Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #17731
gyanse1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
That bag is nothing special what is special is the rack which he has it strapped to it. It is the stock rack or the stock rack clone. Not super rare but fairly hard to come by. It is welded off the stock S
The tool tube is an agircultrual supply tractor operating instrcution holder. Can buy them at mnay various ag sites, or from vendors in the vendor section. Many discussions on how to mount. From hose clamps and nuts /blots. To aluminum angle section and hose clamps. Or auto exhuast clamps. Do a search for Tool Tube here in ADV and you will have reading matterial for a month.
I have limited fabrication skills and tools to bend an aluminum plate---can i see a close up of your tool tube mount? just clasp pipe hangers bolted to the tool kit mounts?
gyanse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #17732
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyanse1 View Post
can you show me how you made that tool tube?
Agri Tool Tube

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565745

He used a couple of straps, but you can use an exhaust band clamp:

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...56861/10002/-1

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #17733
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyanse1 View Post
I have limited fabrication skills and tools to bend an aluminum plate---can i see a close up of your tool tube mount? just clasp pipe hangers bolted to the tool kit mounts?
Most of the aluminum bracket jobbies are made from pre bent aluminum angle. The angle is bolted to the stock tool tube mounting location and a few slots cut in the angle aright at the bend to slot hose clamps through it. Doing this way postiions the tube in a better location.

With mine I jsut used two hose clamps through the tol box mount large holes. Then I bolted one of the tube's mounting ears to the threaded hole on the helmet lock mount (the weird looking tab on the plate holder bracket). The other mounting ear I use to have bolted to the back side of the battery box. However the tire woudl rub it, so I hacked it off. THe problem with mounting it this way is that the lid rubs the fender slightly, the threads of the cap get cross threaded, though they look like they are engaged properly. After severla miles of rocky bumpy jumpy trail the cap falls off and you lose your tools. More like strwen over miles of trail. That is why people opt to use the exhaust clamp of the angle bracket.

I no longer carry that tool tube. FUCK Tools. My DR has never borken down on me. Actualy it is jsut a PITA to get your tools in and out of. So I did not reinstall the tube after a rework.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #17734
gyanse1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Most of the aluminum bracket jobbies are made from pre bent aluminum angle. The angle is bolted to the stock tool tube mounting location and a few slots cut in the angle aright at the bend to slot hose clamps through it. Doing this way postiions the tube in a better location.

With mine I jsut used two hose clamps through the tol box mount large holes. Then I bolted one of the tube's mounting ears to the threaded hole on the helmet lock mount (the weird looking tab on the plate holder bracket). The other mounting ear I use to have bolted to the back side of the battery box. However the tire woudl rub it, so I hacked it off. THe problem with mounting it this way is that the lid rubs the fender slightly, the threads of the cap get cross threaded, though they look like they are engaged properly. After severla miles of rocky bumpy jumpy trail the cap falls off and you lose your tools. More like strwen over miles of trail. That is why people opt to use the exhaust clamp of the angle bracket.

I no longer carry that tool tube. FUCK Tools. My DR has never borken down on me. Actualy it is jsut a PITA to get your tools in and out of. So I did not reinstall the tube after a rework.
AWESOME!! THANKS FOR THE INFO!! Yea....I have had no probs with my Dr--I wanted a protective tube to hold x-tra night glasses, phones and small loose gear as I like to ride as minimalist as I can. I don't like backacks and I like to be streamlined in the woods with just a camelpack if anything.
gyanse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #17735
mmanniko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
91 dirt model carb question.

My bike runs great and carburates clean unless it is a very rough surface like braking bumps or a rock field. It feels like it is getting too much fuel. I have played with lowering the float level and it reduced the issue but I went back to stock cause it caused other problems. The float does not have an adjustment for limiting the travel I could see.

I have not heard of others mentioning this in this huge thread, so am I the only one and any ideas to fix it?

Mark
mmanniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #17736
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmanniko View Post
My bike runs great and carburates clean unless it is a very rough surface like braking bumps or a rock field. It feels like it is getting too much fuel. I have played with lowering the float level and it reduced the issue but I went back to stock cause it caused other problems. The float does not have an adjustment for limiting the travel I could see.

I have not heard of others mentioning this in this huge thread, so am I the only one and any ideas to fix it?

Mark
BST carbs do that because the slide "bounces".
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #17737
mmanniko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
BST carbs do that because the slide "bounces".
It's a pumper, on the dirt model.
mmanniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #17738
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Fuck work!! I'm outta here.

Going to ride up to the pacific crest, on my way home. The long way!!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #17739
DR350seKING
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
2 day is the day I take the Dr out for the first real road trip. its not that far about 90 miles it should be fun going camping for the weekend

on a side note:

would anybody have a extra set of handlebars that they would want to sell the previous owner cut an inch off of each end of mine I would like that little bit of extra room for a phone or GPS mount
DR350seKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #17740
DR350seKING
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
plasti dip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJbep...ature=youtu.be

what do u guys think?
DR350seKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #17741
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Plasti Dip wont last offroad

The PO of my DR had rattle canned the tank white and it was bubbling like crazy when i bought it. I stripped the paint to find a UV-yellowed tank with "stencil" marks from oddly placed decals. It looked horrible so I plasti dipped it. It turned out great, but every time I go offroad it get worse and worse. I like the rubbery texture on the tank though, it's easy to grip with your knees while standing. Plasti Dip also holds up surprisingly well to split gasoline.

Pretty decent results for a $6 can and about an hour of time...Here it is a few days after dipping:

LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #17742
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I found this (NOS) DG Baja skid plate on amazon last week. I haven't seen any of these around. Dirtoverstock was the seller, I'm not sure if they have anymore. Seems pretty tough, but required a little filing to get it mounted correctly.

You can also see my plasti-dipped tank after a two trail rides:

LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #17743
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopGaroo View Post
I found this (NOS) DG Baja skid plate on amazon last week. I haven't seen any of these around. Dirtoverstock was the seller, I'm not sure if they have anymore. Seems pretty tough, but required a little filing to get it mounted correctly.

You can also see my plasti-dipped tank after a two trail rides:

That skid plate is beefy. I ahev never seen one that comes up so high. Must be great to protect the oil hoses from flying gravel. My skid is peppered with marks from flying gravel all the wya up to the top edge. I'd assume that more fly higher and strick the oil hoses. The oil drain plug guard looks awesome.

Plastic dip tends to peel a bit. Did you rough up the tank prior to spraying. Have you tried rubberiszed undercoat spray or bedliner?
Old 08-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #17744
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,202
Anyone here have a supertrapp? I heard somewhere it was 4 discs to bolt on a stock dr. Currently running 6 and it cuts out on the freeway with any extra throttle.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #17745
AleksanderTheGreat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR350seKING View Post
2 day is the day I take the Dr out for the first real road trip. its not that far about 90 miles it should be fun going camping for the weekend

on a side note:

would anybody have a extra set of handlebars that they would want to sell the previous owner cut an inch off of each end of mine I would like that little bit of extra room for a phone or GPS mount
I have a set of stock set of handlebars, shoot me a PM and I can send you some pictures.

I also have the stock tool box and even includes the stock rubber cap!
AleksanderTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote