ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #12556
PrairieRider
Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
I keep thinking about buying a Ural Patrol just to be able to use the bike more. Yes, I know they have their issues. But they're 2WD with a reverse, which would be mighty handy in mud and snow. And dogs just look so cool when riding in a sidecar.
I've often thought the next bike I have will have a side car. Be great for errands around town and 4-season to boot!
1994 Beta Techno 250

Striving to do better.
PrairieRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #12557
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,631
Quote:
I keep thinking about buying a Ural Patrol just to be able to use the bike more. Yes, I know they have their issues. But they're 2WD with a reverse, which would be mighty handy in mud and snow. And dogs just look so cool when riding in a sidecar.
They are a TON of fun and great for Dogs. You just have to forget everything you know about riding and start over. I sure do miss mine. The main thing with a Ural is that newer is better.

Marc
Old 08-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #12558
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaParkerColo View Post
I like how the cooler provides easy access to adult beverages to help calm your nerves from the truly awesome cross-winds you would encounter
Well, there are lots of folks who prefer the low canoe mount, especially in older times:
Old 08-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #12559
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,052
Where is the RR from the CAM-1000?
Old 08-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #12560
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,250
Version 2.0 of the rack is done

Do I get extra credit for using KTM orange groove filler?

Nothing too scientific.. I took the hole that was at the back.. slid it to the front and drilled another hole. The leading bar sits nicely up and over the seat with no contact. I still have LOTS of room even with a backpack on. I think I may still add a "cross" on the luggage rack even though the bike is super stable with the tie downs going to the lower tie downs.

Here you can see the twist ties and how easily they hold the front wheel and stand it off

For local day rides.. the Gobi's offer tons of space for carrying ride gear (and a place to lock/store moto gear when pedaling).

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #12561
LoneRhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Sweeter still. Where'd you get that KTM fast orange groove filler and orange ties? That orange is bound to make it all faster!!!!

AMA / NCTR.net
“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on Earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” – Anon
LoneRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #12562
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJones View Post
Sweeter still. Where'd you get that KTM fast orange groove filler and orange ties? That orange is bound to make it all faster!!!!

Impressive Ed.

I want one

What is the estimated manufacturing cost of materials?
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #12563
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Version 2.0 of the rack is done ...
Looking good! I like that setup much more than V1...

Any thoughts on a way of mounting the 15/20mm thru axle fork directly instead of using a quick-release fork mount and an adapter? The QR/Adapter setup is expensive, clumsy, and adds another failure point to the setup.

Seems like the rack industry is way behind the curve on this... Mounting a thru-axle fork should be much simpler than a QR mount, but it seems like everybody just makes adapters instead of a direct 15mm or 20mm fork mount.

--edit---
I just run across this... Looks like this would work great. Reasonably priced at $19, unlike the ridiculous amounts some companies want for their fork adapters! Comes in 15mm and 20mm thru-axle versions.

kuat racks dirtbag

pfb screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 12:52 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #12564
Geek OP
oot & aboot

There's actually another one out there Paul that locks - i.e. it requires a key to release the axle/bike.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #12565
big_sur
Tarded

Oddometer: 612
This may be the ultimate in laziness but I'm thinking about giving up my 2010 KTM 690 Duke. Been down, cosmetic damage to tail fairing and tail Light. Rash on front rim. Full maintenance records, excellent mechanical condition. Would like to trade for fuel injected enduro, plated bike preferred.

Sent from my phone
Old 09-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #12566
big_sur
Tarded

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
This may be the ultimate in laziness but I'm thinking about giving up my 2010 KTM 690 Duke. Been down, cosmetic damage to tail fairing and tail Light. Rash on front rim. Full maintenance records, excellent mechanical condition. Would like to trade for fuel injected enduro, plated bike preferred.

Sent from my phone
Forgot to mention. ...14k miles and cash either way is fine. Husky 310, ktm 350 preferred.

Sent from my phone
Old 09-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #12567
Geek OP
oot & aboot

A 2:1 ratio today (2 hours on the Yeti and 1 hour on the 950) because I ran into the heat (didn't start early enough )

I think a 3:1 ratio will be the ideal way to enjoy 4 hours.

... oh and if the parking lot at the Open Space is busy; you have to factor in another half hour for answering questions

Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #12568
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,383
Last episode of sidestandup Sept 17th

this just in :(

Noonish on a Saturday in March of 2007 I met Max Pecins at Jax on Edgewater Drive in Orlando Florida for lunch explaining to him I wanted to start a radio program about motorcycles. I had summoned Max as he had worked in the radio industry in the past from DJ to producer, I couldn't spell radio if you spotted me the first three els at the time not sure I could much better today. September 1st a Saturday morning six years ago today at 7 am eastern (awesome time slot for a fishing show not so much for a motorcycle show) with Jared a Full Sail student behind the glass at then ESPN affiliate WHOO 1080 AM in Orlando the mics of Max Pecins as announcer, co-host Jerry Watts, and myself were potted up for the first episode of SideStand Up "The World's Only Motorcycle Radio Road Show". WE WERE OFF! The First Tuesday of that November we teamed up with Talkshoe moving SSU to live stream on the net, the first episode is a hilarious mess still available for down load ( Jerry said to leave it in the archives, I begrudgingly agreed).
The last six years have be an absolute joy, miles of smiles, witnessed events and vistas I had never imagined, and made a host new friends for life. A rider I miss everyday the late Guzzi Mike Abernathy joined the team during the first year adding his "at any rate" Midwest zing and humor (someday we will ride together again Mike). Starting with Denise Maple the fall of 2008 a corespondent team who expertly covered every aspect of motorcycling accidentally fell into the mix that no other program of any type could match.....bar none. About a year and a half in Grizz "Mike " Newton slipped into the co-host chair over the last four and a half years we have laughed, conspired, had heated arguments over a topic many times on the same side of the issue just from a different view (chuckling) yet laughing at the end of every conversation (I guess you can say we never went to bed mad). I will always be in debt for his tireless work, our looonng late night discussions mapping the future of SSU while solving world problems along the way, being a close confident and great friend. With the generous time and devotion of all of corespondents their topics and guests (who's many names I destroyed), SSU has risen to be the most listened to motorcycle radio/podcast of a talk show format with a global audience. Not one motorcycle show has more listeners in more countries. We have received emails from Korea, Viet Nam, Columbia, Canada, throughout Europe, Africa, and one from Antarctica. We ahve talked live with women and men moto adventurers on the rode from over 30 different countries, nobody has those numbers nobody and it is all due to the SSU team the most passionate riders on the air today. I could not have done anything close alone, I am deeply thankful for their participation and commitment to SSU.
So now the day is near September the 17th the last live episode of SideStand Up "The World's Only Motorcycle Radio Road Show". Reason? To many to explain. The final decision was not made until last Tuesday evening on my ride from Indianapolis to Kokomo. This isn't the hardest decision I have ever made, it is the most carefully thought through, and by far it is certainly the most emotional. I have treated SSU, our team, guests, sponsors, etc as my child, held her dear to my heart. SideStandUp.com will stay on the net for the next couple of years, the episodes will live on there along with Talkshoe.com, Itunes, And Zune. Will she ever return?..... I hope so in some way I just can't promise. I Hope to see you all September the 17th at 8 eastern for the best damn send off imaginable for a great Lady.
May the Moto Gods bless us all.
Live to ride another day!
Tom
PS I want to be sure to thank the most dedicated, loyal, passionate advocate, and friend of the show Willy for being there every week. I love you deeply friend.
TOM loudermilk show host
http://www.sidestandup.com/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #12569
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
Quote:
I rode one. Horrible machine but a hoot to own. Not ride.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #12570
sapienwaste
gahhhhhhhhhhh.

Oddometer: 28
I know some of you guys in the area had\have a husky 610te. Can I borrow a flywheel puller? I think it's 35mm internal threaded, right handed. Any love?
sapienwaste is offline   Reply With Quote