Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #4126
Davy F
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audun View Post

How does the R screen compare to the others? (I have both and still unhappy)

Audun

I wear an Arai Tour X lid and I haven't quite found a height setting that suits. The peak just seems to vibrate ever so slightly which is obviously annoying.
Weirdly, I can't remember having the peak issue when I took the demo bike out for a ride. Maybe it's something to do with the comfort seat being taller, but then surely the touring screen would compensate with it being taller ?

The R screen being much shorter solves this issue for me. Now, I do get more bug splatter, but I'll happily put up with that for now. I'll know more after my next trip away, but so far I'm happier with the shorter screen and it wasn't expensive, so worth the gamble.

Weirdly, I can't remember having the peak issue when I took the demo bike out for a ride. Maybe it's something to do with the comfort seat being taller, but then surely the touring screen would compensate with it being taller ?

Davy F screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 06:28 AM
Davy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #4127
numbutt
john

Oddometer: 94
Finding the heated handgrip connector ???

I have been fitting the heated handgrips and all went well until I had to find the connector on the bike to plug them into !! Cant see much from ktm's ''photo ''....picked and poked at the cables but don't seem to find it...should have a yellow with orange stripe wire [do see one coming out of computer ] maybe they poked under the front of the tank out of view ,,,,,,,,,,can anyone who has fitted these throw some light on where this connector is hidden ???
Certainly a bit of a nightmare removing all these panels......I..suppose to get to the air cleaner its the tank off too...surprising the owners manual does not include servicing the air cleaner......
numbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #4128
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,179
In the gap behind the headlight.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #4129
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 204
Davy F I absolutely love your bike´s looks. Only change I would like to add/make is paint the upper side panels form silver to black as well the side protectors again from silver to black. Happy (s)miles

"I've now changed to the Adventure R screen, so that's all three screens in my pocession now. The KTM sidestand flatfoot thingy is a worthwhile addition and I'm so glad I went for the comfort seat(s). The Wings exhaust (standard length) is impressive both in quality and sound. I changed the rear rack to an SW-Motech jobbie as I already had the adaptor plate from my last bike. The orange farkles are just that, little pieces of bling."
Old 08-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #4130
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeaddict View Post
Davy F I absolutely love your bike´s looks. Only change I would like to add/make is paint the upper side panels form silver to black as well the side protectors again from silver to black. Happy (s)miles

I agree.

Scroll down:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21916179

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #4131
Davy F
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer: 214
Thanks, guys.

I did initially think of a colour change for the parts mentioned, but I've just got used to how it is. That's not to say a dash of paint won't ever be applied tho'.

Todays mod is...........

SW-Motech Q/R GPS holder fitted.

The Q/R bit.

The fixed mount.

Base fitted to mount.

And the end result.

Well pleased and the usual SW-Motech quality.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #4132
GVWR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Laugh

@ Davy: make sure the peak of your helmet is in the highest position and the screws are turned firmly.

I have no issues using the Arai Tour X or RX7 helmets on my 1190R with the small screen in the highest position. I'm have mounted bar raisers (approx 2cm) and am 1,85. Best screen and bike yet (compared to my previous BMW GSA 1200 and Multi 1200)
Old 08-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #4133
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCattledog View Post
Hi all,
Just an update; have heavy vibes through the bars on my 1190, enough to give you a numb throttle hand after 30 mls not what I expected on a new bike. I bought the PHDS progressive handlebar damping system as the Dealer said all their long distance touring customers have been using them for years.
Helps a little but I'm not satisfied; paid a lot of money for this bike, should not have this problem, I've been riding V-twins for years, even Buell's and not had this. My last bike was a 990SMT on probs on that.
I've asked to take out their demo to test it against mine and they are happy with that, so I'll give it a go when off next.
Has anyone else had same or similar problems with heavy numbing vibration through the bars, please speak up, if not and your bike runs as smooth as your old 990 or similar twin let me know.
Just as well I put the deposit on Visa as I have their insurance if they try to get shitty.
I reckon its the engine.
Keep you posted.
Try getting your front wheel balanced, there may be some weights missing off the rim, or it might not have been done properly in the first place?

I have done nearly 5000 miles on my 1190R and only had a little vibration in the throttle hand after being in excess of 90mph for some time. Even that seems to have subdued now, or I am getting used to it. I also have the progressive handlebar damping system and that feels fine.

The bike is everything I want and brings a smile to my face every time I ride it. So I can definitely say it is worth sorting out............
Moto Guzzi Griso
BMW HP4 Competition
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #4134
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,179
Mine does the same thing. Check your front tyre.

Mine had a flat spot in it from new. It looks like the tyre hasn't popped correctly onto the rim, but it has. The tyre itself is out of wack.

KTM are replacing it under warranty, but there are none in Australia at the moment so I'm just putting up with it.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #4135
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,187
Hey...has anyone else seen this? 1190 Adventure US pricing?

First time I've seen something about pricing in writing.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #4136
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,623
That won't help US sales....at least for me...I'd like to see the 'R' price....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #4137
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,296
$15,999 is what, a grand more than a 2013 990?

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #4138
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
$15,999 is what, a grand more than a 2013 990?
Or $20/mo....

But I will say it's getting to the price point where taking it out and thrashing it on trails is less attractive than I'd like.

Never the less...if I was a bettin man....I'd bet one of these finds a new home at my house soon.....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #4139
numbutt
john

Oddometer: 94
Ktm cut and bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
In the gap behind the headlight.

Many thanks .....I would never have found it....even where it was behind headlight it was hard to spot as it was tied out of the way. I pity a dealer doing a one off first install he is unlikely to be able to invoice a customer for all the time it takes.
of interest to others who may not be aware of it but there are two ''ACC 1 '' spade connector outlets hiding in the ''box '' in which the lighter outlet up front is mounted. One of which I tested as '' always on '' [ similar color coding to that of the lighter socket except that socket has double wiring making it 2 X 5A=10A yel/red with a brn earth ] The other I haven't checked yet but presume its a ''switched outlet '' in blk/red plus a brn . I normally run a thick cable up the spine of the bike to run extra lights or whatever so adding a relay to this I can also get high power switched up front as well , ( using the switched ACC to energize the relay ].
Now the painful part for some but the simplest way to add outlets/ relays/ access the ACC etc. is to CUT a hole in the side of this ''box'' which I did with a hot knife...comes quite good and is covered by all the plastic bodywork. gives you a nice place to mount things...like I got to make a current limiter for two led lamps I made.........plus maybe a ''pulsar ''.
The next bend and buckle,,,,,,,......I added two 75mm bar raisers between the existing bar clamps and the triple clamp, using 140mm bolts to secure the whole caboose .......now what may be of use to others is how this went cable wise ?? No problem with all the wires and clutch hose. The brake hose comes up a bit short and the mods I did were....bend baster cylinder outlet to better angle.......move whole lever support a bit inward [not a lot needed ......bend the dual hos support mounting lug outward [ its located just inside under tank ]
well so far so good and it looks as if I will be able to stand properly without humping over still to test..{ by way ktm"s ''adjustments '' on the bar clamps and footrests are so puny I don't know why they bother except for the marketing aspect.......
numbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:59 AM   #4140
katoome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thumbs down Major oil leak

Rode my 1190 r to work this week no oil leaks when I left home , major leak when I got to work . I striped the tank and throttle body's off to find the oil pressure switch had spat out the sealing O ring. Maybe a once off but not good for a bike with 800 km on it. The biggest problem could have been a left turn as the oil leaked onto the left side of the tyre.
katoome is offline   Reply With Quote