Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #46
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I'm still waiting for chrome to come back before I can send my tin out to paint, but in the meantime I busied myself with some other cleanup items. I'm still not quite ready to get my fingers into the engine. In good time, in good time...

The starter was in bad need of cleaning and fresh paint. It seemed to work just fine, but it wasn't looking pretty.

I love learning how all this stuff works! The mysteries begin to unravel for me as I see the functions behind the curtain. The starter solenoid engages the drive wheel, gets to the bottom of it's stroke and fires a line to the actual starter motor to start cranking. Simple and logical, but new to me.

A detailed cleaning, fresh paint, and new brushes has it looking much better.

I bench tested the solenoid and the whole unit and everything seems to be working as it's supposed to. I have my suspicions about the solenoid being properly spaced (those little cardboard shims are pretty old), but for now I'll call it done. I may come back to it later if I don't feel like it's meshing well prior to cranking.

As a funny side note, Jodie (my wife) helped me bench test the solenoid due to my lack of three hands. I wasn't sure which leads or contact points would make it fire, so I was just poking around when WHACK!!! down it went. I was unprepared for the power with which that thing retracts and it scared the crap out of Jodie. After some laughing, we tested it again knowing what to expect. Works well!

Some more polishing work. The generator belt cover was quite nasty.

Wire wheel, then 250 grit, then 400 grit, then denim wheel. Much better!

photo IMG_0291_zps4b361c7c.jpg

Now that I had some final finish parts laying around, old rugs and blankets became necessary implements of parts protection. Ever my companion, Syri had other ideas for proper usage of the rugs.

In the photo above, I had just reinstalled the headbadge and was prepping for fork install. I love those little screw rivets used on the badge, by the way. I've never seen them before but they work great.

Reassembly of the fork legs is easy, but when it came time to install the legs into the crowns, I was scratching my head. A quick search online told me that there's a special tool to pull the stanchions up into place. Nonsense, I say! Special tools are for quitters!

This is my favorite improvised tool to date, made even better by the fact that it was comprised of parts already in the garage.

One (1) rear quick-release bicycle skewer and one (1) toggle bolt drywall anchor join forces to become the perfect stanchion puller:

The toggle bolt inserts easily and springs against the threads with an almost unbreakable force. In fact, once the fork leg was in place, it took no small amount of jiggering with a screwdriver to extract the little SOB. The special tool looks much longer than my homebrew tool, so I was worried the length wouldn't be enough, but there too it worked fine.

I love it when a plan comes together:

With this rash of assembly projects, the burden on my cheapo shelf is lifted a bit.

Now I just need to focus on getting the bench fully cleared and ready for the engine tear down. Re-assembly of the rear drive and a few other minor things and it'll be time to get into that monster.

What? Scared? That's stupid! Why would I be scared of it? I'll be awesome at engine stuff. You'll see. And then you'll be...stupider...for sayin' stuff...

Okay, I'm a little scared.
Lucky 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #47
Billedale
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Loving the project! Keep it coming!
Billedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #48
Giddy Up
Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer: 55
Ride the snake, baby

There is only one way to get this bike done before the snow flies: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcz...-the-snake_fun

So funny.

The build is looking great. Let me know when I can come back over and love up your Italian twin.
Giddy Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #49
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Johnny! Glad you could join in. I'm going to try to get the build finished without choking down handfuls of crystal meth, but we'll see if I make it. What's the worst that can happen? I lose 159 pounds in two days and look fantastic?

A little update on the project:

I'm hoping to have chrome back tomorrow. With that done I can start getting my liquid painter figured out. If anybody has suggestions, I'll take 'em.

I've been buried with drawings for a palace in Qatar (my gas money is finally finding its way back home), but later this week I ought to be able to get the rear drive back together and start on the engine.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to follow the build and I'll post up more updates when I have them.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #50
motoree
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
You're THE MAN
Old 09-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #51
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,000

Lordy....great job!
I want one!

I might drag home a pickup load of old Airhead parts / pieces tomorrow if the price is right....maybe I can build a Guzzi out of them?

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #52
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Floods! We've seen a lot of water around here, but thankfully Denver stayed relatively dry compared to other areas. We got 6 inches in 3 days whereas Boulder got over 12. It's a mess up there.

My truck bracing for impact as the storm rolled into Golden thursday night. There's a mountain back there somewhere...

I've been chipping away at the rear drive in my free time and finally got it all back together last night.

Gaskets go into place along with the new seal under the crown wheel:

Duh! Luckily I did a parts inventory before I torqued the retaining flange bolts and found my crown wheel bearing race retainer. Better get that installed:

This was a good reminder to me to fully inventory parts and understand the rebuild process before starting. Usually I know what I'm doing when the wrenches come out so I'm less likely to forget parts. Since this is all new to me, I'm going to need to apply a bit more rigor to my preparedness stages to ensure I don't forget parts. Nothing worse than having something all buttoned up and finding a little part on your bench. Consider it a lesson learned the easy way.

All closed up and getting torqued:

Pinion carrier and swing arm posts reinstalled and plugs temporarily in place:

I think it should be all good to go. I decided against any sort of silicone gasket sealer and just went with a thin layer of wheel bearing grease on the paper gaskets. I've had luck with that in the past and I know for a fact that they left the factory that way, so I'll give it a go. The silicone stuff is just too annoying during rebuilds for me to want to use it. It doesn't help that the previous rebuild used about 10 times more than necessary (and due to the color, I think it may have been off-the-shelf caulk). Either way, we'll see how it holds.

Completely unrelated, we watched our neighbors dog this weekend and now require a 'scheme' to make her our own. She's a 10 month old pup and they leave her in the yard to bark ALL day EVERY day. We've never seen her go on a walk. We hear them yelling at her all the time and based on a few flinches during the weekend, I'm pretty sure they hit her when the mood strikes as well.

Anyway, it seems like they don't like the dog and don't want it. The good news is that they're going to Hawaii for a year and I'm pretty sure they're not prepared for the massive expense of the 4 month quarantine. I'm thinking this might be our opportunity to 'do them a favor' and adopt their dog. Obviously it's touchy ground, but I guess it can't hurt to offer. If anybody has any Machiavellian ideas for me to increase my possibly of success, fire away.

Patch enjoys some attention while I watch the Vikings self destruct...again. Every friggin' year.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #53
eldomike
Who Cares

Oddometer: 684
Patch looks like a great dog....make her yours! or you her's....
eldomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #54
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Nice build so far, enjoying the thread
Old 09-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #55
Okie Shyster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
"Completely unrelated, we watched our neighbors dog this weekend and now require a 'scheme' to make her our own. She's a 10 month old pup and they leave her in the yard to bark ALL day EVERY day. We've never seen her go on a walk. We hear them yelling at her all the time and based on a few flinches during the weekend, I'm pretty sure they hit her when the mood strikes as well.

Anyway, it seems like they don't like the dog and don't want it. The good news is that they're going to Hawaii for a year and I'm pretty sure they're not prepared for the massive expense of the 4 month quarantine. I'm thinking this might be our opportunity to 'do them a favor' and adopt their dog. Obviously it's touchy ground, but I guess it can't hurt to offer. If anybody has any Machiavellian ideas for me to increase my possibly of success, fire away. "

Here are some links that discuss the animal quarantine process in Hawaii as well as the cost.

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal...ormation-page/

http://www.hawaiilife.com/articles/2...aii-with-pets/

My Machiavellian idea is to casually mention to your neighbors that you've heard that taking a pet to Hawaii is a major hassle and huge expense and it may have to be done again when they return to the mainland in a year. Then offer to adopt Patch. She looks like a sweetheart.

Hope you get her. Let us know if you're successful.
Okie Shyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #56
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 5,927
Next time she's chained up all day with no water, call the Animal Control. They will tell the owner that they are bordering on cruelty. It will emphasize the point to the owners that they really don't want and aren't able to care of the dog.
Then you wander over and tell them that you are looking for a dog and would they be willing to part with her? Especially to avoid all those expenses of going to Hawaii.....
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #57
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hmmm, food for thought. That quarantine info is good to know. It's expensive! I'll report back if I make any progress with them.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #58
Chico
Thief and Saboteur

Oddometer: 671
I hear dog food is as expensive as filet mignon in Hawaii. And the local dogs nasty as hyenas.
Chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #59
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Chrome is back!

Exciting. With my tank all chromed, I need to decide on a liquid painter. I think I'll get a few quotes and take it from there. I may talk to Gunslinger in Golden (I hear they have the Harley contract) and there's a few other smaller places I'll get numbers from as well. Anybody had body/paint work done in denver?

Also, I've been trying to decide between decals or silk screen for the logos. I like the idea of staying true to stock and I think the silk screen is a fun detail, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of work (and shipping) to Cycle Garden and the inevitable wait that would ensue. I think I may just go with decals. Does that undermine my efforts in any way? Decisions, decisions.

Well, while I decide those things, I can still be productive. My shocks come back together with new paint and chrome.

photo IMG_0389_zps6d5982be.jpg

Looking good. I'll be excited to hang them on the frame. I think I'll build a stand for the frame and then get the wheels and some of the crash bars and other bits hung on. I'll probably get the swing arm mounted up now just to get it off the floor, but I have a feeling it'll be coming off to make the engine install easier. I'll just cross that bridge when I get to it.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #60
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,152
^Great progress! I musta missed that you were getting your tank chromed - around here, they won't chrome anything like a tank or mufflers that have been used for fear of dirtying the expensive, toxic plating chemicals. About how much $ does plating a tank cost (which looks terrific, BTW), if I can be impolite enuf to ask?

BTWBTW, how's the "Audi hand" doing?
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote