ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #30796
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
When I got my full suspension 29er, I HAD to get a hitch mount rack due to the non diamond shaped frame not working with traditional racks. I got the Softride Versa because it is one of the few that works with the side swing tailgate of the RAV4, making loading and unloading easier. Plus it works with any kind (or size)of bike. It has been a great unit. Sounds like your mind is made up, but that's my 2 cents in case you want a hitch mount.
Good advice, but looks like they don't make that specific rack anymore anyway. I don't forecast getting any non-diamond frame bikes in the near future but it is something to think about!
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #30797
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat
 
Schnickelfritz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Edge of the glacier
Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
FWIW, i've got plenty-thousands of miles on Campy Record 10-spd with a Wippermann (Connex?) link, with no trouble whatsoever. (beat the heck out of the goofy system Campy had,...)
+1. I have five Campy 10-speed bikes, all with Wippermann Connex chains. Plenty strong, easy removal, sweet shifting, and way cheaper than the Campy equivalent. Oh, look, they're on sale for $30 at comp cyclist for the plain steel. Looks like Jenson has some deals, too. I use the nickel steel (10S8 model +$10). Prices up to $100+ for full stainless.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #30798
ericm
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Hey Gummee! What is the best source for affordable spokes?

Bike Hub Store has good prices on Sapim spokes. I prefer them to DTs or Wheelsmith as they seem to not break as easily.
BHS always seesm to have stuff in stock and ships quick.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #30799
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Good advice, but looks like they don't make that specific rack anymore anyway. I don't forecast getting any non-diamond frame bikes in the near future but it is something to think about!
Yeah, it was discontinued when I was shopping, so I scored a new in the box unit off ebay.

In other news, this week old sinus infection/crud is really getting old. Luckily, that old country church at mile 20 in BFE had a port a potty in front of it yesterday. The inside of the crapper must have been 120F... and it was a long s(h)it.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #30800
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,727
Didn't ride to work today and felt a little guilty about it, so I took the fast bike for a short ride after work. Decided to go after a Strava segment (I know I know ) near my house. I'd made a PR last time on it and thought I was cranking pretty good, but I didn't think I rode it as smart as I could. This time I attacked it a bit more thoughtfully, and today I beat my old record by 30 seconds! I couldn't believe it. Felt pretty good, and really makes me appreciate that Klein after slogging around on the Surly
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #30801
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 5,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post

For the hitch rack, well, I don't really see what the advantages are ...
For me, it's simple, it doesn't touch my vehicle paint, easier to lock to vehicle.



-

Michael
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #30802
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 5,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
hi 'Head!

FWIW, i've got plenty-thousands of miles on Campy Record 10-spd with a Wippermann (Connex?) link, with no trouble whatsoever. (beat the heck out of the goofy system Campy had,
I have 10+ year old 9 speed veloce that I converted to 10 speed with a new index disc, the stuff wears like nothing else, I only replace chains, my cassettes are all close to 6 years old





-

Michael
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #30803
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I have to stop looking at those off-roady Surlys... I love my Trucker and sometimes I think I'd like to try offroad bike riding, don't need another bike to spend money on though

Just put bigger tires on your LHT. I've seen people put 50's on it.
I've got Travel contacts on mine it'll go down any gravel road or root and rutted Muti Use Trail. I run 40's on mine.
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #30804
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 5,306
My X01 has 40s, makes for a nice ride

-

Michael
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #30805
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Just put bigger tires on your LHT. I've seen people put 50's on it.
I've got Travel contacts on mine it'll go down any gravel road or root and rutted Muti Use Trail. I run 40's on mine.
Thanks for the tip. I've still got the stock tires on mine, they do alright on loose surfaces but I have pondered some really massive tires.
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #30806
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Yeah, it was discontinued when I was shopping, so I scored a new in the box unit off ebay.

In other news, this week old sinus infection/crud is really getting old. Luckily, that old country church at mile 20 in BFE had a port a potty in front of it yesterday. The inside of the crapper must have been 120F... and it was a long s(h)it.
I had one two weeks ago and eradicated it with zero medication. I used the NielMed Sinus Rinse about 3 times per day to flush everything clean. Tip for post-flush; bend over like you are touching your toes and blow your nose to clear out any leftover saline. This is far and away improved over the Neti pot.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #30807
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Didn't ride to work today and felt a little guilty about it, so I took the fast bike for a short ride after work. Decided to go after a Strava segment (I know I know ) near my house. I'd made a PR last time on it and thought I was cranking pretty good, but I didn't think I rode it as smart as I could. This time I attacked it a bit more thoughtfully, and today I beat my old record by 30 seconds! I couldn't believe it. Felt pretty good, and really makes me appreciate that Klein after slogging around on the Surly
30 seconds? You must really have been dragging your ass the first time you rode it.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #30808
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I have to stop looking at those off-roady Surlys... I love my Trucker and sometimes I think I'd like to try offroad bike riding, don't need another bike to spend money on though
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Just put bigger tires on your LHT. I've seen people put 50's on it.
I've got Travel contacts on mine it'll go down any gravel road or root and rutted Muti Use Trail. I run 40's on mine.
I knew they'd take at least a 40, but, didn't realize a 2.0" would fit.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #30809
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
30 seconds? You must really have been dragging your ass the first time you rode it.
Yeah, I hadn't put much thought into previous attempts. The segment is a little over a mile long and starts relatively flat, then has a huge dip that goes up over an even bigger hill. I'd been getting myself psyched out by the big hill and didn't realize that going fast on the flat, then going warp speed down the hill and carrying enough momentum to crest the next hill at a decent speed was the way to do it. Figuring all that out cut 30 seconds off my old time. Small victories for internet racers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I knew they'd take at least a 40, but, didn't realize a 2.0" would fit.
I think Surly's website says it will take up to a 45. I was just looking at Rivendell's description of the Schwalbe Big Ben 50 and they measured it to be about 45, so I wonder if even that tire would fit. Personally, the Conti 37 I have on there right now seems about big enough
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #30810
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I think Surly's website says it will take up to a 45. I was just looking at Rivendell's description of the Schwalbe Big Ben 50 and they measured it to be about 45, so I wonder if even that tire would fit. Personally, the Conti 37 I have on there right now seems about big enough
Well, you want to leave room for mud and rocks to pass through. And, measure that 37 with a caliper and see what the actual measurement is. A lot of Conti's models are way narrower than labeled. A set of 32s measured ~27 and my current 42s measure ~37.

Edit: The Speed Ride at the bottom of their page is what I'm running.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015