User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #1456
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,852
Hah, You & Schmiddty are (in)famous

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #1457
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Hah, You & Schmiddty are (in)famous
It's ok I know people will forget about it soon. Thank God Nordies video didn't work

Went for a quick ride the other day with Princess Cobra on the back. It rides a lot nicer after doing the valves & balancing the carbs at 3000K RPM. The vibration I experienced at around 4K wasn't there much. I still need a final drive breather if anyone is putting a motorworx order in. Last time they charged me $20 postage for 6 shims.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:02 AM   #1458
Padmei OP
enamoured

washing the dinner dishes

I bought an internet type TV a few months ago. Since then I have worked out how to run it thru my sound system.

What this means is when it is time to wash & dry the dinner dishes, instead of buggering around with mp 3 players, cds, etc, I flick onto youtube & play a couple of classic songs that have somehow swung into my brain during the day.

You know how it goes - something reminds you of a time & place & there is often a soundtrack that accompanies it with a specific song that swirls & whirls till yo have to hear it again.

Tonight it was this.

It's almost an injustice to its' holy reverence that I should share it - remember the scene in Waynes world where he began to play it on a guitar & the sales guy stopped him. Anyway we need to be reminded in these busy times just what is truly important in the world.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #1459
Padmei OP
enamoured

I saw one of these made on youtube & thought it would be cool to make one but I had too many projects on the go then the kids came home & said they needed to do something for the science fair. We all got together & made a hovercraft.
It is a bit of fun & the kids did really well making it.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #1460
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 6,999
Kids. Let them loose on Schmidty and see what they can do...
Old 08-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #1461
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Kids. Let them loose on Schmidty and see what they can do...
they would at least keep it on the track
Old 08-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #1462
Padmei OP
enamoured

I just showed them the Russian hovercraft landing on the beach.
Our one actually hovered over the water but we weren't confident to have anyone sitting on it in case it turned upside down.

Can you tell it was made by an electricians kids?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #1463
ztaj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Whats the blower from ? I reakon I could knok up another and we could have races

Infact..... we could get a whole fleet together and have a N.A.D.S. Hoverout (?)

*scurries off to scan trademe*
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:29 AM   #1464
Padmei OP
enamoured

It is a leaf blower. I'm going to get the girls to make a short slideshow movie on how they made it when they have less on their plate.\
Unfortunately the one we made only hovers & requires a push to travel. Kinda like a bumper boat - spinning etc or swing around like a ski biscuit. I ave seen one where they put a blade on a razor skateboard electric motor to propel them.

Next task is to make up a suit of bubble wrap for whoever at school wants to have a turn - after I email the principal to see if it is ok to bring something motorised to school. I seem to have the same reputation at my kids school now as I did at my own one when I was a kid
Old 08-27-2013, 02:25 AM   #1465
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Terriffic, is that a bit of TPS holding the motor down?
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #1466
Padmei OP
enamoured

Just back from a great ride over the Maungatapu with Woodman. Gave Schmidt bit of a workout & loved it.

When we arrived a knarly old bow legged character wandered over reminiscent of the stereotypical old cow hand from a western movie. He had a looksie around my bike & we passed a few minutes chatting about it & old BMWs generally before pointing over to his one. He had a 84 G/S PD. It had a red single seat & rack with old plastic panniers.
We mosied on over & had a look at his. He had just got it back from Kane where he had replaced the thou twin sparked head with a 800head with new valves, seats & guides. He had also swapped the 40s for a couple of 32s. He was more than impressed with the power it puts out.

Of course I had to sit on it & start it up. What a lovely sound- & there was no vibration, valve or timing chain noise. The seat height was normal height which feels quite low for me & it felt like a comfy old armchair.

I looked at the dash with wristwatch strapped to the bars, turnbuckle to hold the screen in place & a warm feeling of optimism fell upon me. This was no HPN Gletter accessorised garage queen, it was a bike that had seen many miles, could tell a few tales & completely fitted its' 70+year owner. He intended continuing riding it for a long time even tho he confessed that he wasn't up to trail riding anymore.

We bade farewells & headed to the cafe for a long black where I counselled Woodman on the joys of airhead ownership. I reckon he'll have one with in a year.

I rode back over the Maungatapu to Nelson watching Woodman hang his arse out round the corners & felt very connected to my own lil airhead
Old 09-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #1467
Padmei OP
enamoured

Anyway onto more practical issues. I have a whirring whine which is bloody annoying. Trouble is it is hard to pin point where. About 5K I hear it reasonably loudly yet when I pull in the clutch it disappears. If I rev the engine with the clutch in it's not there nor is is there if pull the clutch in on a downhill.

I think it must be when the engine load hits the driveline. I know the UJ on the driveshaft isn't good but this sounds more like a bearing.

I also have pretty loud timing chain rattle. i have replaced everything in there apart from the cam sprocket. The tensioner seemed to have pretty good spring tension on it.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:39 AM   #1468
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,852
Wear earplugs. I do. Diagnosing every little whir & clunk gets expensive, & doesn't add appreciably to reliability. Vibrations however...

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:30 AM   #1469
paulotex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I have a whirring whine which is bloody annoying. About 5K I hear it reasonably loudly yet when I pull in the clutch it disappears.
My experience is with a 1974 R90S, so take this with a grain of slat, but the last time I had a similar problem, it was simply the throwout bearings on the clutch shaft (#4 on this pic:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...71&hg=21&fg=51).

It sounded as if hamsters were arguing inside the engine :)
paulotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #1470
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulotex View Post
My experience is with a 1974 R90S, so take this with a grain of slat, but the last time I had a similar problem, it was simply the throwout bearings on the clutch shaft (#4 on this pic:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...71&hg=21&fg=51).

It sounded as if hamsters were arguing inside the engine :)
That, my friend, is something I didn't consider. Being a newer model however, it has the all in one plastic piston & I don't believe it rotates. Ola & obrigada

You're right Woodman, earplugs relieves one of a great deal of unnecessary worry. It has been getting louder lately & was the the same noise that led me to believe the gearbox needed attention.

Maybe I should fashion up some kind of stationery bike stand with a rotating mass under the rear wheel upon which the back wheel can spin & I can stand beside it listening to locate the area the whir has come from. In fact if I did it right I could hook it up to my laptop & potentially work out the torque & HP curves & read the air/fuel mixture. Hmmm wonder why noone has thought of that before.