ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 174 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #9301
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Again, use a relay.
How on earth will a relay help?
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #9302
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 667

Press here.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #9303
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post

Press here.
Doh!
Callahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #9304
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
How on earth will a relay help?
It never occurred to me you were referring to the Montana battery running empty because you were to absent minded to remember to turn it off.

I have seen some pretty silly complaints about the Montana, but this one takes the cake!

I suggest this solution:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post

Press here.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #9305
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I suggest this solution:
It has a power button? I knew there were helpful people here!

It's happened to me quite a few times. In the few months of I've owned the unit I'll bet it's happened around ten times. I've tossed new sets of alkalines and I'm certain it's hard on the Li. Some of it probably has to do with the long start up times. This is not a unit that lends itself to powering on and off frequently for intermittent use. Even without a lot of BirdsEye it takes mine ~45secs to power up. Load it up with a lot BirdsEye and maps and we're talking minutes.

I dunno. All of my two-way radios have this feature and it helps a lot to make sure the radio will power up when needed and saves batteries. And unlike floptana they don't take any time at all to power up. It would cost nearly $0 to incorporate, just a simple setting, a timer and a warning screen. Granted, ADVriders are primarily vehicle powered users. I'm guessing this is a much more common problem among handheld users than you all might think.

I'm pretty sure I could rant about some of the less silly problems with the unit if that's what you all would prefer...
Old 08-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #9306
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Excellent! Make sure you have Map Speed = Fast for those tests!
Check!
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #9307
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
I just wish I could get this darn thing to store a database of odours. Then it would be perfect.

;)
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #9308
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
There has been a problem with the screen protector shrinking on expanding in the heat.
Thanks for the info. It does have a screen protector. I guess that's coming off.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #9309
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,021
Quote:
It has a power button? I knew there were helpful people here!

It's happened to me quite a few times. In the few months of I've owned the unit I'll bet it's happened around ten times. I've tossed new sets of alkalines and I'm certain it's hard on the Li. Some of it probably has to do with the long start up times. This is not a unit that lends itself to powering on and off frequently for intermittent use. Even without a lot of BirdsEye it takes mine ~45secs to power up. Load it up with a lot BirdsEye and maps and we're talking minutes.

I dunno. All of my two-way radios have this feature and it helps a lot to make sure the radio will power up when needed and saves batteries. And unlike floptana they don't take any time at all to power up. It would cost nearly $0 to incorporate, just a simple setting, a timer and a warning screen. Granted, ADVriders are primarily vehicle powered users. I'm guessing this is a much more common problem among handheld users than you all might think.

I'm pretty sure I could rant about some of the less silly problems with the unit if that's what you all would prefer...
Your comparison to your radio's is relevant with respect to the battery issue. But, you should have stopped there. Your radio isn't trying to read into active memory gigabytes of data (your maps & BirdEye Imagery) when you push the power button. If you don't change that Map data between Power Down/Up cycles it shouldn't take so long to boot up.

Least you think ADVrider's are the prime market for the Montana, guess again. We are so overshadowed by the Geocachers and "other" users, we should feel lucky that we get any of our Feature Requests addressed. If the "other" users of the Montana wanted to be saved from themselves there would certainly be the code you are looking for.

Oh, feel free to rant...we've learned to ignore it

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #9310
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Your comparison to your radio's is relevant with respect to the battery issue. But, you should have stopped there. Your radio isn't trying to read into active memory gigabytes of data (your maps & BirdEye Imagery) when you push the power button. If you don't change that Map data between Power Down/Up cycles it shouldn't take so long to boot up.
I understand what you mean about them being different. My point was mostly about how the auto-power off being a good thing.

I do think the long power up time contributes a lot to my problem leaving the unit on since I don't like to have to wait for it to power up. It doesn't seem to matter much that I don't change the data though. I guess I just don't understand why it takes so long. It can't really be reading all of that data into "active memory". I assume it's indexing it or something along those lines but it just seems it takes a lot longer than it should - that there must be a better way to store the data so that it could do that indexing (or whatever) in a much shorter time.

Quote:
Least you think ADVrider's are the prime market for the Montana, guess again. We are so overshadowed by the Geocachers and "other" users, we should feel lucky that we get any of our Feature Requests addressed. If the "other" users of the Montana wanted to be saved from themselves there would certainly be the code you are looking for.
I agree that ADVriders are not a principle market - you and I have agreed about that in the past. I don't agree that Garmin addresses its market needs very well though. You and I have disagreed about that in the past too!

Quote:
Oh, feel free to rant...we've learned to ignore it
I do and you should! The guys that try to make it personal and throw barbs and insults make me laugh though. It's just an internet forum!

I do think that people like me that don't share the view of the folks out there that really like the emperor's new clothes should feel free to point out the foibles of the unit though. I wish I had seen more of the negative prior to purchase - If I knew then what I know now I doubt I would have made the time/money investment...but I have and I'll live with it!
Old 08-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #9311
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
. . .If I knew then what I know now I doubt I would have made the time/money investment...but I have and I'll live with it!
I don't believe in stress induced by "things" in my life. If it were me, I'd be looking elsewhere and I'd cut my loses (and stress) and sell it.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #9312
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I do think that people like me that don't share the view of the folks out there that really like the emperor's new clothes should feel free to point out the foibles of the unit though. I wish I had seen more of the negative prior to purchase - If I knew then what I know now I doubt I would have made the time/money investment...but I have and I'll live with it!
I think you're in the minority. Most of the things you complain about only seem to affect you. As far as I can tell, you're the cause of most of your own issues by doing things like wiping out directories whenever you don't like their size, etc.

We have two Montanas in this house and they are both reliable. Just because we've nothing substantial to complain about does not makes us any less demanding than you.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #9313
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,632
Late to the party.......ok very late. But, I'm here. My 650T arrived today. Yippee!

I've read about 60 pages of this Thread, so far. Good stuff....but ugh....long way to go yet.

Here's my New Owner's Stupid Question:

Regarding the AMPS Rugged powered mount, has anyone cut the wire for a short lead (say only 6" from the mount base)? If so, are the positive & negative power wires still red and black under that sheath? Do they run same color nose tip to tail?

Anytime I see a junction/splitter halfway along the wires, it raises the question: "What's it look like on this side of the fence?

I already have an SAE lead wired in at my handlebar (for my old 60csx). I just want to splice an SAE plug onto the Rugged Mount power wire very close to the unit, to make that connection.....instead of pulling the whole wire harness thru the bike to my Fuzeblock at the battery.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #9314
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Late to the party.......ok very late. But, I'm here. My 650T arrived today. Yippee!

I've read about 60 pages of this Thread, so far. Good stuff....but ugh....long way to go yet.

Here's my New Owner's Stupid Question:

Regarding the AMPS Rugged powered mount, has anyone cut the wire for a short lead (say only 6" from the mount base)? If so, are the positive & negative power wires still red and black under that sheath? Do they run same color nose tip to tail?

Anytime I see a junction/splitter halfway along the wires, it raises the question: "What's it look like on this side of the fence?

I already have an SAE lead wired in at my handlebar (for my old 60csx). I just want to splice an SAE plug onto the Rugged Mount power wire very close to the unit, to make that connection.....instead of pulling the whole wire harness thru the bike to my Fuzeblock at the battery.

HF
Red & Black all the way...go for it.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #9315
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post

HF
Check this post in the Wisdom and FAQ thread.