ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #61906
krumgrinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
want inspirational AR photos too?
Exactly what I'm hoping to find at the rally in Steamboat and points along the way!!! Again, thanks for the great advice and info, much appreciated.
2002 Concours (sold)
krumgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #61907
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276

We picked up Alex's Grom last night. It's stupid fun. I'm so jealous.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #61908
LeVeL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Looks like an awesome little scoot! Bikes like this are what peak interest of the masses to get into motorcycling. Have fun!
LeVeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #61909
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Question for the masses.Does anyone know how to figure rolling resistance for a trailer? I'm thinking of getting a enclosed trailer like 7x12,7x14 size and was trying to decide if a single axle or dual axle would pull easier. It seems to me 2 tires would provide less resistance over 4 as far as contact patch. I think 2 axles would provide a smaller footprint on said tires as they would not have as much weight flexing on the side walls etc. Someone help me understand this,my single axle 6x12 causes serious mileage drop,and it is an open trailer. I think it is from the ramp gate, causing drag,even though it is full of holes. Anyone want to offer an opinion on this? Thanks

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #61910
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post

We picked up Alex's Grom last night. It's stupid fun. I'm so jealous.
Haven't seen one in person yet, but thinking I dig it and yes I would ride it too.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #61911
cannonrider
Backroad Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Get well Chuck.
Thanks Mark hope to heal up quick so I don't miss the Fall riding season it's my favorite time to ride.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #61912
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2P View Post
Question for the masses.Does anyone know how to figure rolling resistance for a trailer? I'm thinking of getting a enclosed trailer like 7x12,7x14 size and was trying to decide if a single axle or dual axle would pull easier. It seems to me 2 tires would provide less resistance over 4 as far as contact patch. I think 2 axles would provide a smaller footprint on said tires as they would not have as much weight flexing on the side walls etc. Someone help me understand this,my single axle 6x12 causes serious mileage drop,and it is an open trailer. I think it is from the ramp gate, causing drag,even though it is full of holes. Anyone want to offer an opinion on this? Thanks
I think the wind resistance would be a greater concern BY FAR. I'd go with two axles because it's safer and will offer a greater payload.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #61913
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
want inspirational AR photos too?
You guys ride in OK on that trip? That looks a LOT like a trail we rode in Talimena.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #61914
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
In a 12-14' enclosed trailer, tandem axles are about the only way to go, they will have much more stability and will be more forgiving, not to mention offering twice the braking force. THe rolling resitance between a singe to tandem is negligable and the above pros, far outweigh that as a con.

I have many miles under my belt pulling all sorts of trailers, so take my advice for what it is worth.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #61915
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,817
Quote:
Question for the masses.Does anyone know how to figure rolling resistance for a trailer? I'm thinking of getting a enclosed trailer like 7x12,7x14 size and was trying to decide if a single axle or dual axle would pull easier. It seems to me 2 tires would provide less resistance over 4 as far as contact patch. I think 2 axles would provide a smaller footprint on said tires as they would not have as much weight flexing on the side walls etc.
Mine is 16' with dual axles, brakes work awesome, kills my gas mileage but using a Garmin mechanic in my obd port, keeping it at 55-60 raises 2-3 mpg. A 7' ceiling will kill it further.

Come down and drag it around, I'll put 3 big bikes in it for ballast.

-

Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #61916
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
In a 12-14' enclosed trailer, tandem axles are about the only way to go, they will have much more stability and will be more forgiving, not to mention offering twice the braking force. THe rolling resitance between a singe to tandem is negligable and the above pros, far outweigh that as a con.

I have many miles under my belt pulling all sorts of trailers, so take my advice for what it is worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Mine is 16' with dual axles, brakes work awesome, kills my gas mileage but using a Garmin mechanic in my obd port, keeping it at 55-60 raises 2-3 mpg. A 7' ceiling will kill it further.

Come down and drag it around, I'll put 3 big bikes in it for ballast.

-

Michael
Well thats kind of what I was thinking,getting the dual axel. I'm really looking for something that I can use for bikes,camping,hauling kids shit back and forth. I love the idea of the Toy Haulers,but is way to big and expensive for what I want. United makes a Pop up tent that goes in the side,looks like the end of a pop-up camper. I think that is the way I'm leaning at this point,I'm getting to damn old to sleep on the ground,and the cot, tent route is not always weather friendly. I understand the drag from the trailer itself, It was more of all other things being the same,which would be easier to pull.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #61917
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,582
Ride

Did about 300 miles today with Bob Ramsey on twisty roads and a little DUSTY gravel. (note to self-always be the lead bike on dusty gravel.)
Old 08-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #61918
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
I think the wind resistance would be a greater concern BY FAR. I'd go with two axles because it's safer and will offer a greater payload.
Yep. Rolling resistance is a PITA. It all depends on rubber,weight of trailer,size of tire, etc. Get dual axles if you can, keep a chain handy incase of a blow out and just don't worry as much about the resistance. Plus theres brakes and stability to add to it.

The only real negatives are more tires to worry about when it comes time to buy and the axles pivot when turning between the tires unless one is in a depression then they change the turning point. Not all that much bad considering all the benefits you get running dual axles.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #61919
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post

I've never owned a tandem trailer with 4 brakes. Not even my car trailer. What load rating do they start putting 4 brakes on, or is it an option?
Old 08-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #61920
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
I've never owned a tandem trailer with 4 brakes. Not even my car trailer. What load rating do they start putting 4 brakes on, or is it an option?
It's an option thing I suppose. My old utility trailer I built from a camper, my 12k dump, my car trailer with 6200# axles all have brakes on both, some of my mow trailers do and don't and they all have 3500# axles. The 14' enclosed I am looking at has them as an option on 3500# axles.