User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
cphubert OP
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Question MEFO tire problems?

Had a set of the MEFO explorers on KLR, rear tire chunked out and self destructed after long duration highway rides (700 - 900 mile, 18- 20 hour days). Found tire cracking, separating along outer tread pattern in Minnesota and falling apart in Ohio, sorry no pictures scraped tire and was lucky to find one that fit (K750) in stock at a dealer. Until this point I was happy with these tires started trip with 5k on tires fell apart with 8k on them still had 30-40% tread, standard tubes @ 28 psi. Anyone else have a problem with them? maybe bad batch? would be hard for me to recommend or buy in future.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
SplitRock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I'm running Mefo Explorers on my 2011 KLR. I currently have 6,400 miles on them, a blend of pavement, gravel, trail. Looks like I'll get another 1,500 - 2,000 miles on them. My initial thought is that lotsa highway miles at 28 psi overworked them. If I know I'll be on the pavement primarily, I typically air them up to 32-34 psi, then drop down for dirt. I'll order up new tires in the fall so I have them on-hand. I'm not dead set on Explorers again, as they are expensive, but they may well be the next set also. This probably doesn't help you much. I'll be interested in what others report.

Brent
SplitRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Balootraveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
I had great luck with MEFOs on a KLR but I ran higher pressure on pavement too.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
yeah, the more dirt-oriented a tire is, and the heavier the bike, the more important tire pressure is going to be when riding on the road. I've got a set on my 950 adventure and they've held up fine, but I run them between 35 and 40 psi.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,922
You started your trip with 5k on the tires??

How do you guy's get that kind of mileage out of ANY tire??

I have used the Mefo se under my 990 and it was great for road work and okay in the dirt, but I have never and I mean never gotten anything more than 3k miles out of any tire. I have burned up many 908's, and always gotten right at 2.5k out of them. I just toasted a MT90 on my 690 in 12 hunny miles, running the 908 on it now, and have a Mefo se on order for it.

What am I doing wrong? Too low air pressure? 35 and 40 psi?? I thought I was running high pressure at 26 rear, 22 works well.

Anyway, good luck, Eric.

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
cphubert OP
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Everyone I talked to said I need more air 36-40 psi to run that hard on the highway. This was my first set of MEFO's, happy with tires, seamed to wear well, good performance other than light slippage on black snakes and painted lines. Talked to other at the Very Boring rally in Duluth, MN no other KLR rider cared for the tire most ran Avon, Kenda. BIG E I got 8k out of my first set of stock tires, 4k out of a set of V-rubber (around Labrador, then they where shot) thru another set of stock K750 about 7k, then the MEFO's now back to K750 (the only thing the Ohio dealer had that fit)
Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
tjduexjr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Tire pressure

Others have already weighed in on the need for more tire pressure. Here is a quote from Twisted Throttle on the Mefo Explorers that caught my eye the first time I saw it.

"On the KLR650, the recommended rear tire pressure with the original tires is 28 PSI. MEFO recommends using at least 36 PSI, if not higher pressure, in its rear tire for best performance and wear on this bike."
tjduexjr is offline   Reply With Quote