Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #406
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,216
I read somewhere that high speed on pavement kills them, likely so, ive done quite a bit of interstate travel in the last 2 months, and it has started to degrade faster.

yep $105.88 at chapparal racing.
that is 3.6 cents / mile ( I think ..) terrible at math

Ill order another one, AND a vee rubber vrm 163

leave the vrm on for commuting and traveling, and the big block for playing, that seems like it should last a while.

( I have a spare rear wheel)

tck80 on the front... they go 7000 miles, and work well everywhere for me.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #407
CTDan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
I bought a set about a year ago and finally got around to mounting them. This is the first time I have done a tire change without taking the bike to a shop...
Wow,,, I used a " no-mar" but it was not a " no- sweat"!!!
I guess seeing the post' that say its a hard tire to mount make me feel better, but I REALLY struggled with it.
I added no weights and I get a little vibration above 70, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

My question is; I bought these to run over Engineers pass and some other stuff in that area. Can anyone suggest a good tire pressure for the off road and on road segments?

I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

They are mounted on an 08 GSA that will be lightly loaded.
CTDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #408
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATERTIMEDAN View Post
I bought a set about a year ago and finally got around to mounting them. This is the first time I have done a tire change without taking the bike to a shop...
Wow,,, I used a " no-mar" but it was not a " no- sweat"!!!
I guess seeing the post' that say its a hard tire to mount make me feel better, but I REALLY struggled with it.
I added no weights and I get a little vibration above 70, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

My question is; I bought these to run over Engineers pass and some other stuff in that area. Can anyone suggest a good tire pressure for the off road and on road segments?

I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

They are mounted on an 08 GSA that will be lightly loaded.
Considering the weight, I wouldn't go much under 20lbs on the rear and definitely would stay above 20psi on the front for dirt. I will admit they are a stiff tire and they don't need as much pressure as some tires but that's alot of weight and in rocky terrain I would be more worried about my rims and pinch type punctures than ultimate traction. I've run the Big Blocks as low as 12psi on the rear and around 15 on the front with no issues when testing in some sand but there is no way I would run that low in rocky terrian.

On tarmac, I ran them pretty high {high 30s/low 40s on my DL650} in an effort to get them to last to not much avail. Since your bike weighs a bit more and you have alot more torque, I would experiment with a few psi more but if such high pressures bug you,,,,, don't worry too much about as I don't think anything you do will have alot of difference on how fast these tire wear.

If I were doing alot of both {tarmac and dirt} I just left the rear around 25 and the front around 28.

Unless Kenda decides to use a more durable compound, I will not be running another on the rear. I would rather deal with a bit less traction off tarmac than deal with 2-3K mile tire life. The front, I can deal with and if you run a Big Block with a Shinko 705 the two will wear at roughly the same rate if playing hard.

Have fun, be safe.
Blue Skies Coming

Jud screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 11:34 PM
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #409
CTDan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Thank you.

I really appreciate the reply.

Dan
CTDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #410
KLR Clown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
2034.5 miles from Oregon to Minneapolis, mostly paved roads with as much gravel as possible. The D606's have about another 4k miles left on them. Both on loaded KLR's

KLR Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #411
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,929
According to this article - http://www.overlandexpo.com/overland...adventure.html

Kenda has revamped the rear Big Block tire for more mileage, but I think it was a mistake they didn't give it a new name or version 2 as I think the damage has been done for the name and knowing how bad their mileage is. It apparently has some subtle differences from the first version, but probably not apparent to the casual observer and only really noticeable if you measure the tread or have both versions sitting side by side.

Quote:
Tire review: Big Block Adventure
Date: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 At 8:17AM by Bret Tkacs, for Adventure Motorcycle Magazine

In early 2012, Kenda released the Big Block Adventure tire to compete in the emerging big-bike knobby market. ADVMoto put a set of Big Blocks to the test on the back trails of Baja, Mexico, and then continued north up the west coast to Washington state. Back then, the Big Blocks were good performers, and on par with the competition, but lacked mileage and shed their skins faster than other big-bike knobbies we’re accustomed to, such as the TKC80 and Metzler Karroo. Kenda took note of this and their engineers worked over the Big Block with a revised tread pattern and new compound.

The casual eye won’t see the difference, as the tread pattern looks very similar. The only way we could tell they were the new tires was by measuring the space between the tread blocks. The newer tires have a block pattern slightly tighter, which puts more rubber to the road/trail.

We recently mounted up our fresh set of tires and headed off to Moab to put them to the test. After riding 800 miles of jeep trails and gravel roads, as well as over 2,000 miles of pavement on our loaded test bike, the Big Blocks were still holding out.

The bottom line is that Kenda has a winner with good off-road performance, good street manners, and mileage that equals the competition. Highly recommended.

Pros:
  • Still a top performer off-road
  • Performs well for a knobby on the street
  • Improved mileage over earlier version
  • Price point winner
Cons:
  • Less prestige than big name brands (ego)
  • Like all big bike knobbies it has a short life span (equal to other knobbies, though)
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #412
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,466
I may be getting another rear Big Block soon, mine has about had it.
Trying to get the rest of the season out of it, don't think it's going to make it tho.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #413
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
According to this article - http://www.overlandexpo.com/overland...adventure.html

Kenda has revamped the rear Big Block tire for more mileage, but I think it was a mistake they didn't give it a new name or version 2 as I think the damage has been done for the name and knowing how bad their mileage is. It apparently has some subtle differences from the first version, but probably not apparent to the casual observer and only really noticeable if you measure the tread or have both versions sitting side by side.
That's good to know as I was quite put off by the crappy mileage. If they cold at least match the TKCs at a lower price I'd be happy. I have a TKC on my spare rear and I need to find a spare front. Keep your eyes open for me.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #414
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,731
I just put a new rear Big Block on my KTM and have only been out a couple of times with it. No idea if I have the new or old rubber compound, but last time out included some damp pavement and the rear was scary slick on that during braking, cornering and acceleration. Nothing like the BB I had on my GSA a couple of years ago, so maybe this will be as rock hard as a Heidenau K60 and get unreal mileage. Time will tell.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #415
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
That's good to know as I was quite put off by the crappy mileage. If they cold at least match the TKCs at a lower price I'd be happy. I have a TKC on my spare rear and I need to find a spare front. Keep your eyes open for me.
I just picked up a spare front. I'll keep an eye out though if I hear of another.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #416
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
I have 1500-2000 miles on my Big Blocks, no issues so far. Mix of pavement and dirt, good grip in the dirt, decent on the pavement.

They do howl at speeds over 70mph, but every knobbie will. I'd estimate I have at least 50% left on the rear...
Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #417
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
I just put a new rear Big Block on my KTM and have only been out a couple of times with it. No idea if I have the new or old rubber compound, but last time out included some damp pavement and the rear was scary slick on that during braking, cornering and acceleration. Nothing like the BB I had on my GSA a couple of years ago, so maybe this will be as rock hard as a Heidenau K60 and get unreal mileage. Time will tell.
Mine were a little slick at first in the wet, but after a bit they were really good for what they are.
Hope they didn't make them that hard, I'll give up tread life for traction and not be a bit mad about it.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #418
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

I don't mind a bit if the rear has a fairly hard compound. Any time I mount up a new to me tire I slowly work up to it's limits both wet and dry. Like I said, a hard rear will slide and slide controllably and the harder it is, the sooner it will reach it's limits and will be easier to save when it does slide. Saying that,,,, I don't like sliding the front too much and prefer a softer compound for the front. The rear giving me some warning before the front is a perfect scenario for me. Since I got around 5-6K outta my front and something like 2-2.5 outta my rear,,,, I sincerely hope they made the rears a lot harder and don't mind a bit if I give up some traction on the tarmac. It's a DL,,,, not a Gixxer.
Blue Skies Coming