ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
chorizo OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 189
Which riding suit?

I came from no helmet and just Levis back in the day but now I feel naked with out all the gear all the time. High vis jacket, armor, earplugs, safety glass...time consuming.
Im considering an Aerostich or equivalent riding suit.
Mostly I want easy on, off and safety and prefer not to roast.
Light weight with protection would be ideal. I know Im asking a lot.
Sometimes I will commute and need to wear street clothes.
Im hoping to make riding preparation simpler and quicker to the saddle.
Does the suit actually save time? More comfy? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Snohomish county, Washington USA
Oddometer: 1,881
If I lived in your neck of the woods, I would be looking at the Olympia Stealth or Avenger mesh suit. I use an Olympia Phantom and Stealth for my commuting.
__________________
Regards,
MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
cphubert
Old Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: CT
Oddometer: 15
Thumb

In my book nothing beats the Aerostich, I have the darien jacket and pants but tried on the roadcrafter light at the boring rally. It will be my next. Easy on and off with street clothes or some even wear shorts under in really hot weather, with full protection. my gear is 10 years old at the rally they retaped my collar seam and replaced a zipper, will any other provide that service?
__________________
God loves fools and idiots
I've got both bases covered
cphubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
groop
So much to ponder
 
groop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: oc, ca
Oddometer: 3,213
I think the Aerostich suit is very nice, but I think the rest of the Riders Warehouse is a joke. For instance, today I received an email that they are having an 'end of summer' sale 'with discounts up to 75% off'. 160 items on sale. 90% were 10% off. Only one item (some pre-soaked wipes- wtf?) was 75% off. My point is that they use a lot of misleading advertising, and for that reason, I would be skeptical of their claims on any of their products.

I know some inmates here swear by Aerostich, and that's just fine. I attended the BMW rally in Salem and there was no shortage of dayglo 'stich wandering the fairgrounds.

That being said, you may want to also consider Teiz as well. I bought some pants from them that were a fraction of the cost of 'Stich and have held up well for 5 years. If you know me, I spend a ton of money on all things related to safety. I usually buy the most expensive, most heavily armored version of anything that's available. I didn't buy the Teiz pants because they were a cheap substitute for Aerostich, but because I thought the quality was comparable. Their suits have their own thread here, so take a look
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433219

Personally, if I were looking for a one-piece suit, I would probably go with the Teiz. But, you need to find what suits (pun intended) you best
__________________
Because you cannot eat a salad with a spork.
groop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 2,238
I have both a olympia phantom and aerostich light suit.

the olympia fits me better. I'm 5'9" and wear 34x32 jeans. I can also get in/out with boots on. it'll work in a wider range of temperature. with all the vents open I wore it yesterday in 85F. phantom comes with a liner/inner suit that is very warm.

the only thing I don't like is the shoulder stiching came apart from a low speed tumble. my shoulder did not impact the ground.


EDIT: phantom is discontinued. the replacement 'odessey' has a different liner (maybe deleted all together)
__________________
Alan
2011 KTM RC8R
2012 BMW S1000RR
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
AlanCT
The Byronic Man
 
AlanCT's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Northeastern CT
Oddometer: 3,378
I've been happy with my Aerostich Darien suit for about seven years now. It is versatile, waterproof, and is holding up extremely well, wear-wise.
__________________
"You wouldn't be riding a motorcycle if you weren't an optimist."
- Matthew Crawford
2005 Ural Tourist, 2000 Kawasaki W650
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Ape76
NB
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Long Slab in Midwest
Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
I think the Aerostich suit is very nice, but I think the rest of the Riders Warehouse is a joke. For instance, today I received an email that they are having an 'end of summer' sale 'with discounts up to 75% off'. 160 items on sale. 90% were 10% off. Only one item (some pre-soaked wipes- wtf?) was 75% off. My point is that they use a lot of misleading advertising, and for that reason, I would be skeptical of their claims on any of their products.

I know some inmates here swear by Aerostich, and that's just fine. I attended the BMW rally in Salem and there was no shortage of dayglo 'stich wandering the fairgrounds.

That being said, you may want to also consider Teiz as well. I bought some pants from them that were a fraction of the cost of 'Stich and have held up well for 5 years. If you know me, I spend a ton of money on all things related to safety. I usually buy the most expensive, most heavily armored version of anything that's available. I didn't buy the Teiz pants because they were a cheap substitute for Aerostich, but because I thought the quality was comparable. Their suits have their own thread here, so take a look
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433219

Personally, if I were looking for a one-piece suit, I would probably go with the Teiz. But, you need to find what suits (pun intended) you best

I agree with you. Was kinda disappointed that there was no real riding gear present in the "75% off" sale. Only small "gadgets" that no one bought hence the reason they are closing them out...
Ape76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
chorizo OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 189
I didnt know Olympia made suits. Ive had they're mesh jacket for some time and really like it. The XXL fit is big enough for heat gear or layering. I did replace elbow armor for some fox knee pads the kids grew out of back in the day. Feels confident now and good to re-pourpose that stuff. Yah Olympia..
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
DCMC
Supermoto Rider
 
DCMC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 78
With the aero stitch 2pc suits, do they go on/off when zipped together around the waist? Said another way, can they be left zipped together most of the time?
DCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct
 
bomber60015's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago-ish
Oddometer: 10,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMC View Post
With the aero stitch 2pc suits, do they go on/off when zipped together around the waist? Said another way, can they be left zipped together most of the time?

yes, and that's exacly how I use mine, built in 1997.

My stich has been the best, and the cheapest (amortized over the life of the product) motorcycle invenstmenet I've ever made.

I agree that a great deal of what's in their catalog is not for me, but that doesn't lessen my respect for the company . . . . I buy what I need/want from them, and ignore the rest.
__________________
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
DCMC
Supermoto Rider
 
DCMC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
yes, and that's exacly how I use mine, built in 1997.

My stich has been the best, and the cheapest (amortized over the life of the product) motorcycle invenstmenet I've ever made.

I agree that a great deal of what's in their catalog is not for me, but that doesn't lessen my respect for the company . . . . I buy what I need/want from them, and ignore the rest.
Thanks for your response. People seem to drive down the cost per use of this gear by keeping it for many years.
DCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct
 
bomber60015's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago-ish
Oddometer: 10,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMC View Post
Thanks for your response. People seem to drive down the cost per use of this gear by keeping it for many years.
This is so, yes.

I am not tinterested in buying gear to try sometihing new (I even seem to have recovered from my glove-whore status!) -- If I have something that does what I need, I'd rather spend the money on gas and time away.

Also, I know I spent many times the cost of my stich trying to recreate it's functionality with other products before I broke down and bought it. I have a feeling I'm not alone.

Of course, if the price of a new piece of gear (or a used one -- the flea market here is invaluable) is simply beyond your reach, this is where compromise rears it's head.
__________________
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Wasilla Alaska
Oddometer: 1,704
I've had a roadcrafter one piece for years as well as a number of other one piece and two piece suits and pants from other makers- Rev-it, Tourmaster, Hein Gerkie (sp), and a few others. I always seem to come back to the 'stich as it just seems to work the best. It is easier to don, seems to provide superior protection (this is personally untested, thankfully), and is the easiest to layer in order to configure to the riding conditions.

It's faults are poor zipper waterproofing, and poor ventilation in really hot conditions. I find it fine from temps of 30-90 F, but above or below that it's either too cold or too hot. It is also a royal pain to stow, and it takes up a lot of space when you get to where you are going. But as a general use suit it is still my top pick. If I were purchasing a new suit today I'd look very hard at the new Light version. Hopefully the new zippers will have finally fixed the "I've peed myself" crotch leak.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014