Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #18151
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwapios View Post
Is there anything I should look for on the bike that would be a smoking gun for future problems?
:)
welcome

honestly, for me over the years the best sign of how a bike has been treated is what the owner is like. If he is a jackass, he probably was a jackass to the bike and vice versa.
You'll know if has been stored outside of any length of time - that would be an indicator as well.... that's really no that many miles though for as old as it is.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #18152
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
welcome

honestly, for me over the years the best sign of how a bike has been treated is what the owner is like. If he is a jackass, he probably was a jackass to the bike and vice versa.
You'll know if has been stored outside of any length of time - that would be an indicator as well.... that's really no that many miles though for as old as it is.
+1

If it was me I'd change the oil day one and then go ride it. No maintenance history sounds like you should get a good deal too.
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #18153
Ace_Cafe_Rat
Rogue Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
I am having a helluva time deciding on tires for my '08. I need them for wet and dry commuting, cold and warm. I would like to see more fire roads, gravel, etc....but I am in the city so getting there on pavement is a must and I still need to find more non-paved roads to explore. I have ridden gravel on my current set of damn near bald stock tires and it honestly wasnt too bad until I had to brake, haha.

I would guess I need something like a Distanzia...? I want to buy tires tomorrow but I am still undecided.
Over the nearly 17K miles I have on mine I have owned Distanzias, TKC-80s, and Heidenau K-60s. The TKC-80s were the best off-pavement but wore out fast. The Distanzias were the best on paved roads. The Heidenaus are the best overall by far.

Ace Cafe Rat

Hoban "Wash" Washburne - Firefly & Serenity
Ace_Cafe_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #18154
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rPaul View Post
+1

If it was me I'd change the oil day one and then go ride it. No maintenance history sounds like you should get a good deal too.
I went to look at an SV1000 once in Long Beach and the owner guy jumped on the bike in flips and shorts with no helmet and raced down the road, locked up the rear tire sliding through a stop sign.
I just walked away. That was the best illustration one could possibly hope for when determining how the bike has been treated for the tenure of its owner.
Quote:
Old 08-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #18155
hwapios
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
welcome
Unfortunately is is a trade in at a dealer and i dont' have the information to make a judgment call on the previous owner :(

Any other thoughts?
hwapios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #18156
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Unfortunately is is a trade in at a dealer and i dont' have the information to make a judgment call on the previous owner :(

Any other thoughts?
just look at the bike carefully. it will be apparent if it's had a hard life for 7k miles. if it's been taken care of, that will be apparent..... and these bikes aren't purchased by stunters and punk kids so I think it's a relatively safe bet.
It's not a GSXR with 48k miles!
Quote:
Old 08-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #18157
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boola-Boola View Post
Hey - Thanks for the nice comments.

gseur - I like the look of the Arrow, I fancied a change in appearance as I've had the Scram five years now and went to single seat/rack and Arrow (dualseat refitted for this trip though) for a revised look, but I definately preferred the sound of the twin exhausts with TOR's myself. The Arrow is much quieter than TOR's when it's baffle/db-killer is in, but quite a bit louder with it out. TORs were loud enough - just right. I've modified a spare baffle to get a bit more 'presence' to the sound, which has improved it but still quieter than TORs. Character or envelope shape of sound is different too from Arrow. The others here 'chez Boola' say they can't recognise the sound when I ride home now as it just sounds like 'a bike' whereas they found it unique sounding and instantly recognisable with the TORs. Will go back to TOR's sometime for sound as I kept the twin system hence have the choice for future. Arrow quite a bit lighter. Didn't realise how much until I was cleaning the TOR's, still mounted together on their bracket, before storing them - pair of TOR mufflers and bracket seem to weigh as much as whole Arrow system, but I didn't weigh to compare.

Cheers,
BB
Thanks Boola for the infos.
For me the Tor's are too loud. The original ones with baflectomie are quite ok. But heavy.

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #18158
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by gseur View Post
Thanks Boola for the infos.
For me the Tor's are too loud. The original ones with baflectomie are quite ok. But heavy.
I bought my Scrambler with standard exhaust, I bought TOR's & ran them but was never happy (too loud) would change between the standard & TOR's until I bought a Thruxton with Staintunes....ended up getting Staintunes for the Scrambler & wish I had done it 4 years ago... sounds great & not too loud.

Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #18159
geezfools
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:

Any other thoughts?
what are they asking for the bike?
geezfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #18160
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrutt View Post
Also, has anyone retrofitted the bonnie front fender for better protection? I'd like to fit a more full cover fender but mounted a litter higher off the tire. Don't want as much crap slung up on the motor and rider as you would get with the short fender fitted as stock. I plan on doing a LOT of gravel and dirt roads and 2 track riding with this.
Hey Irutt, had another thought regarding mounting a Scrambler fender higher - I think you could put spacers between the fender mounting bracket and the fender to move it slightly higher than stock. Should be inexpensive and easy to do and might provide you with what you are looking for.

Good luck with your hunt for an '06, they are out there...
grebmrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #18161
Kiwi Mo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Has anybody fitted the attached headlight.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190807850...84.m1438.l2649
Kiwi Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #18162
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 457
2006 Scram

Mine today

oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #18163
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Hurray and congratulations!! Love that color combo
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #18164
Ctscrambler
2010 Scrambler Black

Oddometer: 37
Wink Sharp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldroadie View Post
Mine today

Wow, really looks great, especially with the solo seat and black pipes! Has its own personality for sure!
Ctscrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #18165
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldroadie View Post
Mine today...
Well bought
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote