User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Russell Day-Long Group Buy

Anyone know of a group buy being put together anywhere? I'd consider putting one together but I want to to see if one is already being put together first. Thanks.

Google search didn't turn up much.
kltk1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
I'm in. I've been looking for one.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:37 AM   #3
bmwrider1946
Young Old Fart

Oddometer: 43
Based on my experience I would guess that even if they would consider it, it would be in the winter when they are slower.
bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That's correct. From what Russell told me. They wouldn't decide if they were having one until the end of November.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,136
Russell does this from time to time and I participated in an ADV group buy a few years ago. I cannot remember the discount, but I think it was 10%. Love my RDL, by the way. The only issue is that I bought the 100% leather version and the leather is wearing away (delaminating?) at the top of the seat near the tank.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I participated in one back in January 2012. At that time the discount was 20%. Not insignificant, in my opinion, on a $400+ seat.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
captwheel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by kltk1 View Post
That's correct. From what Russell told me. They wouldn't decide if they were having one until the end of November.

Are you planning on keeping this forum open & update us here on the progress for a group buy?
I am in. Been thinking about one.

Thanks, Phil
captwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hopefully we'll have enough interest to keep the thread going on its own. While it's not my wish to do so, if no one else steps up to coordinate a group buy, I'll take on the task. If Russell decides to have one.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:34 AM   #9
fammdw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Thumb

Quote:
Anyone know of a group buy being put together anywhere? I'd consider putting one together but I want to to see if one is already being put together first. Thanks.

Google search didn't turn up much.
kltk1:

My name is Mike Williams and I set-up and ran the group buy over on the Vulcan Bagger forum last Fall. I'm still battle weary from that group buy and not interested in running another one this year. I am actually in the market for another seat though, as I traded my Voyager for a HD FLHTK. I would love to participate in yours and would support you in anyway I can with advice from my experience last year. There is a little RDL internal politics involved with making your group buy effort a success. You can PM me if you would like and we can discuss it further.

For now, I would begin by having your interested parties PM you with their name, city and state, email address and make, model and year of their bike. Keep a list of these group member's information in the numerical order they contacted you. Do this regardless of whether RDL commits to honoring your group buy. We can talk more about that in our PM. I'll send you a PM with my info for your list.

Once you tell me you are going to run with it, I will reach out to all the forums I advertised on last year and point the members towards this forum and your thread. For you to be successful in garnering the numbers necessary for RDL to accept your group buy, you need to reach out to owners of all kinds of bikes. RDL does not care how many different bikes you have included, only the total number of possible sales. They generally want 125 - 150 potential orders. I had 168 on my list and RDL honored 150 people on the group buy discount. The discount is 20% which as one poster said earlier - not insignificant!

Let me know if I can help you further!

Mike Williams
Wichita, KS

fammdw screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 05:45 AM
fammdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mike, I can't thank you enough for the support and advice. I'll check your pm when I get home and will respond. Thanks again.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #11
fammdw
Adventurer

Quote:
Mike, I can't thank you enough for the support and advice. I'll check your pm when I get home and will respond. Thanks again.

Just noticed that it was you that said you participated last January. That means you got a seat from my group buy then! Great seat isn't it? Once you have had one, you can't ride on anything else. If I get one this year, it will be my third. All from group buys. Sent you a PM. We'll talk later...

Take care, Mike

fammdw screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 06:01 AM
Old 09-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 322
I participated in a group buy, I believe was on the fjr forum. I also bought the leather seat which I would not do again, too much maintenance, higher price and I did not think it was an added benefit. Needless to say I would go with the vinyl if I did it again. RDL also got real funny about the number of participants and they cut it off ( I guess I can't blame them) but if you are interested and they concur you better be ready to move fast.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Regarding seat material, I go with velour all the time. It breathes and doesn't get hot. I already it outdoor scotch guard and its waterproof enough for the rate occasion I find myself in rain.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #14
kltk1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry, phone spell check.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
fammdw
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmurf View Post
I participated in a group buy, I believe was on the fjr forum. I also bought the leather seat which I would not do again, too much maintenance, higher price and I did not think it was an added benefit. Needless to say I would go with the vinyl if I did it again. RDL also got real funny about the number of participants and they cut it off ( I guess I can't blame them) but if you are interested and they concur you better be ready to move fast.
I agree... My first one was on an FJR1300 and it was vinyl. No problems at all. I rode and never gave it a thought. The next one I bought for my Voyager was all leather and I was constantly worrying about it getting wet, putting conditioner on any creases I saw developing and just fussing over it in general. As for the way it rode, I didn't see a bit of difference in the vinyl or the leather. I think I'll save the money this time around and get vinyl again. There must be a reason why most major seat manufacturers use vinyl.