Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #16
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
Love my jetboil. However, I find its either on or off. So, it brings stuff to a boil fast. Perfect tool for making hot water you can use: coffee, tea or anything you add hot water to when making it like instant oatmeal. The small bottom of the jetboil canister means the heat is concentrated and its easy to burn anything thick like beans or chilli. Google alcohol stove for cheap camping stove. I like my jetboil though. I can set it up, dump water in it, boil the water, pour it through a coffee filter and have coffee in like 90 seconds. And it cools down instantly and can be packed back up immediately. Nice!
Trick is add more water (it'll boil off, so don't worry about it going soggy) and stir the contents constantly once up to temp. You can do pasta and all sorts in it this way.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #17
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
This is the setup I use. Burns denatured alchohol. No moving parts. Works good.

Stove purchased on ADV. Stanley pot purchased at Wally World. Wind screen made from a can of beans. The stove fits inside the pot and if you dont need both cups then you could store fuel in there as well.

Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
nucular
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
The jetboil, pocket rocket, and even those inexpensive ebay/amazon ones are all decent stoves. The quality of my amazon one (pocket rocket) is not the greatest but it works. The arms snag on each other when opening it up, etc.

The real downside to all of the above stoves if you want one for military or survival use is that you have to buy the isobutane/propane fuel specific for camping stoves. One of the multi-fuel stoves may serve you better (something like an MSR whisperlite universal, etc). You can burn anything in them - the isopro type fuel, white gas, kerosone, or even gasoline.
nucular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #19
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Like fatboy, I use mine to boil water only (tea, instant oatmeal, etc). There are better butane/propane combo stoves for cooking on but the only other thing I normally use the Jetboil for is heating a can of soup and that works if watched. It is the go to stove for this rider because it is complete and compact enough considering that my other stoves need a kettle or pot. I use the small fuel canister for storage (in the bug out bag) but will carry a larger one to actually use on trips.

BTW the French press attachment works but barely...we use a GSI Personal Javapress instead. The Titanium Jetboil is my preferred kit as it does not retain the tastes of anything cooked in it. If I want to reduce weight, reduce the flame, or find fuel just about anywhere the kit is an alcohol stove, like this, with full on White Lightning for fuel (multi purpose don't ya know).
Old 08-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
2aRover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Optimus Crux

I have a JetBoil and love it, but my Optimus Crux out performs it, especially in cooler weather. Get the kit with the pot for maximum efficiency.

I've used a JetBoil, Crux, and Asoto Microregulator at Philmont Scout Ranch, and the Crux worked best overall.
2aRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #21
DestroyThis
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Ghillie Kettle

Hello,

As a left field suggestion how about one of these:

http://www.ghillie-kettle.co.uk/

Or the US site:

http://www.ghilliekettles.com/

They can run on anything that burns, are very light and come in a few different sizes.
DestroyThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #22
xit109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Jetboil

Love mine. Used it on several camping trips and take it even when the whole family goes and we have a stove. Picked up a few extra canisters from the vendors section last year.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #23
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestroyThis View Post
Hello,

As a left field suggestion how about one of these:

http://www.ghillie-kettle.co.uk/

Or the US site:

http://www.ghilliekettles.com/

They can run on anything that burns, are very light and come in a few different sizes.
I have a small wood burning stove that I sometimes carry, as a fire is fun to have and play with. I made it from a doubled walled thermos. But it wouldn't be my go too for boiling water. I have an MSR whisperlite international that's fantastic and can boil water quickly once the initial priming/heating is complete, and it's great for cooking and simmering. I also have several variations of the small alcohol stoves.

The 7 buck fleabay stove that takes the same butane cannisters as the jetboil works great as well for your basic heating needs and packs as small as two boxes of matches.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #24
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,384
Cool2

Jetboil is fine, they work as advertised but you can't store a generic cylinder inside so you're stuck buying theirs. They're plastic and as such both of my riding buddies that have them broke them first time out, the plastic on the pot also means you can't use it over a fire. I chose a Primus ETA Express, it boils just as fast, it's all metal and nests with generic cylinders that can be bought anywhere. Depending where and how long your trips are the generic cylinder thing an be pretty handy.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #25
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,634
I have a JB but found the regular pot to be too larger for one person (don't need 1 liter of coffee in the AM) so I bought the Sol cup and it's perfect.

TN makes a good point about the canister sizing though. If I was going hiking I think I'd get an alcohol stove and use the Sol cup with flux ring attached for more efficiency.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #26
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,108
Coleman Micro Peak 1

Needs a wind screen but won't break the bank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqRUp7MUlTU

Not my review.
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #27
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Jetboil is fine, they work as advertised but you can't store a generic cylinder inside so you're stuck buying theirs. They're plastic and as such both of my riding buddies that have them broke them first time out, the plastic on the pot also means you can't use it over a fire. I chose a Primus ETA Express, it boils just as fast, it's all metal and nests with generic cylinders that can be bought anywhere. Depending where and how long your trips are the generic cylinder thing an be pretty handy.

Agreed.

The Eta Express is far more versatile and durable than the Jetboil in my experience with both. It simmers better with more evenly distributed heat, the non-stick coating makes it easier to clean. Being able to use standard sized cylinders is a big deal when on long adventures, it's the difference between needing to carry extra fuel outside the unit or not.
The ability to place it directly in a fire or on coals to cook/boil water saving fuel is awesome and the mini frying pan that is the lid is also very useful.

Since the OP is looking to just boil water a Jetboil would be OK for that purpose, but at the same time is looking for a "rugged" stove kit that costs less so my answer would be the Eta Express too.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #28
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 268
eBay and amazon has two type of cheap (<$10) of the butane. The 3" ultralight that is pretty much good for boiling water or this one

ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #29
meatwitheyes
Bon Vivant

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb223 View Post
Coleman Micro Peak 1

Needs a wind screen but won't break the bank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqRUp7MUlTU

Not my review.

+1 Coleman Micro Peak 1....

I've had one for four or five years. I picked it up at a 2nd hand shop for $10. Just a basic stove, always works, never let me down. Has a descent adjustable flame and gets plenty hot.

The Taciturn Misanthropist... Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
All education is liberalizing
meatwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #30
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Got the Jetboil 5 years ago, havent looked back.