Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #46
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 457
The whole salvage vs. New thing isn't a issue. I have the hondamatic version which complicates thing due to some timing magic Honda did; oem CDIs are unobtainable new and at outrageous prices used. I was about to pull the trigger on the ignitech unit, an then I saw the post I quoted. I was wondering if they were used or clones or what? The ignitech guys are pretty much the only ones with a rep that I have found.

I guess a better way to word it is, what source are you using? :)

Marshalltown isn't too bad. The riding could be a little better, but it is Iowa after all.

Posted during work using magic

argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #47
eric123
Gott Mit Uns

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman View Post
Why, why, why did I sell mine

I will be reading that entire thread start to finish...
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #48
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by argentcorvid View Post
is this just a GN thing? Or CDIs on general? I know about ignitech, but the possibility of an cheap alternative is interesting. Got a CB400 that needs a new spark box.

Posted during work using magic
There's various others, but the GN-engine is still produced in China as a 300cc version. That's why there's so many cheap spares out there as well...
Old 03-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #49
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,267
I had the best time with my wife on a GN400, riding upstate NY and Canada..

but once back in Brooklyn it became this!!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #50
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,588
Hey Eric:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45404.0
Old 03-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #51
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanno View Post
There's various others, but the GN-engine is still produced in China as a 300cc version. That's why there's so many cheap spares out there as well...
dang. i knew i shouldnt have got my hopes up.
argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #52
speedshop
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Cdi

We are looking at the GN400 Cdi unit, if its viable to produce a new one we will. It'll be plug and play desinged to work as per the standard one if so.

Theres a good chance of a 12 volt conversion kit too.
speedshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #53
DoubleBit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Wow! So glad to see this thread picked up so many riders. Looks like the 400 is the preferred rig. Sad to admit it, but I sold my gn250 to a young guy last summer, I caught a glimpse of him with a friend/passenger on one of my local back roads, brought a smile... She's still out there! Occasionally I miss the GN, but my DR650 is treating me well too, so no complaints.

Cheers!

Riding whatever runs, wherever I want.
DoubleBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #54
philW650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48

philW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #55
royota
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Speedshop any update on the cdi unit i have a couple motors sitting around and in need of cdi's. I dont want to shell out the coin for a used one or a NOS which are ridiculous, also 12v conversion sounds great to me.
royota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #56
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Hello there,
Iris, my wife, started riding on a GN 400 in 1981 and since that time, we always had one or two of them running. In the meantime we got a compilation of about 3 complete bikes, one more could be built from all the parts lying around in our barn and there are parts of about 3 more incomplete bikes. Sadly, usually the parts you need are shot on the wrecked bikes you get offered.
I have to admit, that the GNs slipped a bit out of our focus since I got my 1988 Suzuki DR Big 750 in 2008 and Iris her 2004 Ducati Monster 800 this spring. But they're not and never will be forgotten, especially, as they saved our motorcycling souls at times when money was too tight to run and repair our bigger or more complicated bikes (Triumph Tiger Trail, Triumph Bonneville, the already mentioned Big 750, 250 off-road MZ, 175 off-road Hercules Sachs).
We always lookeed at the GN as being some kind of modern BSA Gold Star or something like that, light, powerfull enough, good handling and ... reliable! I think, all in all we put about 150. - 200.000 kms on them. Iris still likes her in nearly standard trim, which is a bit too cramped in seat-position for me. So I put on a super-bike handle-bar and some BMW GS foot-rests (a bit narrower and higher-positioned than the original ones) on mine. So I'm no more pushed towards the small step in the seat (we only have TD-models, the L-model has a highly stepped seat, a buckhorn handle-bar and cast wheels) and lean-angle on the right side now is limited by the exhaust-clamp that I'm used to grind off. On the left side, the lean-angle is limited by the poor tyre-performance.
That's were my plans of beefing up the little thing come in. I'd like to put a 17-inch-rim on the back to get a better tyre-choice. Brakes are fine so far, there's no big need for changes. I'm planning to put a rear-swinging-arm from an RM- or PE-model in it. They're made of alloy and they're a bit longer. The resulting plus of wheel-base might compensate for the lift of the back by the bigger wheel. I don't, but Iris experiences a bit of a wobble in the bars with the slightly fatter mm- compaired to the original inch-tyre-sizes and the slightly longer Koni rear-shocks when doing 100 km/h or more. I address this to the some 40 kgs I do weigh more than her because I hadn't this effect on my bike with about the same set-up. And I would like to make mine look more like a Super Moto or a Street-Scrambler/-Tracker. So that it looks the way it is ridden ...
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 10-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #57
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 630
To royota and speedshop; so far my GN400 is running fine using:
Honda CH250 original or clone CDI
Honda CH250 original or clone coil/plug lead

It uses the trigger signal from the 10 degree BTDC coil only. The other trigger coil is not used at all. Starts easy, idles fine, gotten the bike over 6,000 rpm on it. The Honda parts are plentiful, reliable and inexpensive. But to make this work you really need to match the coil to the CDI. Before I was running the Honda CDI with the stock Suzuki coil at it sputtered to get over 4500 rpm. Now over 6000 rpm is working good.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #58
royota
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thank you Andy I have been checking in every couple months glad to get a response. Awesome news.
royota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #59
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 630
I still suspect though, that the CH250 CDI may have too gradual of an advance curve for the timing on the GN400. Stock timing advance on the GN400 is a curved ramp up from 2000 RPM up to max advance at 4500, then the curve flat lines to redline.

Stock timing advance on the CH250 is a linear ramp, up from 1500 RPM up to max advance at 7000 RPM and redline. The CH250 service manual says to check for max timing advance (F mark on the rotor) at 7,000 RPM. Maybe a scooter needs such gradual advance for easy sedate riding. Don't wanna scare grandma on the scooter with too much advance!

So, that is far too gradual an advance curve for good performance on a big bore single. So I am testing a switch wired between the stock GN 10 degree pulser coil and the 35 degree pulser coil. Switched to the 10 degree pulser coil gives me real easy starting and a smooth idle. Then switching to the 35 degree pulser coil should give much better performance. I do recall, last year I did get the GN started when I had it wired to the 35 degree pulser coil and it ran strong!! My buddy popped a wheelie on it real easy, said "THAT never happened before!"
Old 05-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #60
Robb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Hoping to resurrect this old thread; have owned hundreds of bikes in my 49 years, but am picking up a GN400 this afternoon ... haven't even seen the bike, seller is delivering for me. Anxious to get some seat time on it; supposedly it runs pretty well, but has no title. Anyone out there have a titled frame for sale?

Am trying to remember whether I've even SEEN a GN400 in person ...

Robb in Milwaukee
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote