User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Best practices using a motorcycle lift table

I thought it would be helpful (at least it would be to me!) to collect techniques, ideas, tips and best practices as well as the "what not do do's" with regards to using a motorcycle lift table. I'm a new lift table owner and I'll admit to being a bit nervous when my bike goes on, up, down and off the lift table. Especially when tending to thing by myself.

So, if you've been there/done that with a lift table and have any suggestions on what to do or not do...please chime in.

Here's my contribution that you can file under "Duh, that's obvious".

I recently loaded my bike onto the table, strapped it down and then depressed the "UP" pedal. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Checked to be sure the compressor was on...check. "Great", I thought..."new table and it's already got a problem". Upon further review, I noticed that I had managed to allow the air hose to get directly under one of the rear legs of the table, which pinched the hose shut and blocked all air from the table.

So, boys and girls, make sure you know where the air hose is and keep it the heck away from the table when lowering things.

Many thanks,

Bob
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Had one for 13 years so far and don't know I've ever found it more complicated than push bike up, tighten front wheel clamp, put on under/swingarm stand, begin work.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,585
I am really tempted to wrting sonmthing grumpy, like, "if you need a best pracices thread to use a lift, you shouldn't buy a lift."

But, then, I recollected that I do know how to spell Hubris, and decided to hush up.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,956
If you have the bike on the lift while using a rear stand, be sure to secure the rear stand if you plan to raise the front with a front stand. I did a lot of damage to my track bike when the rear stand started sliding backwards while I was working on the front. Total trainwreck when the rear stand slid off the back of the lift. And I had the lift high enough so the bike ended upside down on the floor. Since then I drilled a couple holes in the back of the lift and use a "U bracket" or clamp around the handle of the rear stand to secure it. My problem was the front wheel clamp was in the way so I started moving the bike backwards to get room to work on the front. Didnt realize how far back I had it. If my front wheel clamp came off easy, it would have been a different story.

I also have a heavy rod that runs from the ceiling parallel to the lift so if I want to add some straps to secure the bike I can. Just don't forget to release those straps when lowering the lift.

PMR
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,181
Mind your center of gravity.. My HF lift, when in the down position, is way over the front caster/leveling screws. Usually no problem, but, when jacking in the center of the table ( like for swing arm removal, etc) it gets funky. A ratchet strap from the front wheel chock Up to the ceiling joists restores order. Seems simple to me, but I've been rigging for 30 years.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
I am really tempted to wrting sonmthing grumpy, like, "if you need a best pracices thread to use a lift, you shouldn't buy a lift."

But, then, I recollected that I do know how to spell Hubris, and decided to hush up.
Hush up works for me.
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
Hush up works for me.
Not for me...

How many threads are you going to start in this sub-forum to find out how to put your bike on the lift table?
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,888
Make sure everything... EVERYTHING is out of the way when it comes down. I lowered mine once and it caught the edge of my garage garbage can. All ended well but my lift is only attached at the front scissor. All else is rollers on the table and frame. The front lowered, the rear didn't. 1000lb bike and well over 1000lb lift yet a Rubbermaid can nearly killed it all

If you have safeties on your lift, use them. If not, lower it when a bike is on it and you are leaving it overnight.

Get a bunch of those cheap $3 6" magnetic bowls from Harbor Freight. They stick to the lift and can be placed all over to hold screws, nuts and sockets.

Oya, common sense but if you have kids or dumbass friends, disconnect the controls when not in use.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
Not for me...

How many threads are you going to start in this sub-forum to find out how to put your bike on the lift table?

he is a bit fussyaboot the little things