User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
vmaxaust OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Riding Europe in April/May/June

Need some advice on riding Europe around April, May and June. The areas I need to see are...
1) The Lublin region of Poland specifically Parczew.
2) Want to go to Auschwitz in Poland.
3) What used to be Stanislawow in Poland but is now Ivano Frankov I believe in the Ukraine.
4) Normandy beaches in France.

Obviously I would cover many other areas but these are family history regions so they are important. The plan is to leave Western Europe to go to England and then on to the Isle Of Man TT or I could do it in reverse with the TT first and then Europe.

Any suggestions from locals on routes through good bike roads (not the big cities wherever possible) would be appreciated. Any locals wanting to accompany me to any of the areas along the way would be appreciated. Local knowledge is always the best help.
No plans are made at this point so starting point is open. Would most likely have my bike (from Australia) shipped to England, France, Italy, Germany, Slovenia with many other options available to me.

Whatever suits the final plan is what I will organise.

Sam
Melbourne, Australia
vmaxaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
Paul_M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
If you're passing through Antwerp,Belgium, We'd be happy to provide you with a place to stay, bikes included.

Have a safe trip!

Regards,

Paul
Paul_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
vmaxaust OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_M View Post
If you're passing through Antwerp,Belgium, We'd be happy to provide you with a place to stay, bikes included.

Have a safe trip!

Regards,

Paul
That is very kind of you Paul considering you don't know me at all. At the moment I'm in the planning stages of this journey but will keep in touch as the plans come together. Antwerp can easily be incorporated and I would not impose more than absolutely necessary.

Sam
Old 08-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,897
Dont forget to visit Ireland. Free camping here for ADV riders if you bring a sticker with your handle on it.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
ShinyRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Cool2 Hi!

If you need any help in europe, send me a PM.
I live in Germany, close to the Netherlands.

Driving in Poland is a lot of fun if you like holes in roads and offroad passages

Since 04.2013: Honda Transalp PD10
Since 02.2014: Beta Alp 200
ShinyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
vmaxaust OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
Dont forget to visit Ireland. Free camping here for ADV riders if you bring a sticker with your handle on it.
May or may not happen this time. Thanks for the advice.

Sam
Old 08-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #7
vmaxaust OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyRider View Post
If you need any help in europe, send me a PM.
I live in Germany, close to the Netherlands.

Driving in Poland is a lot of fun if you like holes in roads and offroad passages
Looks like I will be right at home in Poland. We have some fantastic roads in Australia but also some terrible ones like you have described Poland.

Appreciate any assistance, will send you a private message.

thankyou
Sam
Old 08-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #8
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
hey there,
i´ve been to ivano frankivsk a few times, never on the bike, i used to work there for a friend on his farm.
strange country, i don´t know why you wanna visit that city, are there any sights that i may have missed? as i said, i was working there and had no time to explore much, but working on a farm i drove on many nice dirt and gravel roads. plenty in the area, and the carpathian mountains are just around the corner.
the city itself, well it has the typical charme of an eastern european city. i liked it. if you find the time, go and sit in a coffee in the center of town and watch the girls go by. stunning.

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
vmaxaust OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppo View Post
hey there,
i´ve been to ivano frankivsk a few times, never on the bike, i used to work there for a friend on his farm.
strange country, i don´t know why you wanna visit that city, are there any sights that i may have missed? as i said, i was working there and had no time to explore much, but working on a farm i drove on many nice dirt and gravel roads. plenty in the area, and the carpathian mountains are just around the corner.
the city itself, well it has the typical charme of an eastern european city. i liked it. if you find the time, go and sit in a coffee in the center of town and watch the girls go by. stunning.
Thanks for the reply. The only reason I'm considering going to Ivano is because my father was born there. He escaped to Russia when the war broke out. He and his sister escaped together and survived. After the war they migrated to Australia.

I'm not really interested in seeing the sights there and the only real reason to go there would be if I can get hold of local Government records about his family...if those records still exist?

My visit to Parczew in Poland on the other hand is a little more specific. I actually have a street number and address where my mother spent the first 13 years of her life till she was shipped out to a concentration camp. I just want to see her home once and will probably never go back there again. Same applies to my father's home area although without any real detail it's probably pointless. I suppose I'm just curious.

The visits to these areas are not about enjoyment unfortunately. They are about seeing where my ancestors lived for 100's of years till the events of the war brought an end to that era.

The rest of my journey in Europe is about riding some great roads and seeing a part of the world I've never seen. I'm not into tourist stuff like the Eiffel Tower or other landmark sights but I like going through the smaller cities, villages and backroads surrounded by beautiful country. I'm sure there are plenty of those in many parts of Europe I will cover.

Sam
Old 08-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #10
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

ok, that makes sense, knowing where you came from is important.
i still have a contact in ivano frankivsk, he worked for the farm and did alot of the bureaucracy back then. he might be able to help you, but like everything in the ukraine, it will cost money. may it be fees or just the usual bribe...

Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
vmaxaust OP
Adventurer

Quote:
ok, that makes sense, knowing where you came from is important.
i still have a contact in ivano frankivsk, he worked for the farm and did alot of the bureaucracy back then. he might be able to help you, but like everything in the ukraine, it will cost money. may it be fees or just the usual bribe...
Happy to pay the right person or people for the right assistance. Knowing I may be able to actually find some documentation or information about my fathers family would be the only reason I would go there.

Sam
Old 08-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #12
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

i will send him a mail and ask him if he knows anything about it.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:21 AM   #13
vmaxaust OP
Adventurer

Quote:
i will send him a mail and ask him if he knows anything about it.
Much appreciated.

Sam