Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 04:30 AM   #241
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Reading this discussion, I realize I must a rare bird. We just sold a perfectly running modern car ('98 Chevy Metro Lsi) with auto and A/C with the intention of getting something old and preferably unique. Of course, my wife just keeps saying it has to be "cute". I keep telling myself I must be nuts. We don't want to hot rod it, we don't want to rat rod it. And I certainly don't want to do the full restoration thing, either. We just want a runner that isn't what you see normally going down the road.
Lucky you, living where you do. If I lived in a salt-free environment, we'd be doing the same thing. I think most any 1960s vintage car is easily suitable for every day use. By then, cooling systems could keep up, heaters were becoming standard and radical things like overhead valves were commonplace. It can be done with 1950s cars too, but I think they are a little more involving for both maintenance and keeping them pointed straight down the road. If one isn't picky, any number of 4 door sedans from any vintage can be picked up inexpensively, and if it's a common brand like a Ford or GM parts are never a problem.

Sadly, I live in a place where they use salt at the first sign of a snowflake, so can't bear subjecting anything that has survived 50 or so years to a constant barrage of what equates to acid to it's metal parts. One local guy does drive his stuff year round (Buick Riviera, monster Pontiac Bonneville) but he does all his own painting and body repairs in his shop so doing an annual rust fix isn't a big deal to him.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #242
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
The saddest part is that without VO tech education to back the math and science we just don't get the mechanical skilled folks into Engineering in the US.. Used to run the lab at an engineering school, could not believe how many "engineering" students could not turn a screwdriver(Literally!)

Cheers
Dave
I graduated with a degree in industrial engineering/vehicle design. I quickly learned that I want nothing to do with designing cars (with all the safety/comfort bullshit that it seems every car must have nowadays, making a shitty car go for $40k) and now work as a fabricator. Retirement? Fuck that. I'll just die when I'm 60 from all the welding fumes and chemicals.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #243
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
Don't even get me started on this...

I'm lucky enough to teach in a smallish farming community at a middle school with about 600 students. I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky to have found a school that not only HAS the equipment but promotes the vocational end of education.

I teach 7th and 8th graders sheet metals, welding, small engine repair, bicycle repair, leather working, and tech and design where we cover a ton of stuff from catapults to flight to CAD / 3D printing to whatever the heck I feel like learning more about (last year it was sail boats, this year I'm thinking EV so I can have a little background for my electric motorcycle build... ).

What blew my mind when I started teaching was how many students not only could not read a ruler, but had no idea which side meant what!!!

I'm doing my best to help them understand the design process, and understand why it's important to know HOW things work. Sometimes though it's tough to pull their mind out of whatever the latest app rage is long enough to get them interested in anything.

Usually, the P-51 Mustang propeller blade will catch their attention, or the roughly 100 year old hit-and-miss engine I have sitting on the table will shake them from their haze.

I dunno... Not impressed with the current direction our fearless leaders are taking education in.

SEE!? I TOLD you not to get me started!!!
New $50 million dollar high school in my town, and they've designed the auto shop to be used for other purposes in anticipation that it won't be needed in a few years. Other new high school doesn't even have one.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #244
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Had a car show up here a couple weekends ago. A lot of really nice old cars. From the 20's up through mid 80's. Full up restorations, muscle cars ready for the dragstrip to rat rods made out of scraps. But they were vastly outnumbered by the new generation of ricers with fart cans and stock cars with a few stickers on them.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #245
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,301
I wish I took a camera to all the Oakland Rod and Custom Show's I went to - compared to the level of old car customizations there is now it was pretty legendary.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #246
Kris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
The local club had a cruise in / car show Saturday night, out of the 100 + cars there I would say all were owned by people 55 + in age mostly guys in their 60s. There was a Mazda Speed3 and a S10 v8 that had younger owners but that was about it for the youth segment. There were many younger guys there to look (me included) and were obviously interested which is encouraging. As is the custom at these events some are sporting for sale signs but I didn't see a price under 20k. I don't think banks loan on these type of vehicles so it would be cash sales which excludes many younger buyers.
Some ideas to help this situation; These clubs need to encourage younger guys to get involved. Perhaps a retired guy who is an old car expert could mentor a young car enthusiast. Share that knowledge of car restoration and hot rodding. If you are retired and well off cut a deal on your classic car that you have for sale to a young car enthusiast with the agreement that the car will be kept, not flipped and he will participate in club events.
Many at these events are sitting in lawn chairs next to their classic car, I have yet to see any of these guys ever speak to my 14 year old son as he pours over these muscle cars he is obviously interested in this hobby. He is the future of this hobby. We have a 2000 Sonoma and after seeing the S10 V8 his goal is a V8 swap for it and has already started researching this potential project. He even washed and waxed and detailed the interior the following day.
I think many kids would have an interest in old cars and the mechanical world but too many fathers do not. That is where the guys in the cars clubs could help out IMHO.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: