Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #286
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelhead View Post
I'm seriously looking at trying a pair of these. They look pretty promising. As a bonus, they come with rechargeable batteries that can be used as a portable 12V power supply for electronics/whatever.
http://dx.com/p/cree-xm-l-t6-4800lm-...x-18650-199920

X2 so your spending $125+, still need switches, wiring, fuse holders. You get a product with a breakable glass lens, looks like plastic housings, and its resistance to vibration and shock are questionable.

vs

American assembled and backed, tested, metal housing, polycarb lens, switches, wiring, fuses etc.

All for about $60 more!

http://www.amazon.com/RIGID-Industri.../dp/B004DEZTPU

And for daytime visibility these things are great, put a set on the wife's bike too, and can say for someone to pull in front of you because they couldn't see you would be impossible, unless they are blind!
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #287
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelhead View Post
I'm seriously looking at trying a pair of these. They look pretty promising. As a bonus, they come with rechargeable batteries that can be used as a portable 12V power supply for electronics/whatever.
http://dx.com/p/cree-xm-l-t6-4800lm-...x-18650-199920
I've been real happy with my lil 900lm DX lights for MTB use, those look interesting for the moto but how would you get around the push button to switch them with the bike lights?

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #288
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Nice, for the $$

These seem to fit the bill for me and my 2010 Griso: 20w each light @ <1 amp each, $120/pair. As I have bar-end mirrors, I had the perfect mounting points, only minor mods to the mounting brackets were needed to accommodate the fairly large metric bolt used with the OEM mirrors.

Before:

After:

The whole setup, including lights, switched electrical harness, PWM dimmer, soldering and whatnot was probably $150 plus a few too many hours wrenching in the garage after work.
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #289
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Considering going with Rigid Industries 10221 D2 Dually light set. Do I want floods or spots?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #290
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater495 View Post
Considering going with Rigid Industries 10221 D2 Dually light set. Do I want floods or spots?
It depends on your intended use for them. Spots are great for distance, but are mostly useless in urban settings. Floods are great for urban and back roads that are twisty, but do not extend your sight distance at night. Some of us have both, either one of each, or two sets, one spot and one set fogs/floods.

If you have to pick just one, you need to know where the light is needed most.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #291
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Thanks Jim. I'm waiting on my HID headlight kit to arrive, which I think will handle the long distance light pretty well. I think floods will serve my need.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #292
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Thanks Jim. I'm waiting on my HID headlight kit to arrive, which I think will handle the long distance light pretty well. I think floods will serve my need.
I am considering going with one of each, put the flood on the left side to light more of the road and the spot on the right aimed to light up any critters hanging around roadside...

But I change my mind about every 10 minutes or so thinking I could go with both and set up the floods on my low beams (dimmed for conspicuity purposes) and the spots on my high beams to incinerate deer and other critters at night...
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #293
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,188
Quote:
If you're looking for that kind of lighting, check out the Piaa LP530s. Nice spread and no need for a dimmer like most LEDs as they produce a focused beam that can be aimed to supplement the low beam. $191.

http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-5372-530-...sim_sbs_auto_2
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #294
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,579
Quote:
I went with one of each. With two Rigid Dually Spots there was a real hot-spot in the center. Two floods didn't project far at all. One spot and one flood works better.

One of the flood lights was broken. Rigid procrastinated then later said they'd send a replacement then didn't send a replacement then, eventually did send a replacement. The lights are OK even if each one weighs a pound and a half, but the warranty manager simply lied. (Did he think I wouldn't notice that no replacement arrived?)

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:28 AM   #295
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,545
Money has been kinda tight so I settled for a set of 10 watt 1000 lumen ebay lights. $53.90 for the pair with free shipping from china. Only took 9 days to get them

I don't have a switch yet so I connected them to my heat troller

They are a nice looking light and very compact and seem well built on the outside

The Vstrom has very good lighting for far away but I've been wanting something that lights up the road closer to me and to the sides. My commute is under construction at the moment with lots of fresh asphalt and no fog lines yet. That new asphalt just sucks up the light

Took a test ride tonite

Camera does not quite show what I see but it sure shows what a difference the lights make

Very happy with them so far
Old 10-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #296
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,576
I want to give an update on the Chinese lights I discussed couple of pages back.

I bought a lot of them. Currently have 5 on the bike and several for spares and experiments.
Quality of the manufacture leaves a bit to be desired. All of them didn't have proper heat sinking compound application and threads for mount adapters were too short- had to use a couple of washers. Most of the lights were not calibrated to deliver the full power- the total consumption was between 6 and 8 Watts. I fixed it by installing different current sensing resistors. I tuned the total consumption to 10W. Allowing for the driver losses it would drive the LED with some safety margin.

So far I have about 14000 miles with these lights and had no reliability issues.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #297
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,576
Some pictures of the lights in action. The large lights you see in the previous post are off the bike now. I only had the little 10W LEDs for this session

All lights are off

Stock high beam

5x10W LEDs

LEDs + High beam

As you can see they compare favorably to the Ridgit setup posted by secondofangle at full power. And they draw 50W total, while the Rigids are rated at 110 (2x20+2x35).
The amount of light is huge, but the quality of it could be better. All the lights have spot beam optics, however the beam edge is not well defined. As the result there is too much light on the road right in front of the bike, and some light is wasted going to high. Note how the LED light up the whole wall of the building on the right, and compare it with the stock beam. This wall of light causes another problem- when turning it off for oncoming traffic, it feels almost like stepping in the dark from a well lit room.
So there is such a thing as too much light.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #298
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
Some pictures of the lights in action. The large lights you see in the previous post are off the bike now. I only had the little 10W LEDs for this session

All lights are off

Stock high beam

5x10W LEDs

LEDs + High beam

As you can see they compare favorably to the Ridgit setup posted by secondofangle at full power. And they draw 50W total, while the Rigids are rated at 110 (2x20+2x35).
The amount of light is huge, but the quality of it could be better. All the lights have spot beam optics, however the beam edge is not well defined. As the result there is too much light on the road right in front of the bike, and some light is wasted going to high. Note how the LED light up the whole wall of the building on the right, and compare it with the stock beam. This wall of light causes another problem- when turning it off for oncoming traffic, it feels almost like stepping in the dark from a well lit room.
So there is such a thing as too much light.
Great post and pictures to compare!

Thanks
Old 10-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #299
Wreckman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
http://www.mondomotos.com/

Are the lights Mondomotos sells USA made or somewhere else? I am interested in installing these LEDs on my GS. They look good in the picture but so do the fleabay lights?????
Wreckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #300
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckman View Post
http://www.mondomotos.com/

Are the lights Mondomotos sells USA made or somewhere else? I am interested in installing these LEDs on my GS. They look good in the picture but so do the fleabay lights?????
curious on these too...anyone have experience with em?
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote