Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #106
fldigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
My first aid kit is a two shots of Bombay Saphire and a packet of Trojans. Saved my life on several (well, at least one) occasions

2012 K1600GTL - Silver, 2011 Concours 14 - Silver.
fldigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #107
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,372
I carry this.

CAT tourniquet, gauze, Israeli bandage, needle decompression thingy, nasal pharangeal thingy and some more stuff. I might suck at the names but I know how to and have used the things a number of times on deployment. Worked well there so it should work on the asphalt, right?

I keep it in my pack on rides. The pouch is actually a "leg rig" so you can get an idea of the size.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #108
purplepeopleeater
The Official VW Nut

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
I carry this.

CAT tourniquet, gauze, Israeli bandage, needle decompression thingy, nasal pharangeal thingy and some more stuff. I might suck at the names but I know how to and have used the things a number of times on deployment. Worked well there so it should work on the asphalt, right?

I keep it in my pack on rides. The pouch is actually a "leg rig" so you can get an idea of the size.

where'd ya get that?
purplepeopleeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #109
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,372
The Army. They just give shit out sometimes :P

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #110
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
I carry this.

Other than the gauze and Israeli, you can chunk the rest of that stuff. Replace with eye drops, more gauze, Motrin, band-aids, and 2" tape. The chances of you having to do a NCD or NPA is so rare that its a waste of space to even carry them. The MOI for motorcycle injuries are vastly different than those during a deployment.

And for the record, you can get in a shit ton of trouble for doing a NCD in the civilian world if you are not a EMT-P. More often than not a NCD does more harm than good when done by a non-medical professional.

~ Doc

Jnich77 screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 08:57 PM
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #111
Skred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Get some training ...

Really, get some training so you know how to perform first aid.

If you have time, get certified as an Emergency Medical Responder. If I could, I would require Emergency Medical Responder certification for high school graduation. Well worth the time and money. It teaches techniques and procedures. Importantly, it teaches you how to talk the talk.

I have treated few life-threatening conditions in 30 years of being a first responder/EMR including an allergic reaction to a bee sting, a Soldier who fell out of a 7-ton truck onto his head, several cases of pneumonia and a heart attack. Not a lot, but it counted for somebody.

The standards of care are different for military and civilian worlds and from state to state. While the Good Samaritan Laws will protect you, knowing what you can and cannot do can keep you out of court. What I could do as a Combat Lifesaver is called assault in California. Rehearsal helps - A LOT. I have a First Aid kit for treating the small number of injuries that come my way but nothing beats proper training training.

The American Red Cross has some classes and the FEMA website for online training has some good courses that will help, especially when calling for assistance and passing information. Use of a common lexicon and plain English is one of the things that came out for the response to 9-11. The FEMA courses will teach you some of that.

Supplies are pretty basic. 4x4's and Kerlix, PPE, tape, 4" and 6" ACE bandages, blood pressure cuff and stethoscope, TQ's and some other other stuff I learned to pack from experience. Also a urinal. A patient may be badly hurt, but soiling themselves can be even more upsetting than being hurt. Setting up wound kits in baggies helped a lot. I labeled them with sharpies so that if I told someone to "Get the wound packet," they would know what to hand me. KISS. The IFAK on my motorcycle is about the size of a canteen. I need to get a new NPA NCD kit in case I need one for myself.

Your communications plan is almost more important than your kit or training.

As a First Responder/EMR being able to contact help is critical. It doesn't take much to get the whole world to show up to help. Do some telephone book research and make a few phone calls to the PD to make sure you have your area programmed into your plan. Find out if they use a certain map and keep one handy. Our county uses the Thomson Guide. Most public service departments do.

As an example, I ordered a medevac helicopter, three ambulances and every fire truck in town with the phrase " ... you might need a helicopter, it's a big wreck." when reporting on an accident I witnessed.

Books that help:

"Ditch Medicine" available online at SCRIBD.com

Any certified EMR textbook that you would use in a class published in the last five years. Look up the course catalog at your local college to see what is being schooled in your area. You'll find them at the library, too.

Make a checklist - cuz at when shit happens @ 0316 on day 17 of a 21 day/12 hours a day shift, your brain doesn't work. It doesn't have to be fancy. I wrote mine on a stack of spiral bound flashcards.

FM 21-11, First Aid for Soldiers

The Boy Scout merit badge for First Aid book ( Really. The basics of first aid I learned in 1974 still apply )

The American Red Cross First Aid Handbook
Skred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #112
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 157
Excellent lists for first aid kits, and an excellent discussion taking place here. The fact that this is not discussed more is a shame. Many folks just want to bury their head in the sand when it comes to the idea that bad things can happen.

I was asked by a BMW club to give a presentation on the topic of what to do after an accident. I wrote an article to supplement the presentation. The short version was passed out at that presentation and the long version was posted to their website. Those articles are probably appropriate for this discussion, but too long to place as a post.

Here is a link to the short version:
http://dirtmedic.wordpress.com/2013/...short-version/

And a link to the longer, more detailed version
http://dirtmedic.wordpress.com/2013/...-the-accident/

To the pros on this thread, critique through the comment section on the blog would be appreciated as I will probably be using this article for other presentations.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #113
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
Other than the gauze and Israeli, you can chunk the rest of that stuff. Replace with eye drops, more gauze, Motrin, band-aids, and 2" tape. The chances of you having to do a NCD or NPA is so rare that its a waste of space to even carry them. The MOI for motorcycle injuries are vastly different than those during a deployment.

And for the record, you can get in a shit ton of trouble for doing a NCD in the civilian world if you are not a EMT-P. More often than not a NCD does more harm than good when done by a non-medical professional.

~ Doc
What he said. Put the needle down and step away
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote