ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,492 76.87%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.28%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1941. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #586
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
As a former Cheyenne resident...

The worst bit is getting on/off Davis Monthan AF base.
I could imagine the difficulty...since Davis Monthan AFB is in Tuscon, AZ.

I think you mean F.E Warren. ;)

Like many things, the big problem people have with this is confusing the terms "legal" and "compulsory". Legal means that you "may" not that you "must". If you aren't comfortable with it, don't do it! Fundamental concept of a free society. Not that we're really a free society anymore thanks to those that think they know better what's good for everyone else...
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #587
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
california....knows how to party

of course it should be. talk about a free country. i'd split from here to NYC

imo their is no reasonable argument against it. i mean you can argue, but i've already won so i won't bother

i am a lane splitting fool. too bad for you if you're not

that is all
Old 08-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #588
Ackme
talented fool

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
The whole thing was a series of excuses for why they aren't lobbying for lane-splitting. I mean, they would rather lobby against helmet laws, for fuck's sake.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

"nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"
Ackme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #589
elbigsam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Its not legal here in texas, I generally don't care. I filter in btwn cars at any light, no point getting rearended at a complete stop. If it is actually congested I will slide up to where I can get through the light on the next green. I've never has issues but I'm pretty chill about it. I've filtered on the highway during gridlock from time to time as well. That seems to bother motorists more, not really sure why. I reject the premise that we are in a line when on the road. We are not waiting for a waterfountain, merely travelling to our individual destinations. As long as noone is making the trip take longer for anyone else, its a moot point.
elbigsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #590
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbigsam View Post
As long as noone is making the trip take longer for anyone else, its a moot point.
Oh stop being so rational and reasonable about it, that is confusing the situation.
Many drivers aren't rational about it either, the perception is certainly that everyone is in a line waiting their turn, you line jumper you.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #591
elbigsam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Oh stop being so rational and reasonable about it, that is confusing the situation.
Many drivers aren't rational about it either, the perception is certainly that everyone is in a line waiting their turn, you line jumper you.
elbigsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:21 AM   #592
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
love this vid. lets post it every page
Old 08-31-2013, 05:17 AM   #593
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
After having the possibility of sitting in traffic for hours waiting on the road to be cleared on a major highway I decided to split the lanes. I was amazed at a couple of things.

1. The amount of people that slid over for me so I can get by including a guy in a semi that moved over slightly and then waved me over.

2. The only couple of people who tried to block my path including a box truck who purposely road on the dotted white line so I couldn't split the lane. (It wasn't an issue with me. I merged back into the lane, got around him, and then continued to split.)

The rest of the people were either oblivious until I got by them or didn't care. In fact if I was stopped and didn't move forward at the slightest movement of the cars in front of us they went around me. It was like we were unconcerned with each other's forward progress until it was time for us to merge into the one lane to get around the traffic accident.

I think that it should be legal and TAUGHT in MSF courses.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:15 AM   #594
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

i just want to post some thoughts on the subject. personal, subjective thoughts. but so often even among some riders lane splitting is seen as dangerous or reckless. it can be of course. sometimes conditions dictate that. but that is no reason not to love doing it. and i love it

i think a big part of it is being a car driver in SoCal for 27 years BEFORE i ever rode a motorcycle. being a new rider in middle age i didn't hop on a bike at 20 and never feel the weight and REALITY of what it means to drive a car around Greater L.A for almost three decades. i felt it but did not know it. it just was. when i started riding the invisible weight was lifted and lane splitting just blows it away

i split "at speed" while traffic is moving. that is my lane, thank you. i split when road work is being done, i snake in and out of traffic and slide by mere inches from fuming city buses. right hand turners are great as they block the right lane waiting on crossing pedestrians and make it mine as i swoop around and take it, road open ahead

tonight i split and stopped for gas and a bite. leaving 10 minutes later i noticed cars at a light i had passed ten minutes before. they continued on two minutes ahead and i caught them and passed again, splitting right by. its like time travel, but its real

its my favorite part of riding. i feel like i am not supposed to say that. too risky to be fun, take it seriously. that goes without saying for all riding. and splitting and riding are not always just fun. or fun at all

but splitting is beyond that for me. it a whole and complete experience. and i like the feel of riding inches from cars, sliding by ever so deftly, and leaving it all behind. for me, that is the beauty of riding
Old 09-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #595
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
i just want to post some thoughts on the subject. personal, subjective thoughts. but so often even among some riders lane splitting is seen as dangerous or reckless. it can be of course. sometimes conditions dictate that. but that is no reason not to love doing it. and i love it

i think a big part of it is being a car driver in SoCal for 27 years BEFORE i ever rode a motorcycle. being a new rider in middle age i didn't hop on a bike at 20 and never feel the weight and REALITY of what it means to drive a car around Greater L.A for almost three decades. i felt it but did not know it. it just was. when i started riding the invisible weight was lifted and lane splitting just blows it away

i split "at speed" while traffic is moving. that is my lane, thank you. i split when road work is being done, i snake in and out of traffic and slide by mere inches from fuming city buses. right hand turners are great as they block the right lane waiting on crossing pedestrians and make it mine as i swoop around and take it, road open ahead

tonight i split and stopped for gas and a bite. leaving 10 minutes later i noticed cars at a light i had passed ten minutes before. they continued on two minutes ahead and i caught them and passed again, splitting right by. its like time travel, but its real

its my favorite part of riding. i feel like i am not supposed to say that. too risky to be fun, take it seriously. that goes without saying for all riding. and splitting and riding are not always just fun. or fun at all

but splitting is beyond that for me. it a whole and complete experience. and i like the feel of riding inches from cars, sliding by ever so deftly, and leaving it all behind. for me, that is the beauty of riding

Old 09-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #596
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,585
Quote:

I understand completely.

Sharing lanes was one of the big motivating factors for me buying a moto in the first place: so there I was, sitting in my F150 creeping along the 5 headed to Mission Valley when a moto zoomed past me.

Huh?! Wha?!

...then another one went by...

By the third, I realized that that made too much sense not to do too. I bought an 04 RT and joined em!

M
Old 09-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #597
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 502
THE ANSWER TO THE THREAD IS NO, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool who should have his motorcycle confiscated.

The United States also has control over a federal district and fourteen territories in which lane splitting should be legal as well
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #598
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,606
Quote:

Nicely stated. Dancing on lane lines can be just as fun as dancing in a canyon. Risk and reward in both.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #599
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
THE ANSWER TO THE THREAD IS NO, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool who should have his motorcycle confiscated.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #600
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Missed the [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] indicators didya?

M