Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #61
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas123 View Post
I can't find any of these helmets on Snell's certification lists.

http://www.smf.org/cert
Snell? No they are not Snell.

This is hotly debated, but there are many riders that lost interest in Snell approval after Motorcyclist's two test series (circa 2005/2006) found that certain non-Snell helmets absorbed shock better than most Snell helmets even though the outer shell sustained more damage. As a prior owner of Snell only helmets, including an Arai Signet GT, I personally have switched over to DOT and ECE rated helmets in good part due to these test results. Plus my Arai fell apart after 5 years ... reason enough to doubt my $550 purchasing habits
Old 03-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #62
alaskasail
Never Owned a Harley

Oddometer: 44
I think they are a little different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajeff View Post
NICE Buggies SS! Now back to our regularly scheduled thread
YET another company builds a clone:
It's the Cyber Helmets UX-32, WITH the sunshield already installed AND only $85
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/produ...s-ux-32-helmet

So there is the Fly Trekker, AFX FX-39, MSR Xpedition M-13, and now this UX-32 ALL these helmets are virtually identical. SOMEONE never got the exclusive patent rights. I don't think I've seen this many of the same helmet from different companys before.
I'm about to buy one of these and can't decide. It's not a costly decision, but my head is in there and I don't have much more room onthe self for helmets.

I was looking at the You Tube reviews of these helmets Fly Trekker DS and the AFX - 39 and I think that the venting in the liner is different and the shock padding on the Fly is a 2-part system over just one on the AFX. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o7de6zjrYE

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there any merit to the 2-part system?
Old 03-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #63
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskasail View Post
I'm about to buy one of these and can't decide. It's not a costly decision, but my head is in there and I don't have much more room onthe self for helmets.

I was looking at the You Tube reviews of these helmets Fly Trekker DS and the AFX - 39 and I think that the venting in the liner is different and the shock padding on the Fly is a 2-part system over just one on the AFX. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o7de6zjrYE

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there any merit to the 2-part system?
I didn't notice that the padding was any better either way. They are nothing fancy, but reasonably comfortable for what they are. I put 800 miles in one last spring on our big grand canyon offroad tour and it was fine.

They fit different. The FX one runs a little bigger IIRC. If you're a in between size then one or the other may fit better.
I wear a large and the fly was a bit too big, the fx medium fit just right. The FX has the quick connect chin strap which I like - can't recall if the fly has that too. I put one of those foam pocket coozies in the very top for a little extra padding, but then I do that quite often, I think I have a pointy dome from getting squeeze at birth.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #64
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,594
Any updates on the helmets?

I have an AFX FX-37, predecessor to the FX-39. It's about shot.

Reading the threads, I'm seeing some sizing discrepancies. Let's assume I wear an AFX size M. What would my Fly or MSR size be?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #65
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 776
FYI i've emailed oneal about making a dual sport helmet and the responce i got was something like "we only make mx helmets and don't plan on making a dual sport helmet"

Reason i emailed them is because my oneal 8 series dirt helmet is the most comfortable helmet i've ever worn. Way nicer liner and fit than my shoei. I just hate wearing goggles. I want a face shield on it.

Now i'm looking at the oneal website and it shows a ds helmet, but no other info.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #66
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Any updates on the helmets?

I have an AFX FX-37, predecessor to the FX-39. It's about shot.

Reading the threads, I'm seeing some sizing discrepancies. Let's assume I wear an AFX size M. What would my Fly or MSR size be?
If you normally wear a large (as I do) I would go size large on the other brands. My AFX in M fits okay, it's a little snug, but a large would have been too loose. The 39 was supposedly a substantial update from the 37. You might visit atomicmoto.com, they were really influential in launching the AFX DS helmet. Don't hesitate to call Brian about fit either. I'm pretty sure he can nail it for you.

I have an old HJC MX, the old SPX with the integrated visor/peak. Super comfortable helmet, but no windscreen - it's a MX helmet. I still prefer it for offroad. I'll only wear the FX39 true dualsporting - a combo of hiway and offroad.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #67
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
If you normally wear a large (as I do) I would go size large on the other brands. My AFX in M fits okay, it's a little snug, but a large would have been too loose. The 39 was supposedly a substantial update from the 37. You might visit atomicmoto.com, they were really influential in launching the AFX DS helmet. Don't hesitate to call Brian about fit either. I'm pretty sure he can nail it for you.
Thanks, I may give Brian a call. Seems a good course of action. My helmet size vacillates between S and M (no jokes) depending upon the helmet. I have several MX and road helmets, but only one DS helmet (unless you count the Icon Variant, but I think it's really a road helmet.)
Old 08-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #68
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 557
My Fly was a smidge loose in XL but my new FX-39 fits perfectly in a Large

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:12 AM   #69
flinders_72
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Got the Fly today and must say I'm impressed. My other helmet is a road helmet (Shark RSI) so I expected the Trekker to be noisier and more wind affected but it was neither, although it was a still day here and I didn't get any faster than 85kph. It's lighter than the Shark (both size L) and fits equally as well, which is perfect.

The only thing I don't like about it is the screen doesn't lift high enough to get completely out of the way when you're doing the slow stuff and puffing fog. It does breathe well, which I like, but not well enough to keep the screen shut in this situation.

It gets a thumbs up from me.
flinders_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #70
freerangeBP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question Don't the little things count?

Hey everyone, I'm a newb to both motorcycles and DS and looking to get my first helmet. Particularly these helmets that all come from the same mold (FX-39, Trekker, Cyber, MSR). Can you help clarify the differences between the helmets?

These are the differences as far as I can tell:
  • AFX FX-39: Runs large. Ratchet strap. XTRA side-cover kit to run without visor. Most popular.
  • Fly Trekker: True to size. D-rings. No extras.
  • MSR M-13 X-Pedition: True to size. D-rings. No extras. Coolest design IMO.
  • Cyber UX-32: Sizing? D-rings/ratchet? XTRA half sun shield (according to Powersport Superstore). Can get for $83 currently.

I just bought a new MSR Xpeditiion off of CL, and noticed that the chin strap isn't fully padded when strapped down. Do any of the others have full padding? The one I bought also seems to have a different shield than what is pictured on any of the helmets. I'm trying to decide whether to get the smooth shield and half shield for my $80 MSR or resell it and buy the Cyber for $80 with both those included.

freerangeBP screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 03:40 AM
freerangeBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:29 AM   #71
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,140
I like my 39, but it does seem to run a tad big compared to other brands I wear. I'm an XL in Shoei and Scorpion, but my XL 39 has a little too much slop for highway speeds. It's awesome off road and gravel, but above 60 or so it moves around. I'd like to try one in Large just to see, but am looking for a used Hornet in XL for trips that are mainly road.
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote