User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
SpeedyR OP
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 732
alpinestar BNS brace and pressure suit?

since I'm taking the plunge and have been considering a neck brace for a while just thought I'd see if any other inmates have considered or are using a brace for ADV riding?

my usual ADV riding is much more off road oriented and i'll use the system on my 450 in the woods but just wanted to see if folks were using it for DS rides or street use?

I ended up going with the Astars unit partially because a plate in my collarbone doesn't like to have anything sitting/rubbing on it, and the alpinestar BNS seems to ride just above it. Also I love my 661 pressure suit and didn't want to go back to an external chest protector. so the alpinestar suit/BNS it was. I did look at Leatt and Atlas as well.

so any feedback on using it on the street or more dual sport use? mobility to look next to you and behind you? rubbing after a few hours in the saddle? all day comfort? anything else to consider? I know eventually I may need to look for a jacket to work with it if I like it for most riding but for now most of my riding I tend to just wear standard off road riding gear (klim dakar pants, evs knee braces, tcx moto boots, 661 pressure suit, jersey, and shoei vfx-W moto helmet w/ goggles. On a rare occasion I'll throw a vest on over the gear if it's raining or more street stuff or really cold (at least GA cold)...
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 212
I wear my leatt brace pretty much all of the time with either the 3df or the adventurer body protector. Doesn't seem to matter whether it's across town or long multi days in the saddle the only time I'm aware of it at all is when I am putting it on or removing it.

I really like the way the leatt brace and pressure suits fit together, it makes things easy and comfortable.

I bought the $200 leatt jacket that goes over the brace, the collar that fits over the brace is well designed and works great, the rest of jacket didn't seem so great, I used it on a couple of long multi state rides.

I pack real light and it would need to be functional as raingear "it's not" for me to justify the room it takes up. My brace works well over the top of the same grunden rainjacket that has served me well for many many years and rolls to the size of a grapefruit when I'm not wearing it.

I think the day will come when braces are as common as helmets, I originally only used it for the short track riding but had a holy hell of an amazingly close call with a free range horse at about 70 one sunny morning and have worn it since.
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
SpeedyR OP
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 732
that's kind of what I was thinking/hoping. I started wearing knee braces a few years ago after spending a lot of time with people who have had knee problems over the years from not wearing braces and now have to wear them. AFter a while I just feel neekid riding without full boots, braces, etc. on. I am assuming that I'll get used to the feel of it and just not notice it any more, similar to riding without my knee braces. when I ride to work and wear my overpants and other "standard' gear, I feel like I'm riding in shorts or something.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote