User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #4786
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Headlight?

OK I road my 09 530 home last night this was the first time I rode it in the dark and as you all already know the headlight sucks! Any suggestions? thanks AB
Old 08-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #4787
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB13 View Post
OK I road my 09 530 home last night this was the first time I rode it in the dark and as you all already know the headlight sucks! Any suggestions? thanks AB
The simplest and cheapest upgrade is a halogen bulb from Sicass. It is way better, but still not quite enough. After that, it just takes money!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #4788
fast4ward
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
I got an HID conversion kit on fleabay. Haven't fitted it yet (that's part of a whole rewiring project to get the 530XC-W street legal and plated in CA), but I'm sure it'll be better than stock ..... I've used these kits before on other vehicles and they have worked fine.

Search for HID BA20D if you're interested.
fast4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #4789
cholla
earth rover

Oddometer: 158
Baja Designs Squadron

I installed a Baja Designs Squadron on my 500 EXC last week. For myself, the Squadron was the solution to the lack of light problem. It's not cheap, but it is a quality product and worth every penny. Actually it's too bright for riding on roads with oncoming traffic. It is blinding, so you'd need to buy the dimmer switch too, if you're gonna be on pavement. I am very happy with this light. It was a plug and play install and took about 45 minutes to complete. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #4790
resqd1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholla View Post
I installed a Baja Designs Squadron on my 500 EXC last week. For myself, the Squadron was the solution to the lack of light problem. It's not cheap, but it is a quality product and worth every penny. Actually it's too bright for riding on roads with oncoming traffic. It is blinding, so you'd need to buy the dimmer switch too, if you're gonna be on pavement. I am very happy with this light. It was a plug and play install and took about 45 minutes to complete. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.
Did some looking didnt know they made this in the model specific, clean looking, dont see anything about a dimmer on there site though.
resqd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #4791
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
There was a guy awhile back posted photos of a unit he imported from Poland or something like that, like the squadron it replaced the stock light assembly in the factory headshell. $500 or so. I got the trail tech X2, works decent at night for me.

Got it. Enduro-Tech LED.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4345

Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWQkF...ature=youtu.be

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bungholio screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 01:29 PM
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #4792
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,458
Quote:
Hold tight. I think Rally Moto Kit will be offering a Rigid LED kit soon.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=300

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #4793
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,253
This is the one I'm going to put on mine at some point.

Globetrottin Headlight

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #4794
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
So I'm getting ready to order tires for the EXC-R and would like some feedback. I know, I said I was going to a while back but now I am ready. Just finished off a set of 6 Days Extremes.
Options in order I see are:
1. MT21 front / MT43 trials rear
2. K760 / K760
3. MT21 / MT21
4. MT21 / D606

I see a lot of praise for the trials rear but I am most concerned about the lack of sidewall tread. I lean the bike over a lot, off or on road.

Was leaning toward the Kendas because they should last similar to the 6 Days, which I liked, at about half the cost.
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #4795
lopaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Britania Concepts on my 08 530EXCR

Quote:
I put on the britania lynx kit. Better lighting, a little bit of a fairing and a dash where I mounted a gps and powerlet outlets.

http://britanniacomposites.com/index...roducts/lynx16
Old 08-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #4796
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrick View Post
So I'm getting ready to order tires for the EXC-R and would like some feedback. I know, I said I was going to a while back but now I am ready. Just finished off a set of 6 Days Extremes.
Options in order I see are:
1. MT21 front / MT43 trials rear
2. K760 / K760
3. MT21 / MT21
4. MT21 / D606

I see a lot of praise for the trials rear but I am most concerned about the lack of sidewall tread. I lean the bike over a lot, off or on road.

Was leaning toward the Kendas because they should last similar to the 6 Days, which I liked, at about half the cost.

I'd go with option 1, been running the Mt-43 for a while now and absolutely love it. The traction when single tracking is amazing compared to a knobby.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #4797
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
l can see the light

Thanks all for sharing what has worked for you, so far the Baja squadron looks like the way I will go if I don't have to rewire my stator. Thanks again. AB:-)
Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #4798
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
I'd go with option 1, been running the Mt-43 for a while now and absolutely love it. The traction when single tracking is amazing compared to a knobby.

Hodakaguy
Ordered, pics when they are mounted
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #4799
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
I sleeve the fuel lines in insulated fire sleeves (available at auto parts stores) that helps keep the heat out of the lines, that with careful routing helps to keep the fuel in the lines cool. I've used larger fuel line to sleeve the fuel lines in as well in the past, pics below.

You'll also get a lot of heat from the engine that soaks directly into the tank, you can line the bottom of the tank with a stick on foil heat tape that helps as well.

What vent are you running on the fuel cap? If its a small unit with the built in check valve toss it! I've seen more than one fail closed, letting the tank pressurize. A vent line from the tank with no check is the way to go.

Here's a link to some pics on my original 530: http://www.advrider.com/forums//show...&postcount=388

Hodakaguy.
Yo HG....I wanted to check back with you on this. I really appreciate your advice - you've helped me out with this bike a few times. I owe you a beer sometime. Anyway, I tried a few things based on your setup. First, I rerouted my lines - I was running very close to the head and high up on it at that. I rerouted so that The line is going under the carb and sort of laying over the top of the starter. The other thing I did was wrap the exhaust - that made a HUGE difference in the radiant heat! Very much recommend that. I even sprung a bit extra to get the titanium colored wrap so it blends in with the pipe...
I also did the heat tape over the forward portion of the tank - up around the head and radiators. Took two rolls of 1.5" x 15' tape to do it. (Side note: if you decide to do this - TAPE your fingers before you start! You'll be surprised how quick you'll get blisters if you don't)

It wasn't that hot out today and I wasn't able to go trail riding and really push it hard - but I can tell it made a huge difference already. It was idling in traffic and running smooth in the canyons today. Not sure if its really fixed yet, but it's definitely better!

Thanks man!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #4800
Beardoge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Some suggestions please.

My 09 530 shakes pretty bad at 40 MPH because of the rimlocks a little faster and it mostly goes away. As a fix I took the front rimlock out and siliconed the hole to keep dirt out. And the bike is 80 percent better.

What I'm asking is if you guys think it's absolutely necessary to have the rear rimlock in place. I know probably everybody that reads this will think I'm nuts. But if I keep the tire up in the high teens near 20 PSI really will the rear rim spin in the tire ?
Beardoge is online now   Reply With Quote