Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #2761
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Are these actually out there, on the ROADUS?
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #2762
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post

Wasn't a lost master link or neglected...sometimes chains will break when thrashed hard. Not often, but always a pretty spectacular clusterfuck when they do.
This is why they make chain guards .
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #2763
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post

Wasn't a lost master link or neglected...sometimes chains will break when thrashed hard. Not often, but always a pretty spectacular clusterfuck when they do.
This is exactly why they should run shaft drive on all track bikes...
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #2764
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
Nobody runs a chain guard on a roadrace or dirt bike. They just get in the way, and hinder access to the chain for maintenance.

While I like a lot of stuff about the Motus, especially the engine, tubeless tires, and centerstand, It does not look like they are ever going to get off the ground. Look at what Polaris did with Indian. Not the bike for me, but they designed and built a completely new bike from the ground up, including new frame and engine, and have it for sale, all in less than 3 years after buying the name. Even if Motus makes it initially, it is likely to be a repeat of E-H, and at any rate, it costs way more than I can afford, so I am leaving this thread. I hope they do make it, but I am not going to be one of their customers. I'll read the reviews when and if they make it to the magazines.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:50 AM   #2765
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
While I like a lot of stuff about the Motus, especially the engine, tubeless tires, and centerstand, It does not look like they are ever going to get off the ground. Look at what Polaris did with Indian. Not the bike for me, but they designed and built a completely new bike from the ground up, including new frame and engine, and have it for sale, all in less than 3 years.....
Even with those three tech advancements, Motus has done the same thing as Indian. Ground up frame, engine, total bike in under 3 years. Having bikes ready to fill orders this fall.

This is NOTHING like the 110 million cash grab EH was other than the 2 wheels. It would be great if people understood exactly what happened there and stop comparing every upstart with them.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:59 AM   #2766
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Nobody runs a chain guard on a roadrace or dirt bike. They just get in the way, and hinder access to the chain for maintenance.

While I like a lot of stuff about the Motus, especially the engine, tubeless tires, and centerstand, It does not look like they are ever going to get off the ground. Look at what Polaris did with Indian. Not the bike for me, but they designed and built a completely new bike from the ground up, including new frame and engine, and have it for sale, all in less than 3 years after buying the name. Even if Motus makes it initially, it is likely to be a repeat of E-H, and at any rate, it costs way more than I can afford, so I am leaving this thread. I hope they do make it, but I am not going to be one of their customers. I'll read the reviews when and if they make it to the magazines.
Jerry, as always you add 1 + 1 and come up with 3!

Comparing what Polaris has done with Indiain (great job BTW) with what Motus is doing is not a fair comparison as Polaris already has a manufcaturing facility and experience building ATV's and motorcycles (Victory). Yes it is remarkable that Polaris has brought to market Indian in 3 years. Motus is much smaller and is a ground up new company building a brand new bike. Cut them some slack and give them some credit for what they are doing! We will see Motus on the road soon. They will be impressive. However like you, I won't be able to afford one but unlike you, I will certainly lust after one.

I wish them huge amounts of success!

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #2767
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
From Motus on Facebook:
"286 miles on a single 5.5 gallon tank! The American V4 exceeds expectations again as the benchmark was 250 miles/tank. The fellas behaved (with a few notable exceptions) and stuck to the pre-determined test of all interstate, all at/below the posted speed limit. 68mph/2900 rpm average. Lake Ponchatrain, LA to Cottondale, AL without stopping....92-94 deg. ambient. One test rider noted- "Glad to know the interstate range now, but next time can I just kick in $3.69 and buy the extra gallon so I can get back a LOT quicker?" At 70mph, the MST spin 3000rpm and has over 100 ft lbs on tap.....there aren't many sportbikes that can do that AND be comfortable for over 4 hrs straight. Next goal: 300 miles/tank."

"We don't think you'll be disappointed with the twist of the American
V4....almost 95 ft lbs to the ground...at 2600 rpm...then up from there. In
base MST tune."

Two hundred and eighty six miles on a 23 litre tank, or about 460km, which works out to 5 litres per 100 km or roughly 47mpg. Not bad from a 1650cc four.

I was concerned they might drop the ball on this after dumping the direct injection but no, they're right up there.

You guys in the 'States are lucky to (almost ) have this option.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #2768
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,227
at least JerryH is leaving this thread....my dreams have been answered

Comparing Motus' startup to a giant corporation like Polaris' revival of Indian is so typical of his brainless meanderings thru these threads.
And it happened in 27 months, much less than 3 yrs.

I like what I read though about the range per tank, that's impressive.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #2769
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,925
Great initial report on mpg. I can't wait to see a report on the mileage with some more real world sport touring - high revs in 4th gear through sweepers, cruising at 90+ to cover ground.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #2770
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
That mpg is very respectable.
arshishb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #2771
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
at least JerryH is leaving this thread....my dreams have been answered

Comparing Motus' startup to a giant corporation like Polaris' revival of Indian is so typical of his brainless meanderings thru these threads.
And it happened in 27 months, much less than 3 yrs.

I like what I read though about the range per tank, that's impressive.

Don't hold your breath, we can't be that lucky, can we?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #2772
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Don't hold your breath, we can't be that lucky, can we?
Not a chance..
I've had him on ignore forever, but people keep freaking quoting him...
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #2773
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,292
I wish Motus would tell us when we can buy these puppies!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #2774
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
I wish Motus would tell us when we can buy these puppies!
I think I'd let other people be the first model guinea pigs. Not that they're not journalists first , but I'd like to see a magazine test too.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #2775
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I think I'd let other people be the first model guinea pigs. Not that they're not journalists first , but I'd like to see a magazine test too.
I understand that point of view - however, I'd like to offer a counterpoint. Lets say Motus is not successful as a company - but the bikes are great. Awesome reliability, great riding bikes. Plus, it's an awesome design sketch, and the purpose is excellent......

I kinda wanna buy one right away just in case. With proper care, the bike might last me the rest of my life. I'd hate to miss out on these beauties.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote