Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
Sammax
Unconfused

Oddometer: 183
About a year ago a friend turned me on to this walkie talkie riding by giving me a Scala Q2. Being able to talk on the rides just got a whole lot better- a new dimension to riding. He just moved away.

I show up to a group ride this past weekend and no one has Scala. Two other riders had Sena. Well Sena and Scala don't talk. As I plan to ride with these guys more in the future I am a now $100 poorer and a new SMH5 owner.

Someone please don't tell me there is another popular manuf out there..... this is getting expensive.
Sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
Woodcock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
On my sena I just plug in 2 doggles on a splitter from earphone jack off radio. Then we Both have wireless music
Woodcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #18
mexipike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Scala vs Sena

Thanks for turning me on to the Q1 and the Q3 from Cardo. These may do exactly what I want.

Obviously I don't want to spend more money, but I'm sure I could sell my Sena and move on to the Cardo.

I remember when I bought the Sena years ago that many people on here liked it better. What advantages does the Sena have over the Cardo? I do like the big knob/button, but what else. Is the sound quality better on one or the other? Is the upgradeable firmware better?

What do you think? Should I ditch Sena for Cardo Q3 (or Q1 if I decide to cheap out and give up the idea of talking to other riders, which I've never really done.) It'd be nice not to have the sm10 to add to my devices to tie to my bars, but I suppose the Sm10 gives me the option to add hardwired, non bluetooth devices.
mexipike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #19
aGremlin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammax View Post
Someone please don't tell me there is another popular manuf out there..... this is getting expensive.
Yes, there are others

However, with three of you owning Sena, now you can convince them to switch
Old 08-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexipike View Post
Thanks for turning me on to the Q1 and the Q3 from Cardo. These may do exactly what I want.

Obviously I don't want to spend more money, but I'm sure I could sell my Sena and move on to the Cardo.

I remember when I bought the Sena years ago that many people on here liked it better. What advantages does the Sena have over the Cardo? I do like the big knob/button, but what else. Is the sound quality better on one or the other? Is the upgradeable firmware better?

What do you think? Should I ditch Sena for Cardo Q3 (or Q1 if I decide to cheap out and give up the idea of talking to other riders, which I've never really done.) It'd be nice not to have the sm10 to add to my devices to tie to my bars, but I suppose the Sm10 gives me the option to add hardwired, non bluetooth devices.
Sena and Scala appear to be the two most popular units here on ADV which is also an advantage as you are more likely to run into other riders with one of those 2 setups. I had the Scala Q2's early on when they first came out and they worked great, just lacked features we wanted like BT music streaming which was added later in the Q2 pro model. What turned me off of the Scala was the G4 model which my Dad picked up to talk to us with and it didn't work nearly as well as we expected. I think the G4 was a bit of a "weak" model for Scala. They quickly ditched it and went on to the G9 and now have the newer Q1 & Q3 models which effectively replace the older Q2 teamset and Q2 multilrider.

As far as communication goes, I don't think you can go wrong with either company. Both manufactures have the communication part down pretty good and they work. It really comes down to other features, form factor of the units, support from the company and firmware updates.

I personally think that Sena has shown with the SMH10 that they listen to suggestions on their support page and they have added so many features to the SMH10 since it first was introduced over 3 years ago. The form factor of the SMH10 with the jog dial is also my favorite over the button type setup Scala uses. On the other hand, the Q1 & Q3 are pretty new to the market in the past year with new hardware, so they have the advantaged of adding in new features that just aren't possible on the SMH10 with the current hardware present on that unit.

If the Q1/Q3 have the features you are looking for, then sell the SMH10 and grab it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #21
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcock View Post
On my sena I just plug in 2 doggles on a splitter from earphone jack off radio. Then we Both have wireless music
That's definitely a cheap way to accomplish 2 users listening to the same music without the SM10 added in!

BT A2DP transmitter dongles are cheap!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #22
MelissaToBeMe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
That's definitely a cheap way to accomplish 2 users listening to the same music without the SM10 added in!

BT A2DP transmitter dongles are cheap!
Agreed! Great workaround mexipike, haven't seen that one before but makes perfect sense
MelissaToBeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #23
mexipike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the credit but I think woodcock had that idea.

I thought of that before, and I guess for some reason forgot again.

In other news, I ordered a q1. Will keep the sena for a while and see if I like the cardo better. Went for a ride with my gf yesterday and nearly all aspects of the music/talk situation worked but it was still quite fidgety.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #24
mexipike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got the Q1, still sucks

So I may have gotten a defective unit, so that could be the problem, but that sucks too!

The music sharing on the Q1 does work pretty well, except you can't switch easily back from talking to music without having to resend the music to the passenger every time. Ideally you could just press the intercom button, talk, press again and the music would be back for rider and passenger not just rider.

For whatever reason the communication part of this unit I got is really terrible. Half of the time I can only hear half of sentences from my passenger. It kind of garbles and is really fuzzy when I can hear her. Tried moving the mic around but no help there either. So I may have gotten a defective unit, so that could be the problem, but that sucks too!

So much time spent messing around with this stuff, nothing seems to just work.

It seems like a very common thing to want- two people ride on a motorcycle together and enjoy listening to the same music while being able to talk here and there.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #25
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,121
Quote:
It seems like a very common thing to want- two people ride on a motorcycle together and enjoy listening to the same music while being able to talk here and there.
Why not just stream music independently to each other? I know I wouldn't want to listen to the same music as my wife.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #26
mexipike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We like to listen to the same music, just our preference.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #27
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
We like to listen to the same music, just our preference.
Why don't you buy a SMH5 kit and put the same playlist on each of your phones (or whatever Bluetooth music device you have) and be done with it?

Is it THAT important to listen the same song at the same time?!

Damn you seem to like to complicate the whole process just for the fun of it.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #28
Sammax
Unconfused

Oddometer: 183
Now that I have both Scala and Sena, the first thing that comes to mind is the jog dial on the Sena is the bomb! WTH was Scala thinking putting push buttons on something you can't see and wearing gloves at that. Yea I know, it still works though.
Sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #29
Karlfitt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
I just looked at the Cardo Q3 and it seems to do everything I want. That said, I've set my Sena up to do that to, so for now I'm all good. I like the one button design of Sena much better than cardo's setup.

Didn't mean for this thread to be a knock on Sena, just on how much money it takes to get things to do what I want. But I'm a needy little bitch, aren't I?

I just bought the Cardo Q3, and it does do all of these things, IF you music device is Blue tooth as well.

I replaced an AutoCom wired system that did all of this, but with wires.
Only reason I replaced the Autocom is I now have two bikes to switch the intercom between, that is a pain.
The helmet mounted blue tooth fixes that.

Having said that, the sound quality is better with the autocom, so I f you can put up with wires, and don't want to move it. They work well.
Karlfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #30
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Sena just released firmware update 4.3 beta for the SMH10. - http://senabluetooth.com/sena-releas...sion-4-3-beta/

The firmware update notes - http://senabluetooth.com/wp-content/...ware-Notes.pdf

Looks like software update has added music sharing between headsets without the need for the SM10

It also added speed dialing!

And just think, we didn't have to buy any new hardware to get these new features.

Instead of abandoning current hardware after only a year or two and and moving on to new hardware, Sena just keeps updating their current headsets and keeping their current customers happy. Wow what a concept! How many Scala headsets would you have to own at this point to keep up with all these new features that Sena has added to the same headsets that have been in production for 3-4 years now.