User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
prestonpaul OP
What?

Oddometer: 1,491
DIY Arduino carb synchroinzer

I mentioned having a crack at this over on the Harmonizer thread in Vendors and there was a fair bit of interest so I decided to start a thread outlining what I've done.
First off I wanted to start by saying it's NOT a DIY Harmonizer, the Harmonizer is Grok's creation and this is not an attempt to copy it or rip him off in any way. I don't have access to a Harmonizer so I've not reversed engineered it so any resemblance is coincidental.

The basic principle for the idea is taken from here as is the software, I have no idea whatsoever about writing software and don't really have time to learn right now so if anyone wants to pick the software side of this up and run with it, feel free, as long as you keep everything open source.

The basis of the project is an Arduino Uno R3 which for those that don't know is an open source microprocessor development board. These can be picked up cheap on eBay, the programming software is free, there is a huge Arduino knowledge base out there, they will run off 12 volts so can run off the bike's battery, and I had one left over from a home brewing project I never finished

The sensors I used are Freescale MPX4115AP absolute pressure sensors. The reason I chose these sensors is they were used as the MAP sensor for the first virsion of the Megasquirt DIY EFI controller so I knew they should do the job. They are good from 15 to 115 kpa so will cover most aplications, however if you are in to forced induction you would need to use the MPX4250AP which is good for 250kpa.
Yes, I could have used the GM MAP sensors as per the original design, but I wanted to keep it compact with a long term plan to put it all on to a board which will plug directly into the Arduino.

The last major component is the LCD IIC 4x20 display which I purchaced on ebay for about $10.00 This is a serial display so doesn't take up a lot of pins on the Arduino that we need for inputs.

Finally we need a few discreet components, 1 x 1.0uf electrolytic capacitor and 1 x 0.01 ceramic capacitor per sensor. I added a LED and 220 ohm resistor just so I could see that the Arduino was on.
The schematic is as follows:

And can be downloaded as a PDF here

you will notice that there are a bunch of buttons up the top, they are not necessary at all for the synchronizer to function. My idea was to have them in a diamond layout so they can be used to scroll through a menu with an enter button in the middle, like a joypad sort of setup. They aren't used by the current software and may not make it on to the board.

I currently have the synchronizer running on a breadboard on my desk and it appears to be working ok, I get reading changes when I suck and blow on the sensors but that's about it so far. I have yet to try it on a bike to see how it works.

I have the schematic done up on Eagle PCB, but have yet do do a board layout as 4 sensors won't fit in the space allowed in the free version of Eagle. I need to find another PCB layout program that is free and will accept Eagle files so I don't have to re-do the schematic.

That's probably as far as I am going to get for a while, Spring is here and I have a bunch of bee hive stuff to build and paint so I don't miss out on any honey plus I have a bunch of other jobs to do at home and around our farm, and I would like to do a bit of riding at some point too
If anyone has any suggestions for changes or things I should have done differently or is able to take on the software side of things let me know and we can work on it.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask them and I will do my best to answer them. Just don't expect immediate answers.
Please don't ask if I will build you one, as it's not going to happen.
If you want to know where to get parts, try google or eBay
If you want to know how to load the software, again, try google. There are plenty of tutorials out there, both written and Video format. Thats how I learned to do it
Old 09-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Zebedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Still a noob when it comes to Arduino, so looking forward to seeing how this little project works out ...

John
Old 09-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Still a noob when it comes to Arduino, so looking forward to seeing how this little project works out ...

John
Arduino noob here, too. I have a couple motorcycle projects I'd like to attempt once I get a better understanding of the system.

Too cool!
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
join, very interested in this project
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Arduino?

Sounds like overkill and expensive. You can sync carbs with some plastic tubing and oil. There are many descriptions on the web, here is one.

http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
prestonpaul OP
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/W View Post
Sounds like overkill and expensive. You can sync carbs with some plastic tubing and oil. There are many descriptions on the web, here is one.

http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp
Yes you can, and there is nothing wrong with doing it that way, although I would imagine it would get a bit fiddly on a 3 or 4 cylinder bike. I can also sync my carbs using my Morgan Carbtune and get a good result as well, but my inner geek likes to play with stuff like this so that's what I do
Old 09-02-2013, 03:42 AM   #7
Zebedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/W View Post
... You can sync carbs with some plastic tubing and oil ...
... but can you also use plastic tubing and oil to check the OBD codes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonpaul View Post
... but my inner geek likes to play with stuff like this so that's what I do
+1

John
Old 09-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
TeneRay
2>4

What program is that you used to draw the schematic?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:05 AM   #9
prestonpaul OP
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeneRay View Post
What program is that you used to draw the schematic?
I have done the schematic on Eagle PCB, but have yet do do a board layout as 4 sensors won't fit in the space allowed in the free version of Eagle
I have downloaded DesignSpark PCB designer this evening and have just started playing with it. It may take me a while to get my head around it
Old 09-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
TeneRay
2>4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonpaul View Post
I have done the schematic on Eagle PCB, but have yet do do a board layout as 4 sensors won't fit in the space allowed in the free version of Eagle
I have downloaded DesignSpark PCB designer this evening and have just started playing with it. It may take me a while to get my head around it
Doh! I'm retarded. Somehow I skipped that last paragraph in your OP when you said you used Eagle PCB.

Cool. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Those Arduinos are great for beginners. I know a little about electronics and have used a couple of Arduinos for various projects. Air suspension on a trailer, cooling fan controller, tow mode actuator to use a servo to lower a gauge panel (very James Bond). Almost made my own analog gauges as well (got the stepper motors working but quit at the graphics and when I found a good deal on off the shelf gauges).
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,268
Very interesting. A pure shame that life has gotten in the way of Grok's invention. It would sell very well, especially the 4 input version he was developing.

I think this has great potential. Good luck with it.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,831
Cool stuff.

I'm looking at Arduino to do some internet enabled garage door controllers.

Basic, cheap, and there are lots of add-on "shields" available, and that can be created.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
prestonpaul OP
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Very interesting. A pure shame that life has gotten in the way of Grok's invention. It would sell very well, especially the 4 input version he was developing.

Jim
Totally agree,
I will still buy one if he ever restarts production.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #15
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,390
Cool. I have thought about doing the same just for fun.