Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #796
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav101 View Post
Took the twins out for a ride today. I gotta say though – given that the Grom is a ton of fun - it felt kind of slow after back to back rides.

Please excuse my opinions if they seem harsh – they’re just my opinions.

People believe the Grom was made for children and that is a mistake. It was made for big kids. I guess I’m one of those big kids. I’m 44, 225, 5’11” 32” inseam and I rode the thing practically all day breaking in. If you want to know what it’s like just picture yourself getting in the front car of a roller coaster. When riding facing straight ahead and ears level with the horizon all I see in front of me is the top ¼ of the mirrors. There is nothing in front of you and it feels like your superman flying in a sitting position.

I was nervous about all the talk about ergonomics but I have found the Grom quite comfortable for a mini. 30 minute rides through a variety of road twists, hills, slaloms, curves, and down hill whooshes leaves one exhilarated and not a bit sore or cramped up. Who is going to ride the Grom for longer than 30 minutes at a time? …people that take the bike way too seriously. I’m not one of those people. The Grom is a toy in every sense of the word. (The best toy – EVER!)

On flat roads I reached 55 mph easily enough but that’s about it. But who is going to ride the grom on flat roads? No one in their right mind. The bike slows to 50 mph climbing hills and speeds to 60 going down. It will go faster, I’m positively sure, but until I’m broken in I’m not letting the RPM’s get too high. I got the feeling you'd have to lay the Grom on it's side to touch a peg down - plenty of cornering goose bump inducing clearance.

I removed the seat strap for comfort and placed a washer under each metal seat hook to make popping the seat on and off easy. Moving around on the seat is easy and can offer one on a long boring highway drone another 30 minutes easily enough. Other than the battery tender pigtail I won’t be changing anything on the bike. It is what it is and it makes me grin whenever I set eyes on it. Cool little bike.

If you feel the need to justify owning a Grom and the need to defend your choice to own one – you care way too much about what others think. I signed my name for one with no deposit down and was told if I go the full 36 months I will end up paying a little less than $160.00 in total interest for the loan. Pffft… $160.00 is a night out at a Hockey Game… not too big a deal to me. $3426.85 OTD including state sales tax, dealer fees, registration, title, …everything. Maybe I could have done better but the bike is awfully new and I’m pleased.

And lastly if anyone is still reading this… The PCX150 can run circles around the Grom. I have one, I know. So if your on your Grom and you pull up to a PCX150 at the light and your about to go all Michael Andretti… save yourself some embarrassment... don’t get cocky.
good stuff. quoted for top of the page prominence

ANYWAY.....

i hate the term "toy" to describe most any motorcycle. i think it makes a bike sound childish and disposible. if thats how some want to view bikes and riding, fine. but i have a hard time thinking to myself "time to hop on my TOY today and go to work!!"

i mean wtf?

thats just a pet peeve of mine. our children have TOYS. let them

i also think it makes bikes sound like you can just treat them however you want and disrespect the riding part, which is dangerous. at least where i ride

if it were a toy, i'd be splattered all over the place

this GROM can be rode on city streets. it is NO TOY!

DudeClone screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 09:27 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #797
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
HAHAHA I agree, you can't disrespect the responsibility of riding in the streets. But after getting off the bike pictured behind it? A TOY!

Context.

Ok, I concede... but can we agree at least to call it a Big Boy Toy?
Dav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #798
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

ok BIG BOY TOY it is

like i said, just a pet peeve. i think riding is FUN. so, there 'ya go

a rider should never, ever take him or herself too seriously. even if SOME of us look at bikes as less toy and more....life and DEATH MACHINE!!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #799
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

creepy grom

Grom....is watching

Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #800
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Awesome.

To me it looks like a puppy that wants to be let in.
Dav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #801
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

wow Dav101 you've got a great disposition. i was thinking more along the lines of "Grom Of Sam"
Old 08-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #802
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,883
Perhaps it's semantics but I feel it is more.

I do not think of my bikes or scoots as toys regardless of how much fun I have on them. To me the are a form of transportation. For several years in college and law school they were my only means of transport. From 2009 until 2012 I only had scoots. ( my wife owned a car ).

I would own a 125 scoot and use it for errands and riding for fun. I wouldn't own a tiny motorcycle that looks like something from a Shriner parade.

If you want one, buy one. As I keep saying- the more small displacement bikes/ scoots sold, the better for all of us.

You guys have your opinions, I have mine. No one is right, no one is wrong.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:11 AM   #803
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,462
If you ride it to work it's transportation. If you have fun on it it's a toy. Why can't it be both?

Or as someone else coined it; transportainment

BTW, great writeup DAV101

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #804
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

So Dav101, who owns one, also says its a toy in every sense of the word. But, he also states that no one would ride it for more than 30 minutes. That surprised me. He said he felt ok when he got off so we don't know why he feels that is the case. Perhaps he will elaborate.

If I lived in the mountains, I could see riding one for a few hours, tearing ass around curves at 35 mph (remember I'm old). I can't think of much else. ( I had a Bajaj 150 manual scoot once. I could rev it up and ride around town leaning hard and sounding like a little race machine and never break 40 mph. Lol. Unfortunately I had to fix it more than ride it. )

Those of you who have one on order or want one, what do you see using it for? Anyone thinking of commuting? Perhaps hoping to make a light trail bike out of it? Anyone see it as their sole bike?
Old 08-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #805
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
Grom....is watching

Very nice pic!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #806
easternshorebiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
I removed the seat strap for comfort and placed a washer under each metal seat hook to make popping the seat on and off easy. Moving around on the seat is easy and can offer one on a long boring highway drone another 30 minutes easily enough. Other than the battery tender pigtail I won’t be changing anything on the bike. It is what it is and it makes me grin whenever I set eyes on it. Cool little bike.
Nice writeup. I should try the washed modification to the seat. Any downside to this? Does it make it loose at all?
easternshorebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:07 AM   #807
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
If you ride it to work it's transportation. If you have fun on it it's a toy. Why can't it be both?

Or as someone else coined it; transportainment

BTW, great writeup DAV101

Transportainment! .

If Sym or Kymco don't grab that and start using it in their ads, they are nuts!

Right up there with Vespanomics!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:07 AM   #808
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Quote:
Took the twins out for a ride today. I gotta say though – given that the Grom is a ton of fun - it felt kind of slow after back to back rides.

Please excuse my opinions if they seem harsh – they’re just my opinions.

People believe the Grom was made for children and that is a mistake. It was made for big kids. I guess I’m one of those big kids. I’m 44, 225, 5’11” 32” inseam and I rode the thing practically all day breaking in. If you want to know what it’s like just picture yourself getting in the front car of a roller coaster. When riding facing straight ahead and ears level with the horizon all I see in front of me is the top ¼ of the mirrors. There is nothing in front of you and it feels like your superman flying in a sitting position.

I was nervous about all the talk about ergonomics but I have found the Grom quite comfortable for a mini. 30 minute rides through a variety of road twists, hills, slaloms, curves, and down hill whooshes leaves one exhilarated and not a bit sore or cramped up. Who is going to ride the Grom for longer than 30 minutes at a time? …people that take the bike way too seriously. I’m not one of those people. The Grom is a toy in every sense of the word. (The best toy – EVER!)

On flat roads I reached 55 mph easily enough but that’s about it. But who is going to ride the grom on flat roads? No one in their right mind. The bike slows to 50 mph climbing hills and speeds to 60 going down. It will go faster, I’m positively sure, but until I’m broken in I’m not letting the RPM’s get too high. I got the feeling you'd have to lay the Grom on it's side to touch a peg down - plenty of cornering goose bump inducing clearance.

If you feel the need to justify owning a Grom and the need to defend your choice to own one – you care way too much about what others think. I signed my name for one with no deposit down and was told if I go the full 36 months I will end up paying a little less than $160.00 in total interest for the loan. Pffft… $160.00 is a night out at a Hockey Game… not too big a deal to me. $3426.85 OTD including state sales tax, dealer fees, registration, title, …everything. Maybe I could have done better but the bike is awfully new and I’m pleased.

And lastly if anyone is still reading this… The PCX150 can run circles around the Grom. I have one, I know. So if your on your Grom and you pull up to a PCX150 at the light and your about to go all Michael Andretti… save yourself some embarrassment... don’t get cocky.
Thanks for the writeup.
There's about 3 HP difference between the Grom and the PCX so it makes sense the PCX would go faster.
It's been a while since I test rode a Grom and I've been riding a PCX all week. I have to say, it's making me think. Especially because of where I live. Having said that, whenever I look at pics you guys post... It's making me want one bad.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #809
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
New Grom

I picked up my black Grom in Orem, UT on 8/27. $3220 OTD for those that are interested. I already had parts from Tyga, and proceeded to install them that night. The mirrors are KTM, the emblem is from a 2012 VFR.

I put 50 miles on it today and changed the oil. The oil was green. : I did not notice any metal. I add a quart of Castrol 10w30. I'll change it again in a hundred miles.

Here are some random Gromservations:

The brakes were spongy at first, but I was doing hard braking all day and they are bedding in nicely.

The seat is hard, but not uncomfortably so. I think my 207lbs will bend it to my will, and it should soften up.

I had it up to 56 on the flat, normal riding position. I think it will do better as it breaks in.

The Tyga can is not annoying at all. There was some decel popping the first few minutes, but I think the ECU has compensated. I'm going to add some air filter buttons in the air box at some point.

Cagers think I'm a scooter, and they were surprised I came up on them so quickly. At least 3 cars started to pull out in front of me, thinking they had time, I guess.

The bike is slow off the line, but once it gets going, is pretty quick. I would like to change the gearing, but reading about it makes my head explode. It is a long time between shifting.

Around town, the bike is happy in 3rd gear and 45mph. It feels like it starts to bog down, if I shift into 4th. You really need a long straight to get it into 4th.

Big motorcycles will not give me "the wave"

The scooter set will give me "the honk"

The kids at Cycle Gear think my bike is Dope! (That's good, right?)

I'm very pleased with the bike. I just put an LED license plate light in it that I had laying around. I still have to install the tail light flasher, and I want to add some LED driving lights to it at some point soon. It's a small bike and it's obvious the drivers aren't expecting a scooter size bike to be so quick.

I'm sure I've forgotten something. Sorry for the uber long post.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #810
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I picked up my black Grom in Orem, UT on 8/27. $3220 OTD for those that are interested. I already had parts from Tyga, and proceeded to install them that night. The mirrors are KTM, the emblem is from a 2012 VFR.

I put 50 miles on it today and changed the oil. The oil was green. : I did not notice any metal. I add a quart of Castrol 10w30. I'll change it again in a hundred miles.

Here are some random Gromservations:

The brakes were spongy at first, but I was doing hard braking all day and they are bedding in nicely.

The seat is hard, but not uncomfortably so. I think my 207lbs will bend it to my will, and it should soften up.

I had it up to 56 on the flat, normal riding position. I think it will do better as it breaks in.

The Tyga can is not annoying at all. There was some decel popping the first few minutes, but I think the ECU has compensated. I'm going to add some air filter buttons in the air box at some point.

Cagers think I'm a scooter, and they were surprised I came up on them so quickly. At least 3 cars started to pull out in front of me, thinking they had time, I guess.

The bike is slow off the line, but once it gets going, is pretty quick. I would like to change the gearing, but reading about it makes my head explode. It is a long time between shifting.

Around town, the bike is happy in 3rd gear and 45mph. It feels like it starts to bog down, if I shift into 4th. You really need a long straight to get it into 4th.

Big motorcycles will not give me "the wave"

The scooter set will give me "the honk"

The kids at Cycle Gear think my bike is Dope! (That's good, right?)

I'm very pleased with the bike. I just put an LED license plate light in it that I had laying around. I still have to install the tail light flasher, and I want to add some LED driving lights to it at some point soon. It's a small bike and it's obvious the drivers aren't expecting a scooter size bike to be so quick.

I'm sure I've forgotten something. Sorry for the uber long post.

The Grom in white looks AWESOME! I love it!

Thanks for the report. Keep us posted as you put more miles on it. And don't forget the occasional pic either.