best of luck and happy tagging
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #2569
jontow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
ssevy: Wow.. you were so ridiculously close.

Btw: nice bike! I've become quite familiar with the Stewarts in Indian Lake this summer.. Was riding back and forth to Troy for a few weeks.

Sounds like you didn't put shame on you or your family: rode some road, seen some scene, that sort of thing. Good show
jontow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #2570
NHTOTEROAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
seevy: You were on the wrong side of the reservoir. I believe the Blake boat launch is just about the location where the flooded road (the dirt road by the cemetary sign) would have come out on the other side.
NHTOTEROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #2571
operose
Mama tried

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTOTEROAD View Post
seevy: You were on the wrong side of the reservoir. I believe the Blake boat launch is just about the location where the flooded road (the dirt road by the cemetary sign) would have come out on the other side.

Yep, must have taken a left onto Raquette River Rd. after the Stark cemetary rather than staying straight on Stark Rd. in order to get to a public boat launch onto Blake Res.

Still a really great area to ride, and I'm glad I held off on posting the tag or he might not have made the trip :) Came up behind a Camaro that had been at the Parishville gas station at the same time I was, on the White Hill side of Stark Rd. and once he noticed that I'd caught up we made a very "spirited" run of it until I dropped off to grab the tag.

Highly recommended if you are ever in the area
Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #2572
operose
Mama tried

Cry Hello

Is there anybody out there?

Do you want me to move this somewhere else?? Did I break the rules somehow?

Perhaps life has caught up with you all as well... Just let me know what you think.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #2573
pit0rz
Off on a bimble...

I wouldn't get too excited yet. These tags do sit for a while sometimes but they will eventually get moved.

If you need any other riding destination ideas there's probably ten other TOR games you can follow!

take the long way home
Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #2574
pit0rz
Off on a bimble...

If ya want to resurrect a long dead / stranded tag, look no further!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488389

take the long way home
Old 08-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #2575
operose
Mama tried

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit0rz View Post
If ya want to resurrect a long dead / stranded tag, look no further!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488389
Ok I will take a chill pill and relax for a while. People are busy I got ya :)
Old 09-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #2576
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Another midnight ride

Beautiful evening to ride. I left Queensbury at 3 PM, and just arrived home at 2:15 AM. 7 counties and 416 miles later, and I grabbed two tags (thanks pitOrz for reminding us about the DEC tag).

Here's the money shot:

I had a really creepy thing happen when grabbing this. Since County Rt. 27 had fresh oil and loose gravel, I was being cautious. About a mile after the chip sealing ended, I saw this woman standing in the edge of the woods in the middle of nowhere. No car, no lights, no houses, no nothing. I continued on and got the tag, and on the way south the woman now had a tall man with her, and they were both just standing in the bushes and staring at the road. For a moment I thought I had stumbled into an X-Files episode! Creepy as shit I tell you!

Here's the new shot:

Wildlife count for tonight:
4 does
one opossum
two coyotes ran in front of me, one near the top of Indian Lake Hill, and the second on the Northway
(two zombies on Rt. 27)

This was the first time I had ridden route 3 from Plattsburg to Saranac Lake. Talk about the middle of nowhere. Well, Star Lake is pretty desolate too I guess. Degrasse wasn't booming tonight either. I plan to return to that part of south Plattsburg to try all of the hot dog places.

I highly recommend some serious night riding for those of you who haven't tried it. No traffic, very peaceful, temps are great, and the miles just pass by smoothly. The only two concerns are wildlife and finding fuel after hours, but both of these can be addressed with a conservative throttle hand and some careful planning.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #2577
pit0rz
Off on a bimble...

Nice grabs! How are ya liking that Tiger?
I have to admit I like to ride at night too, very peaceful. I like riding in the rain as well, but I don't like riding in the rain at night!

take the long way home
Old 09-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #2578
Penmeister
Portabella

Oddometer: 137
The man and woman were staring at the road because they couldn't believe they saw a motorcycle go by in the middle of the night disturbing their peace and quiet! Adirondack nightlife, not what you'd expect!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #2579
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit0rz View Post
Nice grabs! How are ya liking that Tiger?
I have to admit I like to ride at night too, very peaceful. I like riding in the rain as well, but I don't like riding in the rain at night!
I have always loved the looks of the steamer since I first saw one. The triple engine is the same as in my Legend, and it is an awesome lump. Having finally found one, a test ride confirmed that it was exactly what I wanted. Since I do all of my own wrenching, having two triples in the garage makes for an easier maintenance schedule, and now having done some mods and some long miles, I am completely smitten. This will be my last bike, and I plan to ride it cross country soon. Couldn't be happier!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #2580
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,761
Did you ride old 99 by Loon Lake? It's a great GS (Steamer) road on the way to Mountainside/Owls Head.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote