Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #151
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Great pictures as always, Dave (not to mean "as always" implies "not special"). I didn't realize you still have your VStrom as well as your ST. Any particular reason you choose one to ride over the other?

-dman ... WeeStrom owner, always intrigued by the SuperTenere
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #152
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Dave, you and I see things very much the same way- would be great to ride together. We're just around the corner from each other as well.

I was thinking of heading up to Leavitt Lake this weekend. Wanna come and teach me some tricks? Ordering an intervalometer as I type this...
I'll be looking for trouble in other places this weekend, otherwise I might take you up on that. I've done some photography at Leavitt Lake, but still haven't got the "one". One of my favorite perspectives so far...and you can't even SEE the lake

Intervalometer?? Seems you are planning to get really creative, we expect to see some results

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMur View Post
I spend the last 24 years moving all around the US and knew I would be back here someday.

I am sure we will pass each other on the road someday.
That's what keeps ME here, been around a little and tons of great stuff to see, but still love my backyard the best.

Maybe we already have passed each other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Great pictures as always, Dave (not to mean "as always" implies "not special"). I didn't realize you still have your VStrom as well as your ST. Any particular reason you choose one to ride over the other?

-dman ... WeeStrom owner, always intrigued by the SuperTenere
I get asked that a lot, usually followed by the statement that they both cover a lot of the same ground. And my answer is YES they do cover a lot of the same territory....and that happens to be a place I really like!!

My garage isn't as diverse these days. No need for sportbikes as I'm done with the track. The jury is still out on hardcore single track, but right now I don't need a "real" dirtbike. Seems these adventure bikes really fit what I do, as you can see in this thread. So having two bikes that I'd throw a leg over and ride 1000 miles on a whim is at the very least a good backup (who knows, you could crack your oil pan near Tahoe and wait weeks for parts )

Truth is as much as I think the Tenere is better for me, there are still things I like about the Strom better. The Yamaha is a bit more dirty, where the strom feels a little more like a canyon chaser, but they are both just left and right of center. Not to mention if I don't ride one for awhile, just being on something different is fun just because it's different. Kind of like that new bike thing.

That and for the money I could sell her for I'd rather keep it. At least until I find a sport/adventure tour bike that gets me really excited. Waiting to see what the '14 strom brings us, and I still have to test an Explorer. Even looked sideways at the KTM touring motard or whatever they call it. As soon as something makes me need it, the strom will be gone.

Looking back at my years of riding, I've spent so much time thinking the next bike will make everything perfect. At the moment I've got a garage of bikes that I really like and am content with. I'm often thankful for being this lucky.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #153
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,520
Nice group of pics Dave!
Thanks

Hey LTS, I just realized I have one of those on my GS , the more I twist the handle, the IVmeter does its thing. Next time someone has a bike problem I can ask if they checked their IVmeter
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #154
jazzer
Lost again... Yeah!

Oddometer: 200
Awesome pictures Dave! I'd love it if you will mark up a map for me sometime so that I could find some of those spots.

Ken
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #155
The_Scottsman
There's Beer here??

Oddometer: 102
Thumb

Your writing and photos are simply top-notch, Dave!

Ego reperio vestri fedei defectus turbare.
The_Scottsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #156
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzer View Post
Awesome pictures Dave! I'd love it if you will mark up a map for me sometime so that I could find some of those spots.

Of course Ken. See some spots suited for a travel guitar?

Old 08-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #157
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Scottsman View Post
Your writing and photos are simply top-notch, Dave!

Thanks man...enjoy the show!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #158
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Great shots as always Dave... the nighttime shots in particular.... very cool.

If you don't mind revealing, what was that tasty looking dirt road you were riding in Nevada????

Brian

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #159
jazzer
Lost again... Yeah!

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Of course Ken. See some spots suited for a travel guitar?
Or two!
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #160
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,640
I see we've travelled many of same roads, but somehow they never look as good as your photos. Well, done!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #161
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,260
Good to see you yesterday, Dave. I still want to get together and learn some of your tricks for some of the shots. Sorry I couldn't hang out longer- I was still late for dinner after Alice's.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #162
Varkenjaab
Middle Age Crisis

Oddometer: 17
Thank you

This thread has some of the best travel photography I've seen. Congratulations. I don't know what training/courses you've done but the shots are brilliant and worthy of commercial use.

I'm a simple Aussie who is coming to the PNW in October to ride some of your beautiful area (me on a V Strom, my mate on a GS1150) and we are REAALLLYY looking forward to it!

This thread just makes me want to get there quicker and stay longer (than the 3 weeks we'll have).

Thanks heaps. Inspiring work.

Cheers,

Geoff
Varkenjaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #163
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I see we've travelled many of same roads, but somehow they never look as good as your photos. Well, done!
....I'm sure the roads look the same while we are there , glad the photos spark a memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Good to see you yesterday, Dave. I still want to get together and learn some of your tricks for some of the shots. Sorry I couldn't hang out longer- I was still late for dinner after Alice's.
You missed it, all of the hot motorcycle chicks in bikinis rolled in right after you left!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varkenjaab View Post
This thread has some of the best travel photography I've seen. Congratulations. I don't know what training/courses you've done but the shots are brilliant and worthy of commercial use.

I'm a simple Aussie who is coming to the PNW in October to ride some of your beautiful area (me on a V Strom, my mate on a GS1150) and we are REAALLLYY looking forward to it!

This thread just makes me want to get there quicker and stay longer (than the 3 weeks we'll have).

Thanks heaps. Inspiring work.

Cheers,

Geoff

Glad you're diggin it! If the thread inspires you to ride it must be working as I'm just trying to share my enthusiasm for my backyard. Hit me up with a PM if you'd like any specific info on some of these areas so you can check them out for yourself.

As for my photo "training" it was 8 months of unemployment in 2009, and a desire to not waste the time without bettering myself. So I pursued something I was always interested in but never had the time.....and all for free, the internet is full of all the info you need.

Thanks for the kind words, really, it is nice to know when someone "gets" something out of what I'm trying to share.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #164
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Pro quality pics-thanks for posting them.Since I live in Modesto I like to ride up on Sonora Pass.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #165
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 867
Stunning Dave!! I'm going to be doing a tour of 12 or so Western states in a month, california is one place I'll spend a lot of time, and this thread has given me so many great area to explore. I love to photograph as well and I think I'll be draining batteries daily lol. Thanks for doing this!!
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote