Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
2low2go OP
Banned

Oddometer: 10
How long do/did your waterproof boots stay waterproof?

When riding in rain, how long till water seeps through?
Over the years, how long till the waterproof membrane fails?
What boot do/did you wear?
2low2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,429
Oxtar Matrix (Gore-Tex): water never seeps in and the membrane hasn't failed in 7 years.
Sidi On-Road Gore-Tex: water never seeps in and the membrane hasn't failed in 2+ years.

Before that it was just work boots and Totes rubber covers.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Dr Martens EH Wellingtons - I go through a pair every 18 months as everyday boots/riding boots. Never leaked no matter how long in the rain.

Forma GT riding boots - ridden is some pretty heavy rain for hours on end. Never leaked, not even a drop. Had them about 18 months and they have about 15k miles on them.

Neither have zippers or laces and both are waterproof from the outside, not from a liner.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Had some Gaerne sport-touring waterproof boots (now discontinued). They were waterproof for about 3 years before the dry-tech membrane gave out. I will not buy another "waterproof" boot unless it was made with a Gore-tex membrane.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
2low2go OP
Banned

Oddometer: 10
Do your gore-tex boots end up smelling when it's really hot and sweaty? Or do you wear different boots for that weather. I'm looking for a single do-it-all boot (who isn't rite?)
2low2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
My Sidi Canyons have lasted almost 30K miles and they survived a 70mph crash. I had to replace the buckles, but they are still intact and still waterproof and breathable. I still wear them. I don't like walking in them, though. No arch support, anymore. I'll have to get some insoles.

As for smell, they never got too bad on hot days. I never once took them off and thought, "Phew!! What a stench!"

For a do-it-all, I love the Canyons. Good protection without being over the top like an Adventure or Discovery, truly waterproof, and warm in the cold but cool in the heat.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,320
My TCX Infinity boots are still 100% waterproof after four years and maybe 40k miles with minimal care on my part. Awesome boots.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Axo Stivali : the first rain a week after i bought it. Only leaks on the left boot. The right side remains dry, so i blame it to poor QC that one got away.

Forma GT : bought it used, as i was looking forward to try out this boot before buying a brand new one. This pair is a year old and only used for road touring, nothing offroad, and went through a few rains without leak - as claimed by the previous owner.

Rather than waiting for the rain, i wore it and stepped into a nearby creek, about 3-4 inch deep of water. Well, it leaked at the front and bottom of feet, and the wetness is telling pretty quick. Probably i can forgive it given the fact that it is a used pair, however it is enough to tell me that whatever membrane it has, IT HAS FAILED over time.

So once i wear off this two boots, i'll put my money into a pair of goretex boots and see if it is as good as has been said.
andrewhtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
I wear red wing engineer boots.

Never a problem in the wet, actually in the heat because my feet are by the collectors it's not bad.

However no stiff protection/armor....

I drive a train so when I have to run, well I have to run, and have to pick the best of both worlds. Stiff bike boots won't cut it.

Open to ideas on high wear comfy boots. The red wings are ok but not great.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:52 AM   #10
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,645
Bluhduh Both ways... need drain hole.

Mine leaked when the water (creek) was over the top of the boot.... took 3 days to dry out. Still water proof .. even when the water is on the inside.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #11
Avispao
Hornet 900 Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Alpinestars Web Goretex, 9yo, 25k mi., water never seeps in and the membrane hasn't failed.
Avispao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
CanyonRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
In my seemingly endless search for the perfect boot, I've decided (for me) there is no such thing. I find Gore-Tex and other waterproof solutions too hot most of the time and less the 100% waterproof when I really need them. Consistent with the theory that dual-purpose anything rarely excels at either, I decided to divide and conquer by combining really comfortable boots with really waterproof overboots.

I wear Vendramini Aero Air-Tex Boots. They are light, comfortable, well-ventilated, easy on/off, can walk around in them and offer some level of support and protection.

http://www.helmetheadcycle.com/produ...-air-tex-boots

I carry TREDS Waterproof Motorcycle Rain Boots that I can slip on with the rest of my rain gear when the weather turns ugly. Absolutely, completely waterproof.

http://www.treds.com/products/waterp...cle-rain-boot/

Comfort when I want it (which is most of the time), waterproof when I need it (only occasionally). Works for me.
CR
CanyonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #13
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,933
About 12 years and running.

They are not riding boots as such. They're a military work boot, gortex, but also wear them around the house to yard work, the garage etc. I can ride all day in them in any temp and can wear them all day around the yard. Other than a few scuffs they're holding out great

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,152
Sidi On-Road Sympatex -- 12, 13 years? I forget exactly, but I love em.

Not a great boot in terms of protection (no armor at all), but all day comfy and all day dry.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2low2go View Post
Do your gore-tex boots end up smelling when it's really hot and sweaty? Or do you wear different boots for that weather. I'm looking for a single do-it-all boot (who isn't rite?)
I'm too scared to smell mine, but I do wear thin polypropylene socks, to maximize wicking.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote