ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #61861
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Oddometer: 13,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
perhaps not, but at least I wont be there to spoil your ride with my less than perfect bike
Hope you'll be okay. Take it from Mr back issues himself. They can ruin you desire to ride.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #61862
mmoore415
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
CAMPOUT!!!!!

Ok, guys, let's shoot for Sept.13-14 for a campout at 15483 Charleston Pike, Kingston, Ohio. This is two miles north of the north entrance to Tar Hollow State Park.

We got plenty of places to throw a tent, pull in your camper, and park your trucks, trailers, whatever. Prolly got some floor space also.

We got electric, bathrooms, water.
We got two gas grills, refrigerator, ice chests.
Table, chairs, prolly some hay bales for sittin'.

Figuring on hamburgers and hot dogs in the evening, eggs and sausage in the morning.
I'll try to have plenty of tea and water, and milk and orange juice. I'll try to get the wife to make up some pasta salad and ?

Laurelville is five miles away, grocery and gas is open til 8pm. I'll check to see how extensive their beer selection is.

I've got tools, air compressor and garage space for repairs and maintenance.

We've got dirt, gravel, and twisty pavement.
Hopefully, some of you guys with good gps dirt tracks can lead some of the dirt rides. ( Luke? Mike5000? who else? )

Anyway, post up if you're coming so I can figure out supplies.
We'll get a list going.

Looking forward to seeing and riding with you guys!

P.S. In case of extreme weather, we'll shoot for a rain date of Sept.20-21

Mark
I'm in for this. Have to work Friday so will be a bit later when I get there.
mmoore415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #61863
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeVeL View Post
I'm looking into a set of water tight panniers to be able to carry shoes, but I'm also concerned with the fact that I have to dress "business casual" so I would need to have gear that could slip over and keep my dress clothes nice and dry.

Got any ideas?
The suit that keeps me bone dry in a torrential storm also makes me a sweaty mess when it is warm rain or the sun breaks through. On mornings like today, I'd rather wear my mesh jacket and jeans and deal with a bit of dampness from road spray for the first hour or so at work.

Keep a spare shirt and socks at the office, just in case. I should do that, but I keep forgetting.

Leave a pair of shoes at the office so you don't have to carry them back and forth all the time.

Find a good route if you can. Even if it adds 15 minutes, an enjoyable ride to and from work is so much better than fighting with traffic on straight, flat roads.

read the linked thread above and enjoy your ride
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #61864
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,885
Quote:
perhaps not, but at least I wont be there to spoil your ride with my less than perfect bike
Serendipitous.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #61865
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
So im starting a new job next month that is going to involve a commute. It will take me over an hour each way. I've had commutes before, just never one this large.

I'm thinking that I would like to try using my bike for some of the nicer days. I've just never commuted on a bike before. I'm looking for recommendations from anyone that has done it before. I'm looking into a set of water tight panniers to be able to carry shoes, but I'm also concerned with the fact that I have to dress "business casual" so I would need to have gear that could slip over and keep my dress clothes nice and dry.

Got any ideas?
When I worked for Muskingum U, I rode about once a week to work in the fall, summer and spring - 83 miles one way. I had the luxury of having a large locker, multiple changes of clothes, and a shower available; so I usually rode in with regular MC gear and brought nothing with me. I had some nice curvy routes in and home, but since I worked midnights, I was a deer dodging mother fucker.

The thing I found about longer distance commuting is that it is - frankly - a pain in the ass. You have to plan for different weather potential - an hour from home can see torrential rain at work with sunshine at the house, and an 8 or 10 hour work day can see a lot of temperature and weather changes. You have to leave earlier and you invariably will get home later. You have to factor in more frequent gas stops (more time) - especially with the pitifully short range of the S10! You won't be taking calls on the bike, or grabbing a fast snack, or enjoying coffee while riding in to work. As you know, storage space is at a premium and lugging extra clothes, or work stuff with you, can be awkward.

Having said that, it can be a lot of fun to commute on the bike, but I can't imagine it would be a lot of fun if you did it every day. Sometimes at the end of your day you just want to sink into your car seat and veg out for the drive home.

I suppose if I was wanting to commute, I'd get a good waterproof duffel type bag, and stow my work attire and shoes, and 2 pair of socks and underwear, in it; then just wear normal MC gear in and change in the bathroom. Alternatively, and probably more common, would be a top box which would be waterproof, secure, and easy to store your helmet and other gear in after you had arrived at work.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 08-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #61866
krumgrinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
The suit that keeps me bone dry in a torrential storm also makes me a sweaty mess when it is warm rain or the sun breaks through. On mornings like today, I'd rather wear my mesh jacket and jeans and deal with a bit of dampness from road spray for the first hour or so at work.

Keep a spare shirt and socks at the office, just in case. I should do that, but I keep forgetting.

Leave a pair of shoes at the office so you don't have to carry them back and forth all the time.

Find a good route if you can. Even if it adds 15 minutes, an enjoyable ride to and from work is so much better than fighting with traffic on straight, flat roads.

read the linked thread above and enjoy your ride

All very good advice above. I have been commuting to work every work day for more than eleven years now- except for days when the city won't clear the snow/ice from my sidestreet- and feel like I have a pretty good system worked out. These are just my suggestions, pick and choose what works for you- none of it is required, except for the last paragraph.

I used a tankbag (w/rain cover) on my Connie, which has now become a tailbag on my rack on my 990, to carry my laptop and other IT guy junk to/from work. Also always keep my rain gear in it (if I'm not using it) for afternoon weather surprises. When temps are variable spring/fall I keep my electric liner rolled up in there too for use under my mesh jacket as needed. I stuck a little Princeton Tec Cyclops LED light on the side of my helmet for early mornings/late afternoons during the darker months (very helpful also for nighttime map reading on tours.)

As for the bike, hard/lockable panniers are super helpful if you are going to commute regularly, you can keep a travel compressor and patch kit and other such junk in there, as well as pick up groceries or stuff on the way home. I keep a Beadrider on the seat in the warm months so my ass isn't stuck to my seat after being stuck in traffic, and a Alaska Leather sheepskin for the colder months, so my ass isn't stuck to my (frozen) seat in the morning. Heated grips are really nice for the cool mornings, too. Allow an extra 5-10 min gear-up time in the mornings until you get a routine down; it will seem like alot of extra fuss at first, but you will sort it out quickly if you stick to at least a semi-regular riding habit. I do use my armored jacket and riding boots, but skip the armored pants (just my pref, wear it all if it makes you more comfortable.) Loud horns are a definite plus as well, I'd suggest a pair of HF (cheap) Fiamm Highway Blasters or the Stebel Nautilus to do the trick of getting idiot cagers' attention.

Above all, be prepared to be patient, and take responsibility for your own safety. If you will be in heavy traffic, it will not be as fun as a weekend or evening ride. I don't believe other drivers are 'out to get me' or any such drivel- I stick to the Stayin' Safe mantra- 360 awareness, no surprises (anticipate) and put the bike where they can't hurt you. Even with all this, I much prefer to ride every day than drive- just don't like the isolated feeling I get in cars, I guess. And let's face it, a car will never be as much fun as a bike. Anytime. Ever.
2002 Concours (sold)
krumgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #61867
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 22,988
Quote:
Oh don't be so whiney just call Mark a cunt and be done with it. Works for me

PS sorry to hear about your back

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer

dragoon screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 02:29 PM
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #61868
LeVeL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I'm probably only going to commute there on the bike a couple of days of the week. Just to break up the monotony of the drive. And that may allow me to pick and choose the weather I want to ride in. The place I'm going to work at is in Wadsworth, and I live in Zanesville. The pay is pretty good and I think I'm going to enjoy working for ECS Tuning, otherwise I wouldn't consider such a long commute.
LeVeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #61869
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by krumgrinder View Post
Thanks for the great suggestions guys, I will be working them in for sure. Fred's sounds great; really like Bourdain's picks. Yeah, after Cimarron and the mountains my goal is just to stay off of the interstates. Seriously though, I'll be in good stuff, both paved and un-, for at least five days (and very possibly six) so not going to complain about a couple days of flat & straight. Hell, I might even be ready for it.
If you end up in arkansas eat at the Ozark cafe in jasper. It was amazing and fairly cheap.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #61870
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Bike Commuting

I do about three days a week. I haven't been moto commuting near as long as some people but do have a few comments. Take what you want and discard the rest....

I find getting into a routine important to my desire to ride. I don't like wondering if I forgot something, etc... as I'm heading in, or getting to work and realizing I didn't bring my work shoes or something else.

The biggest help for me on my new (to me) RS1100 is the hard bags. I've never had them before and it completely transformed my desire to commute. I can get off the bike at work, throw my jackets and Darien pants in the side bags and walk in with a small backpack (shoes, socks, lunch, glasses) and my helmet. As soon as I get a top box mounted I'm walking in with nothing but my small backpack. That will be great. The utility afforded by hard bags is something I probably won't ever want to do without again on at least one bike.

This next thing won't be agreed on by some... I bought a UClear Bluetooth headset for my helmet and listen to the radio on the way in through my phone. I added a powerlet connector to plug in my phone and run iheartradio or tunein and listen to the news on the way in. Also, I wear earplugs always and the UClear is mechanized in a way that I can mute it in an instant if I need to (like when I go through the gate at Wright Patt). Having that option makes commuting all the more "normal" or acceptable for me.

The Darien pants I mentioned are great. They are very easy on and off and don't get that hot on my short ride. Once I stop I can be off and walking in the door in less than three minutes. For me all the things I've mentioned add up to making it less of a hassle to get on the bike. RIding is always awesome, but if it's a pain in the butt to do for work I used to always opt for no. Now that I can store most of my stuff on the bike, and it's fast to boot I'm more inclined to stop at the store on the way home to run errands, etc... than ever before. I commute MUCH more now,

Quote:
I'm probably only going to commute there on the bike a couple of days of the week. Just to break up the monotony of the drive. And that may allow me to pick and choose the weather I want to ride in. The place I'm going to work at is in Wadsworth, and I live in Zanesville. The pay is pretty good and I think I'm going to enjoy working for ECS Tuning, otherwise I wouldn't consider such a long commute.
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #61871
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
CAMPOUT!!!!!

Ok, guys, let's shoot for Sept.13-14 for a campout at 15483 Charleston Pike, Kingston, Ohio. This is two miles north of the north entrance to Tar Hollow State Park.

We got plenty of places to throw a tent, pull in your camper, and park your trucks, trailers, whatever. Prolly got some floor space also.

We got electric, bathrooms, water.
We got two gas grills, refrigerator, ice chests.
Table, chairs, prolly some hay bales for sittin'.

Figuring on hamburgers and hot dogs in the evening, eggs and sausage in the morning.
I'll try to have plenty of tea and water, and milk and orange juice. I'll try to get the wife to make up some pasta salad and ?

Laurelville is five miles away, grocery and gas is open til 8pm. I'll check to see how extensive their beer selection is.

I've got tools, air compressor and garage space for repairs and maintenance.

We've got dirt, gravel, and twisty pavement.
Hopefully, some of you guys with good gps dirt tracks can lead some of the dirt rides. ( Luke? Mike5000? who else? )

Anyway, post up if you're coming so I can figure out supplies.
We'll get a list going.

Looking forward to seeing and riding with you guys!

P.S. In case of extreme weather, we'll shoot for a rain date of Sept.20-21

Mark

OK!

So far, we have....

mmoore 415
jrockrat
oceanbum (rod,his friend)
bikeneil
jimmy ( my buddy)
me
Benly
SlipChip
RickG
mic detonator
steveb126
BigOhio
sion
mpenner
drifter136
OK, official list is started, let's add to it.

bikeridermark screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 05:15 PM
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #61872
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Steve Mauk, who really should be on here but never is, called me tonight and said he is selling his pretty damn nice 2001 green KLR650. $2,000. Unsure of mileage, but it has a bunch of nice aftermarket mods and is in great shape. Highlights as I recall them: new tires (unsure type or brand), centerstand, heated grips, Progressive springs in forks, braided brake lines, LED "X" taillight, large luggage rack.

I can put you in touch with him if anyone is interested. I don't think he will negotiate.

I looked for a photo of it but don't have one already uploaded.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 08-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #61873
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
OK!

So far, we have....

mmoore 415
jrockrat
oceanbum (rod,his friend)
bikeneil
jimmy ( my buddy)
me

OK, official list is started, let's add to it.
Don't think I can make it for the Friday night camping, but I should be able to meet up with everyone on Saturday morning.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #61874
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benly View Post
Don't think I can make it for the Friday night camping, but I should be able to meet up with everyone on Saturday morning.
You're in!
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #61875
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 2,858
Quote:
you'll be happy to know that I wrenched something in my back yesterday and am in great pain, so it looks like no riding for me for a while.
So your Maine trip is off? :( How's the wife foot after surgery?
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote